Recreational use of pot to be recriminalised as Minister warns abuses are undermining his plan

webfact

20 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

It is not a Thai reference but in Robinson Crusoe written in 1719 he describes how he was suffering from depression and he remembered he had sone tobbaco from the shipwreck. It was green and  fully cured and he smoked some of it and went through a revelation about his life on the island. My brother talks of in the early 70's being led off by 12 to 13 yo's to smoke bongs while waiting for the ferry to Koh Samui. They had not seen many farung before. Thai buddha sticks were the most common form in the West for a long time.

Ok so ignoring the fictional writings of Daniel Defoe with Robinson Crusoe the earliest documented accounts of cannabis in Thailand or ganga as known here was as a condiment in food and for medical use. it was only in the late 60’s when the US army was over here during the Vietnam war that recreational use became a thing and Thai’s started supplying this to the troops, there are no records of how widespread it was in Thai’s though.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You really don't get it, your life must revolve around daily use of the cannabis, multiple times daily.......hopefully it is for medical necessity and not to just get stoned to make life's problems seem to fade away.

There you go again with your incorrect assumptions, A common trait by you and others just like you

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, shdmn said:

This is the same retarded argument that was used in the west by the moral crusaders.  Recreational use has been legal in Canada for 4 years now.  Guess how many of the dooms day predictions came true?  

Recreational use is actually down among teenagers now.  Partly because it's not considered to be cool or a way to rebel against your parents anymore.

That does not seem to fit in with these statistics of 15+ year olds in Canada

image.png.beed0120111436f12cb4c091db1d753f.png

• Confused 1

On 8/1/2022 at 6:27 AM, Gecko123 said:

Last week I wrote: "I think people who are arguing "the cat's out of the bag" and that the open sale and usage of cannabis for recreational purposes is here to stay are kidding themselves. A major walk back is in the works." https://aseannow.com/topic/1267118-the-cannabis-debate-continues-but-can-thailand-control-it/?do=findComment&comment=175050682.

In hindsight it now appears that last week's Aseannow article with the headline "Anutin: No U-turn on marijuana" gave a misleading account of the government's actual position on recreational cannabis use.   https://aseannow.com/topic/1267138-anutin-no-u-turn-on-marijuana-minister-pressing-ahead-with-use-of-drug-in-two-trillion-baht-wellness-tourism/page/2/

Refraining from intoxicants which cloud the mind is one of the five Buddhist Precepts for leading a moral life. It is thus inconceivable that Thailand's Buddhist clergy isn't as equally opposed to the recreational use of cannabis as the leadership of the Islamic Committee. I suspect the only reason why Thailand's Buddhist senior leadership has not already voiced similar opposition is out of a reluctance to wade into political controversy. It only serves to foment religious bigotry to focus on the Islamic Committee's voiced opposition when everyone knows full well that recreational cannabis use is equally interdicted by Buddhist teachings.

so make it legal for Rasti

farians &c.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

Well what you, and people like you, would like to expect would be : That my life is an absolute disaster, that I am continually involved in motor accidents, That I have  personal hygiene issues  That  My IQ surely must have diminished to virtually zero.That I sit all day in a darkened room listening to Pink Floyd, That my children suffer with a list of ailments as long as your arm. That I can never hold down even a menial job, I have moved on to "harder drugs" due to the "well known" gateway effect,  That I must also surely suffer from countless respiratory not to mention psychological problems  as well.  That I have taken to begging to support my addiction and that I spend the majority of my time searching for my next fix in a cold sweat  lol. Sorry to disappoint you but   none of that is  true

What I  would expect is that people with little or no experience  ( sorry that one spliff that made you "dizzy" doesn't give you any authority on the subject)  would stop wasting their time  posting rubbish  backed by meaningless links many of which actually contradict your ridiculous fears 

Or I could just have meant the fact that you've been smoking weed for 40 years gives you a certain bias. ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CraigInBangkok said:

No more than before June 9.  How many potheads have caused accidents/incidents so far ? Dont you think the "news" has been dying for negatives since June 9 and all I have seen is the clueless, whining about nothing, as usual.

Are they testing for cannabis when driving after a crash or at any other time? I think not as there is no law for that currently so we just don't know either way.

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Or I could just have meant the fact that you've been smoking weed for 40 years gives you a certain bias. ????

Or it could have meant that you were in agreement with the  incorrect assumptions made regarding my personal life that were made in the post you quoted ie... 

