No Thai Customs charges ever if package is valued at less than 1500 THB.?

JimmyJ

I've seen this referred to several times.

Is this an official Thai directive, or general observation/estimate/(selective memory perhaps)?

Urban legend?

If it is an official figure, if they look at a receipt inside the package,  that could include tax and shipping, perhaps service/handling charge.

Is the 1500 THB figure supposed to be the total for the item alone?

Edited by JimmyJ

I can't generalise but I ordered quite a few times items from AliExpress way exceeding the 1500 baht limit, all came through without any customs holds. Amazon already calculates the duty and taxes in the purchase price.

• Like 2

What you have stated is the guideline. However the bottom line is whether customs believe the shipper is telling the truth 

Did they quote the correct value, or undervalue it to get it through customs?

Did they use the correct description and harmonisation tariff.?

• Like 2

I think it depends on the customs officer or something, in my experiences 100 USD seemed to be when I had to pay more "duty" most times. Some things I order get dropped off by the mail man and sometimes he brings a paper and I have to go to the post office and pay more. I asked at the post office and they said loosely translated that it depends on the mood of customs in Bangkok. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

I get stuff from OS from Lazada and Ali all the time. I would say all of it under 1500 baht. Maybe 50-100 transactions. Never paid customs. I did get hit 3 times on some second hand guitars I bought from Japan, twice pretty badly where a good deal turned into a bad deal. And it appeared to me tax estimate was based on how they felt that day. They as someone stated base duty on what they believe the item would be worth in Thailand, not the receipt price (as if they would know). So on something that has lower / higher graded products, with a similar name....you could order something like a Fender or Squire Stratocaster (cheap Asian or Mex made one) and they do a quick google search on the first thing that comes up and estimate price on a US one. Didn't seem to be a lot of recourse for arguing about it either. Also got hit for a box of secondhand baby clothes my mother sent from Australia. Far more that the total of the goods were worth. Then another mixer I bought from Ebay through DHL customs prepaid. Thing got here, sent me a bill for duty,,,,,I said nahhhh customs pre paid through ebay. "huh, what Ebay". In the end I did a claim through Ebay itself and somehow they messed it up and I ended up getting a refund for nearly the total cost of the goods and the duty I paid. In other words its a cr@p shoot on something secondhand

All items sold on Lazada Thailand are inclusive of import duties. That's why you've never been charged those fees.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am pretty sure the following is true:

Everything below 1500, or was it 1800, is free.

But that includes shipping cost.

And, as far as I remember, it is based on prices in Thailand.

So if you buy something for 1000B in the USA and send it to Thailand and customs wants money, maybe they find out it is sold in Thailand for 2000B. Then that is the price they can use for their calculation

And shipping is another crazy thing. Some times ago I ordered a few electronic parts, I think from Mouser. Mousers shipping was free because (as far as I remember) they had a promotion that shipping over 50 USD was free. When my package arrived Thai customs assumed a very high shipping rate and charged accordingly.

I think at the end I paid about 50% of the actual value of the goods for tax and duties because the tax and duties was considered on the total of parts plus assumed expensive shipping.

I still had to pay less than 1000B and I didn't want to try to spend a lot of time to get out of that. But it was really annoying.

At that time I wrote about this in this forum. But I don't remember the title. 

Actually, import duties are based on the cost / value of the item in its country of purchase plus shipping. Items valued at less the 1,500 Baht are deemed exempt from TH import duty.

There wouldn't be any employee ever wanting to waste time trying to figure out what something costs in Thailand. They might do a Google search to see what the item generally sells for in say the US but even that is highly doubtful.

DHL, UPS, etc. do not recognize the 1,500 exemption. They are all misrepresenting the correct import duties for exempt items based on cost. Avoid whenever possible.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CharlieH said:

The technical term is "luck of the draw".

In very general terms as with all things in this country, it can depend on what happens on the day.

Yes 1500 includes insurance and shipping costs.

Doesnt matter what the paperwork on the parcel says, its how they value it a the paperwork is invariably wrong to avoid such charges.

You can dispyte and prove otherwise AFTER.

So basically they make it up depending upon how they feel at the time. Would that be a reasonable assessment?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Headgame said:

All items sold on Lazada Thailand are inclusive of import duties. That's why you've never been charged those fees.

I did see someone state that too, and Ali Express also but wasn't sure if it were true or not

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

So basically they make it up depending upon how they feel at the time. Would that be a reasonable assessment?

That has been my experience on second hand goods anyway, particularly what they would deem hobby / luxury items

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Headgame said:

Actually, import duties are based on the cost / value of the item in its country of purchase plus shipping. Items valued at less the 1,500 Baht are deemed exempt from TH import duty.

There wouldn't be any employee ever wanting to waste time trying to figure out what something costs in Thailand. They might do a Google search to see what the item generally sells for in say the US but even that is highly doubtful.

