The lack of skilled pilots is now causing chaos at our airports

webfact

12 hours ago, law ling said:

Quite a few issues raised in the OP ... but I'm not happy to read that pilots are being pressured to speed up their take off procedures - I'd say it's safer to let pilots take as much time as they want at such a critical time.

I for one don’t see a pilot taking 10 seconds longer to clear the runway after landing could cause serious delays, when airports are only operating at 50% at best. There should be plenty of time to space out landings that would also help the customs and baggage handling personnel. Have the worlds airport operators really forgot how to operate. Less flights means more time for them to get things running smoothly. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, law ling said:

Quite a few issues raised in the OP ... but I'm not happy to read that pilots are being pressured to speed up their take off procedures - I'd say it's safer to let pilots take as much time as they want at such a critical time.

Well unless the airport has parallel runways, 1 for take off and 1 for landing, the longer an aircraft is on the runway the bigger the problem. 

It is not simply a case of giving the pilot more time but the stack of aircraft waiting to land up to perhaps 50 miles or more miles out, and also slotting aircraft taking off in between landing aircraft. Any delay will eventually cause a go around for an aircraft in the landing stack which will affect the landing queue. This in turn will affect the aircraft gate and hold the outbound flights in a knock on effect.

This doesn't count the extra fuel costs etc to the airline directly but it does detract from the crew flight time.

On a small single runway airport with not many daily flights there is no problem.

15 hours ago, JCauto said:

No, not at all, although I may be better at maths and science than you since I'm an engineer. Or perhaps you're one too?

Doubt it, since you're rabbitting on about pandemic response without acknowledging the millions of people who were saved by it. In my experience, practically none of the Google PhDs in Epidemiology that suddenly appeared have much if any of a technical background. But boy, they sure do learn quick! Seems I made a big mistake by studying and working in technical fields for years when all I needed was a few Youtube videos and Bob's Your Uncle! 

engineer of what exactly ?

how about sharing your opinion on the the topic instead of the "I'm an engineer and you are all talking ##" stupid nonsense and quite frankly for a self claimed expert on everything - well you have to be since according to you we are all talking z3#................the engineer of ? ##, I will guess you from the USA who have to odd ## that thinks they know everything..........you don't

oh and I have 3rd level education but I don't need to brag about it, common sense overrides stupidity no matter how smart you think you are, right now pretty much everyone has an opinion about you, try joining and contributing to the conversation instead of telling everyone they are stupid because you are "an engineer" lol

like I said in a previous post on this thread - I expect to see more and more accidents involving aircraft over the next 24 months - we are already starting to see a trend, in my humble opinion I don't think air travel is as safe as it was 3 years ago.............I have already read today about 2x recent serious accidents, unfortunately we will not know why these happened any time soon 

people should do a search for.. Mentour Now! .. on YT - compelling channel and will keep you busy for days - the guy is brilliant, he goes into great detail about accidents involving aircraft - it is really good and scary

On 7/18/2022 at 9:33 AM, verticalift said:

With over 42yrs strapped into the cockpits of various types of aircraft around the world…… I’m Done’n Dusted with these clowns….!!!

July 2020 at 62yrs of age I was employed as a Senior Line Captain based in Abu Dhabi working 2 months “On”, followed by 1 month “Off”…… spending my “time-off” at home here in Phuket. The game plan was to continue working through to mandatory retirement age of 65yrs (June 2023) on my Senior Captains Salary. That didn’t happen. What did happen was Covid.

In July 2020 the company I was flying for in Abu Dhabi imposed mandatory forced retirement for all crews over the age 60yrs in an attempt to save $$$$ due Covid.

When crews were asked to sign a letter from HR and Flight Ops accepting and acknowledging their retirement, we were all immediately (During the same meeting) offered a new Employment Contract for the exact same job and duties, at 33% less salary as a “Contractor”. Contractors do not get benefits, or end of service pay. I said…….No.

Instead, I chose to return home to Phuket. After having been stuck in Abu Dhabi thru August and September, I received a call on 01 October 2020 from the Thai Embassy advising that I could go home.

Now fully retired from the cockpit, I also consider myself as having been very lucky in that I was able to avoid any and all of the so called “vaccines”. See attached.

