Bangkok Bank Required for Retirement Extension

1 hour ago, Pib said:

The last time I got a 12 month bank statement around a year ago from my Bangkok Bank branch here in Bangkok it came with bank official signature block and signature.

Mine certainly do not have a signature on them.

This is the bottom of last page (5 pages total) of the statement I got in August of last year.

image.png.739bf7d316536bedbe1137b02b910280.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, arithai12 said:

You state that you need one week... amazing, but perhaps you want to share what city and branch?

I have since years a BKB 800k fixed deposit for retirement extensions, it takes no longer than 5 minutes to get the letter duly stamped, Immigration always happy with it. Chiang Mai.

I had the same problem where I live, then the Bank got my address wrong on the statement! Only been with them 20+ years! Was told it would be another week to correct the address. Absolutely hopeless, they need to get their Bank into the 21st century!
Yet they can give a 6 month statement straight away, but not for 12 months, no reason given as to why!

Edited by MrMuddle
additional comment added

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I don't think SCB is on WISE list of transfers above 50k baht. 

There is no need to make transfers of more than 50k - I use Bangkok Bank and all last year used 2 transfers each month of about 45k.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

There is no need to make transfers of more than 50k - I use Bangkok Bank and all last year used 2 transfers each month of about 45k.  

You are referring to income method.

Many that are obtaining a non O retirement in Thailand need to transfer 800k into Thai bank account.

Apart for immigration purposes it makes sense to have bank account that Wise can transfer a larger sum.

For 2 real estate purchases I had to use 2 transfers for each as maximum transfer is 2 million baht.

I would find a 50k limit pretty useless. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Many that are obtaining a non O retirement in Thailand need to transfer 800k into Thai bank account.

Which begs the question is it wise to use Wise?  For USA, and expect some others, it may be better to just make a Swift transfer.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Mine certainly do not have a signature on them.

This is the bottom of last page (5 pages total) of the statement I got in August of last year.

image.png.739bf7d316536bedbe1137b02b910280.png

I expect Bangkok Bank can produce multiple versions of a 12 month statement....each will look very similar (but not identical) and one carry a signature and one not.

It's that way with Bangkok Bank credit advices (a.k.a., advice of credit or credit note) forms.  One version is printed on a "half page" with bank officer signature in lower right hand corner and the other version is printed on a full A4 size sheet without signature. 

But the full A4 sized version includes a statement at the bottom that states "This is a computer generated advice...No authorized signature is required" probably because there is no block for a signature.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I think it must depend on the agent.  Several years ago I used an agent in Hua Hin and had to open a KTB account even though I had an existing account at BBL.

Hhhmmn..It might depend on the IO. They set the agenda and maybe its the nearest bank to the office!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What a terrible inconvenience when you only have twelve months to prepare for that, eh?

For the same document, I go to the bank once on the same day I apply for my retirement extension.  No issue whatsoever with the Immigration Office.

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:
5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I think it must depend on the agent.  Several years ago I used an agent in Hua Hin and had to open a KTB account even though I had an existing account at BBL.

Hhhmmn..It might depend on the IO. They set the agenda and maybe its the nearest bank to the office!

You could be right but I'm sticking with it being up to the agent.  Being located near to the IO doesn't fit as the bank was nowhere near it.  

7 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Shame IO will not accept up-to-date bank book, or monthly downloaded statements from online banking each showing the monthly Foreign Transfer. 

Say your Extension is due in December, you could get two six month statements from Bkk Bank, one in June and t'other in December IF you couldn't wait a week.

that is what I did last time

• Like 1

On 7/23/2022 at 11:52 PM, arithai12 said:

You state that you need one week... amazing, but perhaps you want to share what city and branch?

I have since years a BKB 800k fixed deposit for retirement extensions, it takes no longer than 5 minutes to get the letter duly stamped, Immigration always happy with it. Chiang Mai.

Yes,, sometimes Bangkok Bank will simply copy the page from the fixed deposit account passbook, stamp and sign that.  However, if it's a regular savings account the 12 month statement can only come from headquarters in Bangkok and that takes about a week.  There's a workaround that may work for some of using Bangkok Bank app to get a year statement but it will not be stamped nor signed and therefore may not be accepted  by some immigration officers.

In general Bangkok Bank is not ideal for getting a 12 month statement, something other banks seem to not have any problem with doing on the spot or worst case next day.

