Body of tourist who fell from a raft into rapids in Chiang Mai found

webfact

image.jpeg

Rescue workers found the body of a Thai-Belgian tourist today (Sunday), who had fallen from a raft on the Taeng rapids in Mae Taeng district of the northern province of Chiang Mai on Friday.

According to Pruek Nitikorn, the assistant headman of Muang Kid village, the body was found about 10km from where he fell from the raft during a expedition with two Belgian friends.

He said that rescuers concentrated their search on boulders in the rapids after they found his safety helmet and life vest yesterday about 2km and 6km from the site of the accident.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/body-of-tourist-who-fell-from-a-raft-into-rapids-in-chiang-mai-found/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-07-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Thailand appears to be back to normal in killing its tourists

Tourist seem to be back to normal and not using any common sense.  Just looked at photos of the river/rapids/rocks in said river.   Only for the most experienced.

You can't fix stupid.

And how does a properly fitted & worn safety helmet and life vest, come off.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Thailand appears to be back to normal in killing its tourists

So, it´s Thailand killing tourists, that chose to go on a raft not knowing of the danger they put themselves in? How do you figure that?

AS usual lots of victim blaming in the comments.

The trip was sold and organised and executed by siam river adventures, a chiang mai company. they also had a tour guide with them. tourists are not supposed to be able to judge quickly changing weather conditions.
tour company should have said at pick-up at their hotel: "it's too dangerous, we cancel and refund you'. 

All other rafting tour operators in the area had ceased their activities because of the rainy season and the enormous volumes of water coming down the rivers. This particular operation chose to continue rafting tours down that dangerously swollen river. Very irresponsible and negligent. But TIT. 

6 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Tourist seem to be back to normal and not using any common sense.  Just looked at photos of the river/rapids/rocks in said river.   Only for the most experienced.

You can't fix stupid.

And how does a properly fitted & worn safety helmet and life vest, come off.

How would a tourist supposed to know that it was unsafe and dangerous ?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

How would a tourist supposed to know that it was unsafe and dangerous ?

As I stated, I looked at photos of the river and I certainly would NOT go down that, any time of the year.  And I've been white water rafting.  Maybe I should change my signature, Better research = Safer holiday

Don't sit in the back of the raft, as comfy as it looks back there, you get launched out on the slightest bounce ... ????

Edited by KhunLA