All crews that remained were forced to get “Vax’d”, or they too would have also been “Retired” early.

With no more 04:15am wake-up calls…… I’m happily retired here in Phuket.

G’luck to all the other crews still out there flying….

This link is absurd antivax conspiratorial garbage, per the usual on this forum.

Thank god they removed a nut job like you who spread vile propaganda instead of focusing on PASSENGER SAFETY.  

On 7/18/2022 at 5:35 AM, law ling said:

You obviously do not understand ATC.

When the pilot enter the active runway, it is quite possible that a plane will be landing on the same runway after he/she has taken off, as many airports do not have different runways for take offs and landings.

If the pilot takes too long to take off the aircraft on final behind him will have to 'go around', causing further delay!

At very busy airports aircraft can take off and land every 30 seconds.

On 7/18/2022 at 8:03 AM, austhai said:

Sounds like an asian & middle eastern problem. The answer is to employ pilots from other countries (westernized) also, maybe they kept some training going. Just a thought as the prices are high everywhere & would cover the salaries.

What theres no airport chaos in Australia? Please.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/captains-call-airlines-say-they-can-t-get-enough-pilots-20180525-p4zhdz.html

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/flights/australian-airports-brace-for-chaos-as-winter-school-holidays-come-to-an-end/news-story/e18e6d61275eeef3c107216918f48521

Edited by starky
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 4:28 AM, swm59nj said:

So if there were no shut downs , required vaccines, and restrictions, some people are saying this  airline and other issues wouldn’t have happened.  
So just have the pandemic, ignore it, and do nothing about it.  Let life go on as normal.? 
The only thing that theory maybe would have accomplished is that many more people would have died. So maybe you would have been less inconvenienced. 

No, many more people wouldn’t have died as proven by many countries who did almost or absolutely nothing in comparison to countries who did lots of nonsensical stuff. So yeah, two years of intentional damage inflicted upon economies has been net result and likely purpose of this sh show.

• Like 1

As for the rubbish in this ariticle about runway occupancy and lack of experience..no comment.

The shortage is just a continuation of pre-covid reality, there are not enough new joiners. Now there is training and recruiting bubble as near everyone is hiring. Self funding training for a job that takes years to start making good money,  just too expensive. The days of filling cockpits with trained ex-military pilots are way way gone.  Airline transition training from one aircraft to another takes a couple months. Creates a musical chair situation. Right now we are short instructors. Pilots end up sitting at home waiting for training.

A pressing staffing issue is "under the wing" (airport operations. fueling, loaders, cleaners), hardest to recruit and retain. There are always young people keen for cabin jobs, takes 6 weeks maybe. CEO of Delta has admitted there is a training and experience bubble. Without experienced customer facing employees, no way to handle the crowds at airports. Managements tried to outsource and automate too much, then after covid-19 started lost too many.

Expect further chaos at airports and a lousy travel experience.

https://www.yahoo.com/video/delta-air-lines-ceo-just-110000277.html

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 3:07 AM, smedly said:

engineer of what exactly ?

how about sharing your opinion on the the topic instead of the "I'm an engineer and you are all talking ##" stupid nonsense and quite frankly for a self claimed expert on everything - well you have to be since according to you we are all talking z3#................the engineer of ? ##, I will guess you from the USA who have to odd ## that thinks they know everything..........you don't

oh and I have 3rd level education but I don't need to brag about it, common sense overrides stupidity no matter how smart you think you are, right now pretty much everyone has an opinion about you, try joining and contributing to the conversation instead of telling everyone they are stupid because you are "an engineer" lol

Civil engineering, seeing as you're so interested.

Despite your 3rd level education, you were unable to discern my point, that being the almost complete lack of technical expertise or experience amongst the vaccine and mask skeptics. That you are so interested in the minutiae of my degree yet unable to describe any technical aspects of your own (other than "3rd level") tells me I was correct.

"At Hanoi's Noi Bai airport, pilots must make sure they leave the runway within 60 seconds after landing and take-off within 30 seconds."

I would assume that immediately after take-off  the aircraft has left the runway  ......... 

• Haha 1