What do you use for home self defence/security?

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

They're out to get you.....    how do you protect yourself when walking around, they must also be after you then, right ????  :whistling:

Not too worried about getting attacked by a crazy in well lit, public areas, during the daytime. 

6 hours ago, moogradod said:

Obviously could become handy if carried in the car. My wife tells me horror stories of people being shot because of a refusal of right of way. Just ask around - you might be surprized.

Out of 66,000,000 people in Thailand, ask your wife exactly how many times this has happened.

You have better odds of winning the lottery and getting struck by lightning the same day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, moogradod said:

Obviously could become handy if carried in the car. My wife tells me horror stories of people being shot because of a refusal of right of way. Just ask around - you might be surprized.

Out of 66,000,000 people in Thailand, ask your wife exactly how many times this has happened.

You have better odds of winning the lottery and getting struck by lightning the same day.

2 hours ago, dj230 said:

Easy to say by people who’ve never experienced needing one 

I don’t blame them though, all these superhero movies and shows, you’d think a few martial arts classes and you can disarm multiple criminals who have knives and guns. 

if you watch some cctv of crimes, its rare to see the person without a weapon winning, a fight between a person who has a knife and someone who doesn’t ends quick, one stab and the other person bleeds out and that’s the end of it, no movie magic of getting stabbed and fighting back only to live to tell another tale 

here’s two headlines of incidents I remember not too long ago of murders in Bangkok because it was in the same area Samut Prakan, I am sure there was more incidents I just don’t recall them 

27-year-old former resident of Pattaya found dead under a bed in Samut Prakan

Condo resident arrested for murder of woman neighbour - Samut Prakan

Try to put this into perspective to relieve your fears?

2 Headlines out of 66,000,000 people.

Do the math.

5 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Very nice dogs.

I've had pit bulls for the last 15 year ++ in Thailand, they make lousy gaurd dogs although in most cases the sight and reputation is normally enough.

They sleep and spend most of their time inside the house, along with two other smaller dogs, and four cats.   Nothing gets near our place without their knowing it and raising the alarm.   Yes, great nature and non agressive, but their appearance doesn't make them any friends.

2 hours ago, KIngsofisaan said:

Try to put this into perspective to relieve your fears?

2 Headlines out of 66,000,000 people.

Do the math.

There is 66,000,000 people in Samut Prakan? 

On 7/10/2022 at 9:33 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

Cross bow, speargun, baseball bat, jungle knife (big). All legal and ordered from Lazada. Waiting for zombies.

You don't have to wait, some are here as posters on ASEAN.

On 7/10/2022 at 11:22 AM, ThailandRyan said:

I have a 4 foot long piece of the 1/2" blue PVC, and a box of metal screws with duct tape wrapped around the screw head.  Pop it into the end of the PVC and you have a blowgun.  Of course that was back in the states, where I also had a handgun.  Use the blowgun also when I lived on the property in Udon Thani.........never had any dogs come and attack ours after the first time.........It was fun to shoot the jingjok's off of the walls as well.

In a stressed situation, be careful when you do a deep breath ????

Nobody mentioned slingshot yet?

On 7/10/2022 at 9:33 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

Cross bow, speargun, baseball bat, jungle knife (big). All legal and ordered from Lazada. Waiting for zombies.

Miyamoto Musashi would say that the weapon and environment must match. Change the environment if you are confined to one weapon, adjust the weapon if you would know the place of the upcoming fight. In your case it seems to be for home defense so you must choose your weapon accordingly.

That said, I believe the optimum for home defense would be (if allowed - of course it is not) to use a compact pump action shotgun with short barrel. Does not kill the intruder but has the needed impact to stop the adversary. May be placed right beneath your bed.

A cross bow and a speargun has but one shot. Missing is probable. A knife is a shortest range weapon. I would suspect that a burglar here in Thailand would carry a handgun for they are very easily attainable. Experience to handle weapons properly is needed as well. Few people have that and it does take more than just a short training course. But maybe you have been playing baseball so a bat would really be legal and appropriate although you would loose against a handheld gun as well.

Your advantage is that you know the environment very well and the intruder does not. You could for example sleep upstairs and prepare the stairs with a very thin string attached to a bell - removed in seconds during the day.

I hope you never need it. Good luck.

• Like 1

Wow! This topic is hilarious! We don't even lock our doors. Neighbourhood eyes are always watching. One small theft at a house just up the way a few years back. Cops spoke to the folks in the neighbourhood and had the guy a couple of hours later. I'm in NST with my farang wife and feel as safe as my home county... Where do you you folks who need all the gear live anyways? Or maybe the question should be, "how do you live?"

