Is emergency covid treatment free for non Thai?

topswijaya

From last year

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/thai-government-says-covid-treatment-is-free-but-patients-report-hefty-bills

March this year

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/a-guide-to-the-ucep-plus-treatment-scheme-for-covid-19-patients/

From March 16, people who test positive for COVID-19 will no longer be able to claim free treatment under Thailand’s Universal Coverage for Emergency Patients (UCEP). However, those with serious COVID symptoms or significant underlying risks will still be able to turn to the new scheme, UCEP Plus, for free medical help.

UCEP Plus is for Thais only, not for foreigners.

Edited by Hummin
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, topswijaya said:

how much is it per day stay in government hospitals?

I can only go on my recent 6 nights and 7 day release being treated for burst ulcer and small intestine wall infection and to go by the 6 nights it work out 1,500 per night including medication.

The CCTV scan I had was in the region of 14,000.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I can only go on my recent 6 nights and 7 day release being treated for burst ulcer and small intestine wall infection and to go by the 6 nights it work out 1,500 per night including medication.

The CCTV scan I had was in the region of 14,000.

And compare that to a single night in a Bangkok Group hospital at a cost of ฿16,000, some tests, nothing special for severe gastro enteritis, but immediate treatment with no waiting.

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

And compare that to a single night in a Bangkok Group hospital at a cost of ฿16,000, some tests, nothing special for severe gastro enteritis, but immediate treatment with no waiting.

I'm not bothered sure what you mean. 

I didn't have to wait because I was an emergency.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, topswijaya said:

how much is it per day stay in government hospitals?

I can only tell you what it cost me when I had to pay for a friend of mine here in Pattaya.  When he got sick last August he told me he had phenomena and asked me to come help him.  When I got there he told me he had been sick for almost 2 weeks.  He wasn't eating, only drinking re-hydration drinks at that stage, and was very weak.  He was spending both days and nights in his recliner, only getting out to go the bathroom.

I tested him the second day and it wasn't phenomena, it was Covid-19.    That day he moved to a bed closer to the bathroom.

I called every hospital in Pattaya the second day and no beds were available.  The same on the third day.  Late the third day he collapsed on the way to the bathroom.  At 79 I was no longer strong enough to lift him and he was barely conscious and couldn't help.  I called the Police Emergency Services and when they arrived they kept my friend awake and got an ambulance that took my friend to the Pattaya City Hospital, a government hospital.  There was no charge for the Emergency Services but I tipped them well as thanks for what they did.

There were no Covid ward beds available so my friend wound up spending the night outside the emergency room.  I must say that he did get excellent emergency treatment even there.  The hospital did the best they could but he passed away that night.

I had to make a 100,000 Bt deposit in advance on my credit card to get treatment since he had Covid-19 and that was their standard Covid-19 ward charge for non-Thais.  The final bill included Emergency treatment and was 122,000 Bt.

• Sad 3

36 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I'm not bothered sure what you mean. 

I didn't have to wait because I was an emergency.

It is a comparison of the relative costs between private and public medical treatment.

Naturally emergencies get swift treatment in all hospitals.

One of the main difference between private and public hospitals is that for non emergency treatment private hospitals have much shorter waiting time and the staffing levels are much higher.

3 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It is a comparison of the relative costs between private and public medical treatment.

Naturally emergencies get swift treatment in all hospitals.

One of the main difference between private and public hospitals is that for non emergency treatment private hospitals have much shorter waiting time and the staffing levels are much higher.

I don't think comparable at all gastro enteritis you can get treated by a pharmacy.

What would  it cost for 6 nights in a private hospital. ?

What would it cost in a private hospital in your area for a CCTV and diagnosis. ?

That would be a comparison.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I don't think comparable at all gastro enteritis you can get treated by a pharmacy.

What would  it cost for 6 nights in a private hospital. ?

What would it cost in a private hospital in your area for a CCTV and diagnosis. ?

That would be a comparison.

You have no idea of the severity, so no it could not.

I don’t need to give a cost for six nights as I assume that simple math is not beyond you. So just multiply that cost by six .

I really don’t understand what relevance a security video system has to the situation 555555. You really should proof read!