On 7/23/2022 at 9:08 PM, Kopitiam said:

I wouldn't put money in a Bangkok Bank account for retirement extension when it takes a week to get a 12-month statement from the bank.  Other banks can give you the 12-month bank account statement on the spot, for example, SCB, etc.

I have got a Bangkok Bank account and the 'same day statement' requirement is done while I wait. I hasten to add that mine is not a 12 month statement, it is a 'certificate' stating the current amount. The IMO requires up to date passbooks and copies thereof which the IMO check themselves. So this may be different to what you have to do.

On 7/23/2022 at 9:30 PM, DrJack54 said:

Think for new folk opening Bank account then one on Wise list is best option.

Don't think that it particularly matters TBH - provided, of course, that, after opening an account with a bank not on the Wise 50k+ list, you allow sufficient time to build the balance up to the required 800k minimum before the 2-month seasoning period for your next retirement extension kicks in - just as I did in the case of my dedicated Krungsri account earlier this year.

3 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Don't think that it particularly matters TBH

For those that arrive visa exempt with plan to obtain non O they require 800k in the bank asap.

One transfer of 800k+ would be best.

In addition as I mentioned larger transfers are sometimes needed for things such as real estate purchases. 

To me a bank is a bank.

Best to have one without 50k limit for WISE.

If you don't use Wise then maybe not important.

Joeb

I was told by someone tonight that they were required to open a Bangkok Bank account and put their money there for a retirement extension. They said they heard someone else at the Jomtien Immigration Office being told the same thing. Has anyone heard of this?

Wise to ask for more information - unfortunately, as another poster mentioned, if you asked the "someone" they will refer to another "someone" but rare to get first hand report.  Jomtien Immigration will accept evidence of funds in a Thai bank from any bank, not just Bangkok Bank. 

Richard 2020

I take the option of 65,000.-THB income monthly!
This for 20 years now! I have NEVER needed a bank confirmation for my monthly income!
It is always enough to present the confirmation of the embassy / consul and the pension certificate in copy, at immigration!

The pension certificate only since 2 years!

Immigration Chonburi / Pattaya Jomtien.

This may be your personal experience, but for citizens of the USA, Australia, and UK, they can no longer get such Embassy letters.  Thus, using the monthly income method they must show Immigration evidence that they have transferred 65k baht into their Thai bank account each month.  What that evidence is, depends on the Immigration Office being used for the retirement extension.

KhunBENQ 

You are writing about a different matter. Letter confirming account owner, account type and current balance ("bank letter").

But the other poster has to do the monthly transfer > 65k from abroad and needs a statement of transactions for the whole year to proof his transfers  

Correct as I mention above.  I use the 65k per month transfer into my Bangkok Bank account for my extensions.  When the US Embassy quit issuing the Income Letter, for my next extension at Jomtien Immigration Office, I obtained 12 months of bank statements certified by the Bangkok Bank branch.  This was NOT ACCEPTABLE to the Immigration Officer - they wanted a letter from Bangkok Bank listing each transfer for the past 12 months - note this is in addition to the bank letter verifying the account and current balance which all applying for an extension must have.

Yes it does take 5 business days for Bangkok Bank branch to obtain 12 months of statements as apparently the Branch computer system can only provide statements for the past 6 months. Since I am aware of this, I go to the their location in Tesco Lotus South 3 weeks before my extension is due and request the statements then do some shopping.  A week later, I go back to the Tesco Lotus Bangkok Bank location to pick up the bank statements AND have them prepare the two bank letters - the one verifying the account and current balance & the one listing international deposits (those showing the FTT code on the bank statements) then either do some more shopping or grab a meal in the food court.  The following day, about 2 weeks before my renewal date I go to Jomtien Immigration and do my extension. So no problem for me in the one week wait.

For those renewing based on 800k in a Thai bank, Jomtien Immigration will require evidence that for the previous 12 months, that the 800k remained in the bank for at least 3 months after the previous renewal, the 800k has been on deposit for the 2 months prior to the current application for extension and for the interim never went below 400k.  It is my understanding that Jomtien Immigration will accept copies of the passbook showing all transactions for the past 12 months PROVIDED there are no "consolidated entries" - these occur when the passbook is not regularly updated and do not show the individual transactions.  If there are consolidated entries in the passbook, they will want to see the statements from the bank.

lopburi3

Which begs the question is it wise to use Wise?  For USA, and expect some others, it may be better to just make a Swift transfer.

