Thais set to pay record five baht a unit in new electricity charges from September

webfact

50 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Always these pretend types in the crowd.

He needs to look at Thai money more carefully, he must be old and his eyes only see a silver so he thinks it a Baht, when in fact its just a .10 satang.  He should read this and so should you

The 10 Thailand satang coin front design features the portrait of H.M. King Bhumibol Adulyadej The Great (1927 –2016), who was the ninth monarch of Thailand from the Chakri dynasty, titled Rama IX.

The reverse of the coin presents a view of the Wat Phra That Choeng Chum (a major and sacred religious monument), located in Sakon Nakhon, followed by the denomination and the issue date. This coin is part of the 2008 – 2017 (2551 – 2560) series, its rim is plain, and its color is silver.

Edited by ThailandRyan

People always use the word cheap in comparison to using electricity for one hour, using it only in one room, etc.

4 bedroom, 3 bathroom western house with aircon on 24/7, plus well pump and everthing else, our bill is around 6800 baht/month.

USA 240 square meter house, central air conditioning (feeds ALL rooms at the same time) running 24/7, 6120 baht/month. In the USA no need for air con Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb and never used the heat there ever.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, bkksteve123 said:

Not far off. I think around 4.5 THB per unit is the average for me. So can expect a 10-15% increase. Not the end of the world

Not the end of the world of course.

However, nothing is there to stop them increasing electric costs year after year.

10 to 15% per year over 10 years is something.

Ask the folks from the US if they offer thought gas would increase so much in < 1 year?

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Hmm ... so 4.99 ????

That would actually big a petty big leap ... 10 ish % from my last bill @ 3000 @ 4.45

and 3200 the month prior.

Come on Solar ... hopefully installed before the end of the month.  Next week would be nice.

Your cost per unit is going up by about 50 satang. You use about 675 units a month, so an increase of about Bht 340 per month. Savings over what time period?

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

Thai pensioners you mean.

Maybe UK pensioners, electricity bills have just about doubled in the UK, there are thousands of deaths from cold related illnesses every winter in the UK, now there will be many more with another increase coming up in October.

Unless you have wage earners sharing a house, stay away from the UK.

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

Don't sweat it. My cousin living back in Gloucester has just seen the monthly direct debit for her electricity and gas usage rise from £85/month to £265. And unless something miraculous happens before October, that £265 will probably rise to something like £350/month when the price cap is raised again. And she lives in one of those Barratt's matchbox houses, not a gigantic mansion, and doesn't even keep the place very warm in my opinion, I have to keep my fleece on in the house whenever I visit. So an increase from 4.5 Baht or whatever to a bit over 5 Baht is far from a disaster.

Yea well if there is not enough stink made about the increase then 6 and 7 is just a little more too..

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

A great many Thais (and likely many foreigners, some here on TVF) are already paying 6-9 Baht per KWH Unit as charged by their unscrupulous landords from who they rent rooms or apartments. Many people would love to get the 5 Baht government rate but cannot.

Well it looks like the landlords will have to raise their rates too....Say hello to 10-11-12 baht per unit..

32 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Your cost per unit is going up by about 50 satang. You use about 675 units a month, so an increase of about Bht 340 per month. Savings over what time period?

You mean ROI ?

If so, about 7 yrs, if a ฿4000 a month for PEA.

1 minute ago, Bandersnatch said:

Solar is the way to go. Powered by house and car 100% from solar last month.

CF8E90CB-EDC2-4363-915F-6ABF3FC83A4B.thumb.jpeg.4962627818da65fc9393897d1537acfc.jpeg

313F0356-DDDE-4669-9A14-69BC9C3DF229.jpeg.3bc9d6de61cc2ab4a5e21396c4eff6ac.jpeg

That's good.  However as you are aware those 12million + very poor households have no access to those sort of funds that would allow them to install solar.

Perhaps  the government should consider having a program of installing solar as a social benefit to those poorest families that would also lower the governments import energy costs longer term,  Well I know this government only work to benefit theirselves and those of the elite, but  perhaps one day Thailand just may get a socially responsible government who plan long term for the nations sustainable development.

• Like 2

Just now, Excel said:

That's good.  However as you are aware those 12million + very poor households have no access to those sort of funds that would allow them to install solar.