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You have no idea of the severity, so no it could not.

I don’t need to give a cost for six nights as I assume that simple math is not beyond you. So just multiply that cost by six .

I really don’t understand what relevance a security video system has to the situation 555555. You really should proof read!

CT scan it was close. ????

3 hours ago, HarrySeaman said:

I had to make a 100,000 Bt deposit in advance on my credit card to get treatment since he had Covid-19 and that was their standard Covid-19 ward charge for non-Thais.  The final bill included Emergency treatment and was 122,000 Bt.

LOL. I think, I'd be screwed then. I only have a debit card, and don't usually keep much money in that account.

On 7/18/2022 at 3:10 PM, Excel said:

A foreigner in my next village was unwell, went to the local small government hospital and found to have covid. This was around 8-9 months ago. Anyway he was in hospital for 11 days and supplied with a load of medication after discharge and received two  home visits by health officials after,  He told me the total charge for the hospital stay and medication was 4200 baht. A 

far cry from what private hospitals charge, but then I have always found the government hospitals great. Two weeks ago went in and had a blood test, urine test and x-ray and together with some medication it cost 440 baht including doctors cost. Last time I went to a private hospital it cost me 700 baht for the doctor's fee and that was years ago, hate to think how much they charge now.

Sounds reasonable. I remember from a visit years ago, a few hundred baht, incl. doctor's fee and overpriced meds (like paracetamol), but still modestly priced. I would never set foot (for treatment) into one of the posh private hospitals.

5 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

LOL. I think, I'd be screwed then. I only have a debit card, and don't usually keep much money in that account.

Without the facts I would not know how a Pattaya gov hospital got to that sum. 

A Thai ( Thai passport holder) tourist visiting UK will pay nothing for their covid treatment there even if they have no permission ( illegal overstayers, illegal immigrants) and even if a child needs particularly expensive treatment for Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C). Just google " Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C)"

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/visiting-or-moving-to-england/visitors-who-do-not-need-to-pay-for-nhs-treatment/

9 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Sounds reasonable. I remember from a visit years ago, a few hundred baht, incl. doctor's fee and overpriced meds (like paracetamol), but still modestly priced. I would never set foot (for treatment) into one of the posh private hospitals.

I take your point about the private hospitals, certainly for routine issues which I suspect accounts for 80 -90 % of admissions.  I always thought that when visiting a private hospital years ago, certainly outpatient care, it was difficult to determine whether you were actually being seen by a doctor concerned about your health or simply a doctor on a commission based on sales targets.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 9:54 AM, Hummin said:

From last year

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/thai-government-says-covid-treatment-is-free-but-patients-report-hefty-bills

March this year

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/a-guide-to-the-ucep-plus-treatment-scheme-for-covid-19-patients/

From March 16, people who test positive for COVID-19 will no longer be able to claim free treatment under Thailand’s Universal Coverage for Emergency Patients (UCEP). However, those with serious COVID symptoms or significant underlying risks will still be able to turn to the new scheme, UCEP Plus, for free medical help.

UCEP Plus is for Thais only, not for foreigners.

25 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Sure? And your source is?

Here

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, topswijaya said:

A Thai ( Thai passport holder) tourist visiting UK will pay nothing for their covid treatment there even if they have no permission ( illegal overstayers, illegal immigrants) and even if a child needs particularly expensive treatment for Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C). Just google " Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C)"

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/visiting-or-moving-to-england/visitors-who-do-not-need-to-pay-for-nhs-treatment/

It is not specifically a Thai but any nationality. 

On 7/18/2022 at 10:01 AM, Kwasaki said:

I don't know why non Thai go to private hospital maybe they are insured or have the money to do so. 

I always go gov hospital because we are lucky to have a good one. 

Private hospitals in our area are more expensive and in my experience worse than our gov hospital. 

What is your area?

16 minutes ago, Captor said:

OK, thanks. Me too prefer gov. hospitals.

Yeah to be fair to some private hospitals some of the ones in Sukhothai and particularly one I had a bad experience with and being sent from that private hospital to our govt hospital finally decided where I would go in any possible future event.