"You really don't get it, your life must revolve around daily use of the cannabis, multiple times daily.......hopefully it is for medical necessity and not to just get stoned to make life's problems seem to fade away."

again sorry to disappoint you but none of the above is true

But course it is going to affect my stance I would be the first to admit it, and it hasn't taken 40 years for me to form my opinions. which, as I say, are based on first hand personal experience.   However I would suggest that any anti cannabis bias is primarily arrived at as a result of nearly 100 years of  propaganda designed to cause only  fear and panic,   or as in your case , after smoking one spliff and feeling  somewhat unwell ,  which also could be due to the negative preconceptions and  feelings you had formed based on the  above mentioned  propaganda 

From my personal experience cannabis use in no way "makes life's problems seem to fade away"  That, again from my personal experience would be one of the side affects more attributable to alcohol. and indeed a major reason for many peoples drinking,  although  the emphasis really does need to be on the word "seem" of course, as there are few if any problems that can be solved by ingestion of alcohol  Also just for the record,  I don't actually  have any problems

18 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Or it could have meant that you were in agreement with the  incorrect assumptions made regarding my personal life that were made in the post you quoted ie... 

"You really don't get it, your life must revolve around daily use of the cannabis, multiple times daily.......hopefully it is for medical necessity and not to just get stoned to make life's problems seem to fade away."

again sorry to disappoint you but none of the above is true

But course it is going to affect my stance I would be the first to admit it, and it hasn't taken 40 years for me to form my opinions. which, as I say, are based on first hand personal experience.   However I would suggest that any anti cannabis bias is primarily arrived at as a result of nearly 100 years of  propaganda designed to cause only  fear and panic,   or as in your case , after smoking one spliff and feeling  somewhat unwell ,  which also could be due to the negative preconceptions and  feelings you had formed based on the  above mentioned  propaganda 

From my personal experience cannabis use in no way "makes life's problems seem to fade away"  That, again from my personal experience would be one of the side affects more attributable to alcohol. and indeed a major reason for many peoples drinking,  although  the emphasis really does need to be on the word "seem" of course, as there are few if any problems that can be solved by ingestion of alcohol  Also just for the record,  I don't actually  have any problems

I already told you what I meant so I'll ignore your bait............

Edited by Bkk Brian

Unfortunaly big changes ahead in G@nja land. At the end of the road only a small group of people will be able to sell it for medical use. Or will there be some loopholes in the new law? It can go anyware but im afraid that the free selling will be over soon.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

Good.

Hopefully some doped up farang don't realize the change and end up getting locked up 20+.

jUsT a pLaNt bRoOo

That's the kind of post that gives the anti cannabis brigade a bad name   lol

5 minutes ago, peter zwart said:

Unfortunaly big changes ahead in G@nja land. At the end of the road only a small group of people will be able to sell it for medical use. Or will there be some loopholes in the new law? It can go anyware but im afraid that the free selling will be over soon.

Don't be so negative, you will make yourself depressed

20 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

What I expected was a concerted effort to stick to what they rolled out while adding some amendments and allowing the recreational use for those over 20 but not out in the open public, like on Khao San Road.  However, it is Thailand.

I didn't expect much more than a <deleted> and now it seems to be turning into a full blown FUBAR.

I gave up expecting anything good or useful from this lot years ago.

I am still not disappointed so far.

Edited by metisdead
Profane acronym removed.
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, mikebike said:

15+... means 15 to 150 not teenagers as the poster you were replying to was talking about. 

Yes and did the poster supply any links to his claim? No just speculation. 

A new study has found that Ontario saw nine times more emergency department visits per month for cannabis poisonings in young children after Canada legalized recreational cannabis.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/cannabis-poisoning-in-ont-kids-more-frequent-and-severe-since-legalization-study-1.5730591

Trends in youth cannabis use across cannabis legalization: Data from the COMPASS prospective cohort study

Examination of pre-post cannabis use trends in large cross-sectional and multi-cohort samples.

Youth cannabis use remains common with ever use increasing to 32.4% in 2018/19.

Cross-sectional odds of ever use were significantly higher post-legalization.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211335521000425

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

Thanks, always good to learn something from a link I never knew the word ‘bong’ originated from a Thai either.

However if you went to my original question to the poster, I had asked him what percentage of Thai people were doing that then as my feeling would be it would be extremely low. Especially in light of the present day Thai culture that states 83.5% say recreational use is wrong and 96.6% said they had no interest in recreational use.

going off those figures its a miracle anybody is actually smoking at all  so what's all the fuss about