‘Tourism fee’, now for all travellers to Thailand, ready to launch

webfact

6 minutes ago, proton said:

So how does it work, let me guess you pay up first for treatment then have to claim it back? Good luck with that having left the country. knowing how refunds work here the pot will soon have been emptied and you will get nothing but excuses, if that.

I can see it now a special location on the 4th floor of Suvarnabhumi next to the VAT collection refund station.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

That is food for thought.  When you buy a ticket does it ask for nationality? If it does why not put Thai in the drop down box.....is that how they will be charging the extra 300 Thb, or will every traveler pay it regardless.....

Not entirely off-topic, but in Vietnam, I bought airline tickets for the family in-country travel, I was the only one charged the 'Tourist Tax'..........so the Airline ticket vendors can add or deduct the tax there, why not everywhere....................Peace

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 years ago it was 500 Baht entry fee which in later years became 700 or 800 Baht. This now 300 Baht fee will be on top of that for absolutely nothing. I have a 128 page document detailing what insurance services I receive worldwide. This is a money grab just like the others. People should think of this 1,000/1100 Baht fee for no reason before deciding to come to Thailand only to be ripped off for more. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

So...this will be in affect for Ex-pats as well.  So I am now covered for any accident sickness up to 500,000 baht ....Yes ???....is that just for the year ?  But only for air arrivals -- ??

Not sickness I fear

49 minutes ago, pokerface1 said:

I’d like a copy of the insurance policy I’m covered under what’s covered and what’s mot. Do I have to pay anything upon making a 

3 minutes ago, Almer said:

Not sickness I fear

And only 30 days

I want to see how they will implement this.
Most airline booking system do no not ask nationalities nor passport information, thai airway included. So Thailand expect to have all airlines in the world to implement this on their website?
Good luck!!! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

Back in the US where I'm from, people are paying $4.59 for one Big Freak'n Burrito and $6.59 for an order of Mucho Nachos. Things cost so much there that 300 baht is going to seem like chump change.

You must come from one of those non California states…

Anytime I book an airline flight on line, one is required to supply passport information…

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

serving as insurance coverage of up to 500,000 baht per person in case of accidents.

Great, so as a long-term expat will I still be able to claim this coverage even if the accident is 6 or 10 months after I last flew and paid the 300 Baht Levy?

LOS

Land Of Siphoning the money of the falang.

100 baht fee if you go to another province.

1000 fee coming back from Laos

500 back from Burma

300 baht!!!!!!!  OMG, this is going to be 900 pages of complaining.     

Relax falangos ....... In America you pay $2000 for a room, $500 for gas and $1000 for food.  And that's called Monday.   

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

On the face of it, I see not much problem with this. They say accidents, but there are those who engage in risky or even dangerous pursuits (would that be covered?).

Also probably not necessarily illness or pre-condition related accidents. Or those who get drunk and then into violent trouble.

I said on this forum a long time ago that travelling abroad to any country should involve obligatory travel insurance. As far as Thailand is concerned, looks like they will take the money whether anybody likes it or not.

And what about those who can prove they have excellent Travel insurance already?

On balance, I think I can agree with it!

Edited by ChrisKC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grantbkk said:

20 years ago it was 500 Baht entry fee which in later years became 700 or 800 Baht. This now 300 Baht fee will be on top of that for absolutely nothing. I have a 128 page document detailing what insurance services I receive worldwide. This is a money grab just like the others. People should think of this 1,000/1100 Baht fee for no reason before deciding to come to Thailand only to be ripped off for more. 

The 700 baht became the "passenger service charge" and it is still 700 baht. The 300 baht will be a separate additional tourist tax.

London Heathrow charges £30.19 for "passenger service charge" and anywhere between £13 and £180 for "air passenger duty", £13 for short haul, £82 for economy long haul and above for premium long haul. Over and above the outrageous airport charges, Scotland and Wales are proposing to implement a tourist tax on foreign nationals collected by accommodation providers..

Of course the narrow minded will only see a money grab in Thailand, obviously would have been more acceptable to follow other countries, charge everyone and not say what the money would be used for.

• Like 2

The fee  is irrelevant given the cost of flights, hotels etc... BUT to me this rewards bad behavior (i.e. People who travel without Travel insurance) & punishes those who do buy it & don't need the cover that this fee provides. 

So will the cost of travel insurance polices to Thailand be reduced now & will the insurance companies be able to reclaim any money from this pot for any claims they have paid out on?

5 hours ago, Zaphod said:

Since all "foreigners" will be paying this 300 baht fee, will my thai citizen spouse's airfare be 300 baht less than mine??

Probably yes, because Thais are already insured under the Thai Universal Health Care Scheme. 

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

Back in the US where I'm from, people are paying $4.59 for one Big Freak'n Burrito and $6.59 for an order of Mucho Nachos. Things cost so much there that 300 baht is going to seem like chump change.

Good point, not just the US, but do US citizens and foreigners pay the same price for the food?

It's just about the money and a group of people who are going to pocket the money. I have my doubts that there are any free hospital services in the event of an accident. Even now, the hospitals check whether you have insurance or money before any medical services are even carried out.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The tourism fee was initially planned for collection from international arrivals, with the exception of diplomats and expatriates in Thailand.  However, Mr Mongkon said exemptions for certain groups cannot be implemented as airline ticketing systems have to embed the fee, and airfares only recognise passenger information listed in passports.

No problem, I will just stop tipping and giving other gratuities to get that money back in my pocket. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2long said:

Anyone remember the 700B cash fee to LEAVE Thailand?

Not unusual this in Asia, a similar price to get an Emigration Clearance Certificate in the Philippines if you have stayed in the country more than 6 months, actually sensible in a way to ensure you haven't been a naughty boy whilst in country.  Complicates the leaving process a little but price and time isn't really a major headache if you are organised and have the financial means to travel the different countries.

Also many countries have visa entry fees, surprised Thailand haven't done it sooner.

Edited by PomPolo
updated to address visa entry fees
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, 2long said:

Anyone remember the 700B cash fee to LEAVE Thailand?

I remember it being 500 Baht at one point.

I believe it's still there, now much more and also applied to the airfare as a 'fee'.

Now they have both an entrance fee and an exit fee.

The point is missed by many is that discriminating against a certain group of people for the same service is wrong.

What is also wrong is promising something for this discrimination with no intention of ever giving anything whatsoever. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Great, so as a long-term expat will I still be able to claim this coverage even if the accident is 6 or 10 months after I last flew and paid the 300 Baht Levy?

Have you read the article or any of the posts?

“The 300-baht fee will guarantee insurance coverage during foreigners’ stay in Thailand for up to 30 days,” said Mr Mongkon.

Edited by DezLez