You still think you can live on less than 50k a month month

I presume that most people have a wife/GF/partner that also has an income of 50k+

100k for a couple is okay if they're not out partying 5 nights a week. Restaurant a 2-3 times a week, property and vehicles that they own, it is okay. ????

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

You would be <deleted> most likely, if considering inflation over time (10-20 years from now). Try and divide your 100K by 2 again and then also consider both have to do their own renting, cooking, transport and more. Looks entirely different.

Yes, but i have factored that into my equation, im still 10ish years from retirement so still got time to add and  hopefully the state pension and small company pension will also have increased, 

2 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Plus you might then want some company / entertainment once in a while too.

One wife is enough thanks ????

8 hours ago, MrMuddle said:

Really? Bet I'm way happier, and live much longer than you.

You'll have to post your BP, pulse rate, FBS, BMI and eGFR before I'll start believing the last assertion.

3 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

You would be <deleted> most likely, if considering inflation over time (10-20 years from now). Try and divide your 100K by 2 again and then also consider both have to do their own renting, cooking, transport and more. Looks entirely different.

Plus you might then want some company / entertainment once in a while too.

Oddly enough when I came here 12 years back I was spending 60k/month (just me).

Now I'm spending nearer 40k/month (4 of us).

I don't think inflation in Thailand is that significant.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Not the ones I go to here in Pattaya- it's a foodies paradise Great chefs, restaurants and bars.

Theres some decent pub grub and a couple of nice restaurants.... calling it a foodies paradise might be over egging it a bit.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Theres some decent pub grub and a couple of nice restaurants.... calling it a foodies paradise might be over egging it a bit.

Perhaps you don't know the better restaurants that we know, that's all I can assume. I rarely eat 'pub grub' but I was actually  referring to high end cuisine as well as decent  steaks. But Pattaya is a foodies paradise for anyone who knows the city.

Edited by The Hammer2021

3 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Perhaps you don't know the better restaurants that we know, that's all I can assume. I rarely eat 'pub grub' but I was actually  referring to high end cuisine as well as decent  steaks. But Pattaya is a foodies paradise for anyone who knows the city.

Enlighten me please... I have not been down for a year or two but have done all the Cafe Blu, Cafe des Amis, Patricks, Indian by Nature...

Nice to know a few more to try on my next trip.

21 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Pub grub is about it, nothing fine dining or even close to it.  Roadside diner food at best.

And yet to be in one, that would be successful back in USA.  

Not familiar with Patts, but most others, 99% have failed miserably.  Only plus is, not expensive, though I've only returned to 2 venues for repeat visits.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not familiar with Patts, but most others, 99% have failed miserably.  Only plus is, not expensive, though I've only returned to 2 venues for repeat visits.

Nice review...         Disclaimer sums it up nicely! 

36 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Nice review...         Disclaimer sums it up nicely! 

Since haven't been there in 16+ yrs, it wouldn't be fair to rate Patts now.  Did give it a few chances, but never warmed up to the place, and actually regretted every visit.

Coming from Udon Thani, and a vibrant expat community there, as some describe it, not much farang, 2 actually, food venues interested me, and there had to be at least 50 over the years, that people raved about ... ????

Strangely, the Thais did better western food ... nuff said

image.png

Edited by KhunLA

26 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Since haven't been there in 16+ yrs, it wouldn't be fair to rate Patts now.  Did give it a few chances, but never warmed up to the place, and actually regretted every visit.

Coming from Udon Thani, and a vibrant expat community there, as some describe it, not much farang, 2 actually, food venues interested me, and there had to be at least 50 over the years, that people raved about ... ????

Strangely, the Thais did better western food ... nuff said

image.png

Udon has some nice new style Thai restaurants, nice decor, kinda hip places. 

3 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Udon has some nice new style Thai restaurants, nice decor, kinda hip places. 

Definitely one of, if not the best food towns (metro) outside of Krung Thep ...

... but not the farang managed vendors.  A few were decent, nice proprietors, and maybe more the reason I visited.

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

First question: It depends on what age you are asking. I was long off the tee in my youth, now I can't hit it over a jam tin. Age 79, about 200 yards at best.

Second question: I have not played Augusta. I have played Pine Valley, Oakmont, La Cantera, St. Andrew's Old Course, Banff and Kananaskis in Canada, Millbrook in New Zealand. A host of great courses all over Australia.

Third question: No. I was eligible to turn professional in Australia. I did not, because I knew I was not good enough to be a touring pro.

Fourth question: I had my first gainful employment as a caddie at age 13. It provides employment for a host of people, administrators, bar staff, ground staff and caddies. The grass and trees suck up the carbon dioxide mankind generates. You'd create a lot of unemployment if you closed all the golf courses in Thailand.

What do I get out of golf? Enjoyment. Watching a well-flighted iron settle to a few feet from the pin, striping a drive to optimum position, judging a chip to either hole out or be given by an opponent. Even scrambling a par from a poor tee shot.

My current focus is on breaking my age. I have done it once. My role model is Legh Winser, who regularly broke his age in his nineties.

I take it you have never been in "the zone", when the combination of adrenalin and awareness means you know you are going to win in match or stroke play, no matter what any other competitor does. It's better than sex.

Speaking of which, a question for you. I have already observed people with an animus towards golf are usually incapable of playing it. Could it be your self-declared celibacy has the same origins?

P.S. My standard tipple after a round is tea or coffee.

I find selecting your own cute, chirpy, Thai caddy the highlight of a round of golf in Thailand.

11 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I used to caddie when I was 14.

I went diving for balls in the water hazards at night.

I caddied at https://www.stdavidsgc.com/

We had joined the club for awhile.

Then we left.

That was the end of my ball diving days.

Golf is a pseudo sport which is also an alternative to a life well lived.

Every hour on the course, is an hour lost.

Feel free to entertain your own contrary opinion, of course.

"Ball Diving?" LOL!

10 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

My fondest recollection of golfing on the Main Line was during the autumn months when the Canadian geese would fly in and land on the greens, crapping all over. Beautiful fat birds, they would fly in to rest and drink, and then take off again, flying further south.

There were hundreds of them, just waddling about.

At my age of 17 or 18, I had often thought of bashing one of them with my putter.

What a meal just one of these birds would have made.

I doubt that there was any law against harvesting a goose on the golf course.

These days, in Thailand, how much would you need to pay at the supermarket for a large Canadian goose?

In Pennsylvania, during the autumn months on the golf course, it can get pretty lonely in the evenings.

The leaves have fallen, and the wind is chilly.

The sun is low.

And, the golf course can become an eerie place.

When one is playing a round by oneself,

Things get spooky.

Sort of like a wasteland.

Like the end of the world.

Loneliest feeling one can feel.

Just you, the tee, the water hazards, and a par-3.

Such beauty, as well.

One thing I enjoyed about golf, however, is that you can wash your balls for free after each hole.

Bashing a goose with your putter......

My god man, where did you get THAT cannabis?

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

For some, part of the fun is messing about with caddies in the rough, arranging dates etc

That is quite typical of how teenagers behave , 15,  16., 17 year olds .

They usually grow out of that by the time they grow up and get to the age when they go to bars and things 

1 hour ago, KIngsofisaan said:

I find selecting your own cute, chirpy, Thai caddy the highlight of a round of golf in Thailand.

Can't argue with that, although on a military course I seem to get mostly 50 - 60 year olds.

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That is quite typical of how teenagers behave , 15,  16., 17 year olds .

They usually grow out of that by the time they grow up and get to the age when they go to bars and things 

It seems you have never been to a military golf course in Thailand, where the generals hog all the 18 year olds