Perhaps  the government should consider having a program of installing solar as a social benefit to those poorest families that would also lower the governments import energy costs longer term,  Well I know this government only work to benefit theirselves and those of the elite, but  perhaps one day Thailand just may get a socially responsible government who plan long term for the nations sustainable development.

A few more prominent government/other  people need to get control of the solar power market before that might happen! Similar to the vaccine supply delay!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jaideedave said:

a carbon tax 

Am I the only one that sees this as the ultimate tax conjob?

We are paying to breathe air.

It's not fair, those with big noses take more than me with my little nose ???? ?

Will the next step be a nose meter?

Or Golly gosh gee whiz maybe if the logging of the Amazon basin was stopped and the rainforests around the equator were no longer cleared for palm oil plantations etc etc...you know the rave and my names not Greta... we wouldn't be repairing what corporations have fornicated making money for shareholders.

Godamn it...I'm going to have to go to meetings now.

Hullo, my name is Wombat and I am a closet Greenie.

14 minutes ago, Excel said:

I think you might not be aware that solar is more common in Thailand than you think. Where I live solar pumps are an increasingly common sight on farms. I belong to a very active Thai solar group where second hand solar panels are sold for a few hundred Baht. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, connda said:

Hows that explain that we get our electricity from coal fired plants in Lampang.  They have sunk costs in equipment, operations, and local strip-mined coal.

What is really happening is that the corporate elites have found another way to invoke predatory wealth transfers by imposing austerity on commoners and absorbing the new excess revenue and profits.

You can live right next to a power plant, however that has absolutely no bearing on where you get your power from. The generated power goes into the national grid and all generation is used to calculate the price to the consumer. 

4 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

I think you might not be aware that solar is more common in Thailand than you think. Where I live solar pumps are an increasingly common sight on farms. I belong to a very active Thai solar group where second hand solar panels are sold for a few hundred Baht. 

A few round here have solar pumps for water too and I am very aware after living here 38 years. Have you ? Seeing a few does not create the illusion it is wide spread and certainly for the very poor even a few thousand baht is beyond their reach, but perhaps to you a family living on a  monthly income of less than 1000 -1500 baht, if they are lucky, is something you have never experienced ?

Edited by Excel
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

A great many Thais (and likely many foreigners, some here on TVF) are already paying 6-9 Baht per KWH Unit as charged by their unscrupulous landords from who they rent rooms or apartments. Many people would love to get the 5 Baht government rate but cannot.

Those people chose to live where they do and agreed to pay those charges, They can easily get the official rate (as a great many of us do) by moving.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

19 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Old money

They are currently still in circulation.

Yes, I know that it is "old money", I also know that, although they may still be in circulation officially, there is nowhere (except banks) that will accept them for a transaction and no one ever uses them for their originally intended purpose. 

I've been here since '94 and have never seen one in a retail transaction, when was the last time you received one in change?!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

51 minutes ago, Excel said:

A few round here have solar pumps for water too and I am very aware after living here 38 years. Have you ? Seeing a few does not create the illusion it is wide spread and certainly for the very poor even a few thousand baht is beyond their reach, but perhaps to you a family living on a  monthly income of less than 1000 -1500 baht, if they are lucky, is something you have never experienced ?

Didn’t understand most of what you said, maybe another edit might help. 

There is an inspirational solar movement in Thailand using cheap second hand solar equipment which you are clearly unaware of. There is an online community sharing ideas and solutions on how solar can improve lives. 

I have done what I can to help raise awareness about solar in Thailand.

2BF3A9DF-69FC-443A-9531-0763940A4C8F.thumb.jpeg.95741a0cdf8b6792a93280f6369ccbd9.jpeg

87BD1501-4912-48E0-AABB-2B28753A2BE5.thumb.png.46499bc6d1d902b1974e8b6afd8ce9b1.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What was the total cost of your solar install?

My system is designed to be off-grid and power an EV but people who want to make saving money as the priority would be better off with a smaller system. Solar PV is about ฿10/Watt. A 5kW system would cost ฿50,000 for Panels and ฿35,000 for the inverter. This would cover the majority of day time electricity use.