Thailand marks 25 years since Jomtien hotel fire that killed 81 - exits locked, stairwells blocked, sprinklers not working

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: 25 years since the tragedy

Daily News reported that the Facebook page of Boran Naan Maa marked the 25th anniversary of the fire at Royal Jomtien Resort in Pattaya that killed 81 guests and injured 74. 

Information elsewhere varied. 

There were 800 people staying at the luxury hotel, many for a seminar but many died because of locked fire exits. Many jumped to their deaths. Sprinkler systems didn't work.

Fire hoses could only reach to the 10th floor yet the fire spread to the 16th floor of the 17 story four star hotel.

Everything appeared normal on July 11th 1997 as staff in the ground floor kitchens put away the breakfast service. 

But a gas appliance was not closed properly and there was a leak. When the smell of the gas was noticed the problem was compounded by the valve being opened rather than shut creating a worse leak.

The gas ignited from stoves being used to cook.

The fire quickly spread to the 2nd and 3rd floors including the seminar room. Within two hours it was raging on the 16th floor.

293210516_3157669161153889_6723490396623965877_n.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The alarm system and pump that worked the sprinklers were not working. There was widespread panic.

People trying to escape down the stairwells found exits locked and blocked with things like chairs and other items. The hotel was using the stairs to store stuff. Most of the people died in this way.

Others were seen desperately waving for help from windows as smoke filled their rooms. Some unable to breathe jumped to their deaths. 

293192450_3157669481153857_8847170391306798449_n.png

Fire trucks attending the fire could only use hoses up to the 10th floor, reported the Facebook site.

ASEAN NOW notes that details on the Wikipedia page vary suggesting that 91 people died from burns, asphyxiation and thermal trauma. It says 63 were injured. 

Six Hungarians, three South Koreans and one Belgian were among the dead including dozens of hotel employees, conference attendees and tourists. 

"The practice of locking emergency exit doors to prevent guests from leaving without paying their bills greatly increased the number of casualties" says Wiki. 

293090219_3157671344487004_7694071970153875690_n.jpg

The managing director and president of the majority shareholder in the hotel were later charged.

The hotel since changed its name to Jomtien Palm Beach Hotel, added Wiki. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-07-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

293222929_3157669234487215_6440452498125973233_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

July 17, 1997

Thailand hotel executives charged in fire

"BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) _ Two hotel executives have been charged in the deaths of 90 people _ many of them trapped behind locked emergency exits _ in Thailand’s worst hotel fire.

Both men neglected fire safety measures at the Royal Jomtien Resort in the beach city of Pattaya, where the fire broke out Friday, police said.

Thavorn Ujjin, managing director of Kiatpol Co. Ltd., which owns the hotel, and company chairman Indra Thamrongwitwatpong, both have been charged with involuntarily causing death and injury, said Maj. Gen. Kongdej Choosri, police commander in the home province of the 8-year-old luxury hotel."

(more)

https://apnews.com/article/488de1069ce8ae0d28688fc292b76c03

And then...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

I was in pattaya the week of the fire staying in a hotel near soi vc .

I asked the lady on reception why the firedoors were padlocked ,and what would she 

do if there was a fire,no problem she replied grinning 

and held up the keys???

Amazing thailand!

After that i only stayed on the ground floor of hotels????

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I watched the fire from its begining from my condo of the time at the south end of the beach road. The choppers arrived pretty quick and did a great job plucking people off the roof and dropping them on the beach.,I think 3 choppers from memory.

• Like 1

I started to come to Thailand around that time....was in Pattaya when this event happened.

Devastating to say the least...we checked our hotels for exits and they were ok....but to have been trapped by there ass***les that locked the fore exits, was so criminal. and I don't know if there were prosecutions.

• Like 2

About 4 years ago we were staying at a hotel in Nonthaburi.  My wife is somewhat claustrophobic and doesn't really like going in elevators.  We were on the 6th floor or so and decided to go down the stairwell.  When we turned to go to the ground level floor there were boxes and other junk completely blocking the door.  So we had to exit on the second floor and take the elevator down.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sadly most fires now are the result of the awful installation of electrical cables, often twisted together with tape.

I always try to stay on a low floor in a Thai hotel but of course that's no guarantee of getting out but perhaps reduces the odds of being trapped.

I stayed at the Palm Beach Hotel a few years ago, but this is the first time I’ve found out about its history. Great swimming pool, would stay there again if I didn’t own a condo in Jomtien.

I always ask for a hotel room on the highest floor available  as I love a view, the more fearful people wanting low floor rooms the better for me!

The Pratunam gas explosion in Bangkok was another preventable accident. A speeding fuel truck lost control spilling fuel which caught fire and exploded. There were many deaths and injuries as people were stuck in traffic.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

but many died because of locked fire exits. Many jumped to their deaths. Sprinkler systems didn't work.

Fire hoses could only reach to the 10th floor yet the fire spread to the 16th floor of the 17 story four star hotel.

Sounds like Thailand.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The alarm system and pump that worked the sprinklers were not working. There was widespread panic.

People trying to escape down the stairwells found exits locked and blocked with things like chairs and other items. The hotel was using the stairs to store stuff. Most of the people died in this way.

Likewise... very Thai.