Soi Buakhao restaurant charging 55 thb for a coke, opinions.......

EVENKEEL

Pretty normal for a bar.  Same with a bottle of water.

Interesting I know a bar/restaurant owner off Soi Buakhao.  He told me they make more profit off a cup of coffee then a full breakfast.  So, the cheap charlies who just order a drink can actually be helping the bottom line.

1 hour ago, mnomad said:

70-80 baht for a can of coke in some pubs in Bangkok - and not hiso Thong Lor - normal places were you can get a pint of local lager for 120 or a little over.  55baht seems fine to me, perhaps they have a minimum profit margin of 40baht per drink of something like that, all very reasonable. You can't expect cost price drinks just because you eat - if that was the case ill be demanding my pint of Tiger for 50baht  

i paid 30 baht for coke with ice.....bar rompo market area today.......20th July

24 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

See I'm not complaining about the price, it just seems odd is all. This isn't a high end joint that caters to tourists. Could be they're tying to keep away the buy a coke and sit all day kinda guy. 

Making a profit is odd?

10 baht cost

Ice cost

Staff cost

Cleaning cost

Rent

Etc

They made 20 baht profit. All very odd.

1 hour ago, mnomad said:

normal places were you can get a pint of local lager for 120 or a little over.

Thanks for the reminder I have to stay out of Bangkok, where 120 baht or over is considered normal for a beer that cost 35 baht for the bar

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

. Could be they're tying to keep away the buy a coke and sit all day kinda guy. 

Are you referring to those four Indian guys who have spent the last fours years all sitting together in bars  and ordering one coke and four straws ?

Those four guys do get round a bit

34 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Could be they're tying to keep away the buy a coke and sit all day kinda guy

Correct.

They are strictly targeting the multi-millionaires who park their private jets at U-Tapao, and the only way to do this is keep those seats empty of notorious soft drinkers.

Then the millionaires can experience the erudite conversation and a view of one of the health miracles of the World: the walking dead of Bukhao.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Food was OK nothing special. As I'm paying I see I was charged 55 thb for a can of coke with ice. To me that's being greedy.

It's nearly always cheaper to drink beer.

I've also noticed the serving ladies avoid guys drinking soft drinks.

Edited by BritManToo

Just now, Sparktrader said:

35 baht beer

Staff

Rent

Cleaning

Etc

50 baht profit

Not getting rich

You are repeating yourself, maybe try a graph to impress more.

The same beer is sold for 60 baht and less in Pattaya bars, and they also have to pay overheads

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

See I'm not complaining about the price, it just seems odd is all. This isn't a high end joint that caters to tourists. Could be they're tying to keep away the buy a coke and sit all day kinda guy. 

It seems for some places they just look at prices but not the class of the establishment.

I remember in Bangkok in Soi 7 they had some street style eatery with real high prices for that kind of "restaurant". I remarked about that. And they said something like: Look at the Landmark (5 star hotel across the road). They are more expensive.

It seem they though if they offer in their street style eatery a little better prices than a 5 start hotel across the road that was good enough. Thai thinking? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

If you think 55 baht for a Coke is expensive, Prime Burger may be out of your budget.

Nothing to do with budget, I just find it odd is all from a business point of view.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Making a profit is odd?

10 baht cost

Ice cost

Staff cost

Cleaning cost

Rent

Etc

They made 20 baht profit. All very odd.

You're missing the point, the norm is 40 baht, so they are charging way more. Restaurants do overcharge for drinks to make up for food sometimes

33 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Well, beverages are where the money is for restaurants. You can't expect them to charge a price like at 7-Eleven. Also, the ice probably set you back 10 or 20 baht, so 35 baht for the can, and 20 for the ice, or so.

I'll disagree over where the profits mainly come from. If you serve pre-mix fountain drinks, now you can make a profit. Food is where the money is.

6 minutes ago, peterfranks said:

You are repeating yourself, maybe try a graph to impress more.

The same beer is sold for 60 baht and less in Pattaya bars, and they also have to pay overheads

Bangkok rents are higher. Also turnover matters. Some bars go for high turnover or break even on drinks and make money on food.

Different models.

Not trying to impress. Business is business. Some get the model right some dont.

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'll disagree over where the profits mainly come from. If you serve pre-mix fountain drinks, now you can make a profit. Food is where the money is.

Nope food is low margin unless high end. Ive run pubs. Drinks is better but it depends on the business.

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You're missing the point, the norm is 40 baht, so they are charging way more. Restaurants do overcharge for drinks to make up for food sometimes

Whats the point? Complaining about 15 baht extra?

Thats less than 50c us.

5 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Whats the point? Complaining about 15 baht extra?

Thats less than 50c us.

In a tourist restaurant on the tourist strip no less.

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

Are you familiar with Soi Buakhao and the eateries there?

SB is now becoming the tourist hub of Pattaya. This will be a continuing trend. You almost can't slip a razor blade between LK and WS prices.