There can be many reasons for not using SWIFT transfers from your USA bank - in my case, my bank charges US$40 for international wire transfers and some paperwork - they also offer in their online banking a "Global Transfer" for a fee US$5, but they do the conversion to baht at much less exchange rate than that of Wise.  I compared the two methods sometime back for transferring US$2,000 - the result was even with the fee of about US$16 charged by Wise, the amount Wise would deposit in my account was 1,600 baht more than if done by my bank.  What method to use depends on how easy it is to do the SWIFT transfer and the fees your bank will charge.

Since I have had a Bangkok Bank account for the past 20 years, I used to send my transfers via their New York Branch by domestic ACH transfer - I switched to Wise when the NY Branch had to cease accepting domestic ACH transfer and required they be International ACH transfers which are generally only available to commercial accounts thus not available to retail (personal) account holders.  Using Bangkok Bank also proved useful when as mentioned above, I could no longer get a US Embassy monthly income letter.  Wise uses their own existing account at Thai partner banks to actually provide funds into your account.  Even so, Bangkok Bank records them if they are the funding bank as International transfers using their FTT code.  Thus much easier to get the bank letter listing the foreign transfers.  Wise will send instructions to fund the transfer to Bangkok Bank provided you select the long stay in Thailand from their drop down menu on the purpose of the transfer.

Also, if no one is in a hurry to get the funds transferred, US bank account holders can still use another method for Bangkok Bank's NY Branch to send funds in Thai baht for the same fees they charge for International ACH transfers - the difference being the NY Branch does the conversion to Thai baht before transferring the fund - their exchange rate equates to the one used if the conversion was done by Bangkok Bank here in Thailand. It is their Baht Remittance Service.  I've used it once, but it took about 11 days to get the funds - You can complete and email the application, but to fund the transfer required using my US bank's online banking to send a paper check payable to the NY Branch by postal mail. When the NY Branch received the check they waited until it cleared before making the transfer to my Thailand Bangkok Bank account.  Also, they require you mail the original of the application and copy of passport to them.  They make the transfer based on the ones you email, but advise that if they don't subsequently receive the original by mail, they will make no future transfers until it is received.

Edited by soisanuk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2022 at 10:31 AM, thonglorjimmy said:

Mine, at least one in my local office, also asks for monthly credit advices for a twelve month period.

Cannot do monthly credit advices as I am on 800K in the bank and have been since 2005. I can only assume that the 12 month statement is because they fear the passbook may show consolidated transactions.

I wouldn't put money in a Bangkok Bank account for retirement extension when it takes a week to get a 12-month statement from the bank.  Other banks can give you the 12-month bank account statement on the spot, for example, SCB, etc.

My BB gives me the 12 mths statement on the spot but I do collect monthly credit advices and present them back when I need the statement

On 7/24/2022 at 9:22 AM, KhunBENQ said:

You were faster.

I got this information first hand from a visa agent in Pattaya.

It's about shady 800k extensions.

So the story from the OP might be related.

Otherwise you are free to choose the bank.

Nothing shady about Immigration Officers exercising their lawful discretion!

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is unknown at this time.

I will be trying to use one next month for my extension.

It's certainly intention to present a statement emailed to me by Bangkok Bank next year.

But I'll also purchase a statement from Bangkok, via my local branch, to present in the case that the IO I deal with on the day isn't prepared to embrace the Governments digitel iniative. 

19 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

Nothing shady about Immigration Officers exercising their lawful discretion!

Mystical 800k+ that you never had on your newly opened account and 

getting extension without  following seasoning rules is lawful.

OK I never stop learning.

Agent says: all I need is your passport and "the money".

The money being his 25k fee.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I use SCB and get an instant one year statement which will end on the last full day you ask for, [not the day you request it as that's not ended]

for that you need to update your pass book on  the date of your application..

On 7/23/2022 at 11:52 PM, arithai12 said:

same here in Pattaya . Foreign currency deposit account ( equivalent of 800,000 baht ) letter done in 5 minutes !  

1 hour ago, Jen65 said:

same here in Pattaya . Foreign currency deposit account ( equivalent of 800,000 baht ) letter done in 5 minutes !  

That is the letter of account ownership and current balance - but since requirement to maintain 400k all year and 800k for 3 months after and before extensions many immigration offices have required a one year statement to prove this.  That one year statement is also a standard requirement for those using income from countries that Embassy will not provide letter of income (a lot of us).  

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1