DHL, UPS, etc. do not recognize the 1,500 exemption. They are all misrepresenting the correct import duties for exempt items based on cost. Avoid whenever possible.

I have found DHL the pits also. I read somewhere it was actually some sort of scam they were running. No negotiating or discussing anything with them either. Going through DHL gives you the feeling of security with a big well known international company but at the end of the day you are still dealing with a Thai and all that goes with it

• Like 1

Just now, Kenny202 said:

That has been my experience on second hand goods anyway, particularly what they would deem hobby / luxury items

When I had shipped back some old clothing, obviously it was old and total value maybe Baht 100 they want me to pay Baht import duty. I said no and told them to burn the items. They was only good for wearing in the garden.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Now that makes (Thai) sense. No duty on Chinese cars into one of the largest Asian car manufacturing countries with a huge domestic car market 

There's some good reasons for it, and there is one company (the actual owners of Thailand, Inc?  ???? ) :  CP!

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/CP-Group-rides-China-Dream-with-cars-telecom-development

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gearbox said:

I can't generalise but I ordered quite a few times items from AliExpress way exceeding the 1500 baht limit, all came through without any customs holds. Amazon already calculates the duty and taxes in the purchase price.

true but if you have friend ,family,etc. send it then yes item, shipping, and tax total $1500 which is bull because the import and vat tax along is half of the $1500 sometimes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, CharlieH said:

In very general terms as with all things in this country, it can depend on what happens on the day.

Doesnt matter what the paperwork on the parcel says, its how they value it a the paperwork is invariably wrong to avoid such charges.

yes what they decide which is bull what do they know?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, n8sail said:

For those of you ordering from Lazada Shoppee Ali Express, remember that most of this junk comes from China, and many things from China are permitted to come into Thailand duty-free due to the trade agreement between the countries.   I have a 980,000 baht Chinese car, it had no duty on it when imported.

If shipping from other countries outside ASEAN/China, you will likely have to pay duty.

except aliexpress most stuff i order they list as from overseas.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, gearbox said:

It's usually items sent from friends or relatives overseas that occasionally get inspected and held for import taxes and duties.

I find DSL almost always gets flagged, try to avoid them.

Like gearbox mentioned Amazon includes duty and fees.

Once they held an Amazon delivery of electric tooth brushes saying they were medical equipment.  I spent a week and 3000 baht getting a dentist recommendation for the toothbrushes.  

Sometimes it's just immigration trying to weasle some money out of the system.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

It's usually items sent from friends or relatives overseas that occasionally get inspected and held for import taxes and duties.

I find DSL almost always gets flagged, try to avoid them.

Like gearbox mentioned Amazon includes duty and fees.

Once they held an Amazon delivery of electric tooth brushes saying they were medical equipment.  I spent a week and 3000 baht getting a dentist recommendation for the toothbrushes.  

Sometimes it's just immigration trying to weasle some money out of the system.

If travelling in and out best is to bring stuff with you as check-in baggage, I brought a few months ago things which were probably 250k+ in value, went triumphant via the green corridor. Just make them look used and never keep the original packaging.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rwill said:

I read on a shipping site that customs exemption was for items less than 1,500 baht and less than a kilo in wieght.  Unless they contain prohibited or restricted items.  I try to keep packages small and light and never have a problem receiving them.  

The exception to the exemption is when your package arrives with UPS or DHL.  They like to create problems that don't exsist.  In my experience UPS is the worst offender.  But I read others here saying DHL is bad.  I have had many packages arrive with DHL no problem at all.  A couple of things DHL sent me an email and said they needed a copy of an ID, a description in Thai of the item, and a purchase receipt copy.  But I received them no problem after that.  UPS has on a few occasions demanded that I either mail them my passport or bring it to the customs office at the airport to get my package delivered.  Once was for a box of candy canes.

Ditto experience with couriers. Item trebles in price once Customs and Courier start gouging! Best to use Shopee POD et al

11 hours ago, CharlieH said:

This.

I once had some Swedish snus sent over. They didn't know what the hell it was, but they did know they wanted tax from it, to more than the value of the snus, packaging and shipping. I told them to stick it.

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

I brought a few months ago things which were probably 250k+ in value, went triumphant via the green corridor. Just make them look used and never keep the original packaging.

Having brought in well over 1 million baht in value of new goods over the years. I have never bothered to either discard original packaging nor make things look used. I have had my suitcases checked a couple of times and never been charged on any accompanied goods, the IOs were just interested in what the tools were used for.

However I have also never brought in designer label fashion bags, accessories or large quantities of alcohol or tobacco except for 1 occasion when I had 10 litres of cheap Japanese whisky 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gearbox said:

If travelling in and out best is to bring stuff with you as check-in baggage, I brought a few months ago things which were probably 250k+ in value, went triumphant via the green corridor. Just make them look used and never keep the original packaging.

"...went triumphant via the green corridor."

What is "the green corridor"?