Edited by mikebike
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, mikebike said:

Wow! This topic is hilarious! We don't even lock our doors. Neighbourhood eyes are always watching. One small theft at a house just up the way a few years back. Cops spoke to the folks in the neighbourhood and had the guy a couple of hours later. I'm in NST with my farang wife and feel as safe as my home county... Where do you you folks who need all the gear live anyways? Or maybe the question should be, "how do you live?"

We dont lock our doors (in the country that is) as well. In Pattaya we do close and lock the doors.

How do we live ? Very peacefully. Not in fear at all. But it is a nice item for discussion. Anyway nobody cares much about it it seems. Nobody did respond / react to my well wishing and well founded post above. I was  trained in self defense for decades and have acted as a teacher of Traditional Okinawan Martial Arts in 4 different Dojos and might well comment on the subject in particular and in general terms - but instead of profiting aseannow members seem not to be too interested. I noticed that increasing tendency as well for many other subjects.

Even specific tips are not honored by even a small thank you. Difficult to maintain a helping contributing motivation. Not for this topic here, but just in general terms.

23 hours ago, moogradod said:

Miyamoto Musashi would say that the weapon and environment must match. Change the environment if you are confined to one weapon, adjust the weapon if you would know the place of the upcoming fight. In your case it seems to be for home defense so you must choose your weapon accordingly.

That said, I believe the optimum for home defense would be (if allowed - of course it is not) to use a compact pump action shotgun with short barrel. Does not kill the intruder but has the needed impact to stop the adversary. May be placed right beneath your bed.

A cross bow and a speargun has but one shot. Missing is probable. A knife is a shortest range weapon. I would suspect that a burglar here in Thailand would carry a handgun for they are very easily attainable. Experience to handle weapons properly is needed as well. Few people have that and it does take more than just a short training course. But maybe you have been playing baseball so a bat would really be legal and appropriate although you would loose against a handheld gun as well.

Your advantage is that you know the environment very well and the intruder does not. You could for example sleep upstairs and prepare the stairs with a very thin string attached to a bell - removed in seconds during the day.

I hope you never need it. Good luck.

I wish something simple like bear spray or a taser were legal here, much easier

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dj230 said:

Agree. A taser would do it. I do not know what a bear spray is but if it is what I assume then the thing must be enormous. I just imagine running a bear towards you in the wild. I have heard that a bear is fast. So your bear spray need better be ready quickly and have a powerful spray jet. I guess you are either of Canadian or USA / Alaska provenience.

In Switzerland pepper spray at least is legal but you need to be registered even for this one. But I could imagine if it were legally available in Thailand it would maybe lead to a lot of "accidents". I remember sitting in a restaurant in Switzerland when one of the customers did use one inside the room. The restaurant had to be evacuated immediately even if not everyone were sitting near the event.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dj230 said:

You can buy tasers at any market here,keep it in the home,who is to know?

I have lived in the same place here for over 15 years and have never locked a door.

Keys are in the truck always ,the same goes for the bike.

The thing is when people break in they also need to leave again.

Our place is very hard to find even in the daytime.

We have a few dogs,they will let us know when there is something wrong.

No need for weapons here,

I would say the best protection would be a safe room,let them steal a bunch of used stuff

it can all be replaced.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jvs said:

You can buy tasers at any market here,keep it in the home,who is to know?

I have lived in the same place here for over 15 years and have never locked a door.

Keys are in the truck always ,the same goes for the bike.

The thing is when people break in they also need to leave again.

Our place is very hard to find even in the daytime.

We have a few dogs,they will let us know when there is something wrong.

No need for weapons here,

I would say the best protection would be a safe room,let them steal a bunch of used stuff

it can all be replaced.

Just seems to illegal for me, I got some hunting knives on lazada, should be good enough, the sharpest thing I had was plastic knives from bonchon, so I had to get something. But something like a taser gun or bear spray probably would be more effective, non lethal, and give good range, unfortunately they're illegal.

House unlocked all day light hours, unless going out.

no bars on the doors or windows, no alarm system.

( family are our neighbors )

no dogs.

no guns 

no knives.

no weapons at all.

But my beer fridge,  gets raided some times !!!!!!!!!! :mad:

no weapons in car or under bike seat.

Don't feel threatened in my village.

or when riding or driving. ( Nongkhai district  )

Same as above when lived in pattaya. minus the family.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

House unlocked all day light hours, unless going out.

no bars on the doors or windows, no alarm system.

( family are our neighbors )

no dogs.

no guns 

no knives.

no weapons at all.

But my beer fridge,  gets raided some times !!!!!!!!!! :mad:

no weapons in car or under bike seat.

Don't feel threatened in my village.

or when riding or driving. ( Nongkhai district  )

Same as above when lived in pattaya. minus the family.

Ditto, excluding beer....usually windows and doors left unlocked/open when I go out....benefits of no through road.

• Like 2