Life without a credit card in Thailand

Yesterday I went to buy a sanwich and coffee at a Starbucks outlet in Rama 4 road in Bangkok and tried to pay cash and was told that they only accept either a credit card or an online transfer using QR code. No cash accepted even for a 20 baht water bottle if you were to buy one.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

Pagallim, I agree in general and although “credit” I have always paid in full on the due date. I do of course have a Bangkok bank app on my phone which gets used regularly but it’s more if I want to make an international online purchase where I forsee a problem like renewing my antivirus or vpn or an Amazon item. If I have to do without so be it but curious about ways around these problems. I used to have a Bangkok bank debit card but never used as always used my bank app so got my cash refunded, and my atm card doesn’t have visa or Mastercard on it so probably not useable n many situations. I don’t have nor want PayPal so will take any problem as it arises I suppose. Thanks anyway. 

Do you have a Thai Credit/debit/ ATM card?  Can be useful in LOS, but remember it is Debit card and might have a low spending limit, and not much use for on-line purchases.  Check with you issuing bank.

I have always kept a UK credit card (Mastercard) to use for emergencies and buying air tickets via Expedia, but be aware that Mastercard will not send you a new card to Thailand

Genmerally i do not find a Credit card very useful in LOS.  Most retailers do not want you to use it and my Kbank card does not give me a statement or any credit, so only a very limited debit/atm card

Hopefully sometime in the next 100 yrs Thailand will catch up with the west on this (Thailand 4.0?)

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Robin said:

Do you have a Thai Credit/debit/ ATM card?  Can be useful in LOS, but remember it is Debit card and might have a low spending limit, and not much use for on-line purchases.  Check with you issuing bank.

I have always kept a UK credit card (Mastercard) to use for emergencies and buying air tickets via Expedia, but be aware that Mastercard will not send you a new card to Thailand

Genmerally i do not find a Credit card very useful in LOS.  Most retailers do not want you to use it and my Kbank card does not give me a statement or any credit, so only a very limited debit/atm card

Hopefully sometime in the next 100 yrs Thailand will catch up with the west on this (Thailand 4.0?)

I have a credit card (a real credit card) as a partner card of my wife's card. It is useful because some online shops or hotels do not accept debit cards. What I do not like about it is that there is absolutely no benefit when travelling. With my old Mastercard back in Switzerland I had a substantial insurance in case of death and various other benefits. Just included. Besides I find that not all shops use two factor authentication or 3-D secure here. A nuisance since Paypal cannot be used anymore.

Lemstar. Why do you bother to reply when you only offer stupid comments, is your day that boring.

If you actually bother to read what I followed on with is when making international purchases when I doubt my bank app would be of any use. 

• Like 1

I have an SCB Prepaid Visa credit card which works very well and meets all my needs for international purchases and so on.

It also dodged the hassles of having to apply for a credit card locally, when I don't actually want any credit line, just secure access to my bank funds with card protection etc.

https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/cards/prepaid-cards.html

3 hours ago, pagallim said:

I think the key word here is 'credit'.   I use debit cards with both my Thai (Mastercard) and UK banks (Visa) with no difficulty, and of course, using bank apps and QR codes are becoming more and more common.   Really, credit cards are only of any use if want to defer or spread payment, or using it as a loan facility

Really, credit cards are only of any use if want to defer or spread payment, or using it as a loan facility

Credit cards offer credit protection. They are a valuable tool if you have enough financial discipline to pay them off every month

Plus if you can accumulate points, flight miles, gifts and other cool things

• Like 2

3 hours ago, saakura said:

Yesterday I went to buy a sanwich and coffee at a Starbucks outlet in Rama 4 road in Bangkok and tried to pay cash and was told that they only accept either a credit card or an online transfer using QR code. No cash accepted even for a 20 baht water bottle if you were to buy one.

Great reason not to go in that place.

I like it.

• Like 2

We kept all our US cards and we use them all the time for everything.

Keep zero balance at the end of the month on all cards

At the end of the year have enough points for 2 flights back to the US

US Thai bank for ATM, VISA Money, operating cash, although bulk of cash is in US banks

cc.jpg

Edited by KIngsofisaan

2 hours ago, moogradod said:

A nuisance since Paypal cannot be used anymore.

I continue to use my Thai PayPal account, while there have been a number of changes mine draws on my Thai debit card and though I don’t use it that often I’ve used it 3 times in the last 30 days so your statement is apocryphal, certainly for some accounts 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, saakura said:

Did they inform you of this before you ordered or after?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orinoco said:

Great reason not to go in that place.

I like it.

Many places are going cashless.  For all my card purchases here I use my Black card or my Amex Gold, no international fees and my banks understand I live here in Thailand. Black card is a Barclay's bank issued card. I am from the US.

Edited by ThailandRyan

2 hours ago, poppysdad said:

Lemstar. Why do you bother to reply when you only offer stupid comments, is your day that boring.

If you actually bother to read what I followed on with is when making international purchases when I doubt my bank app would be of any use. 

responding to the Luddite who thinks using a QR code to pay is the work of the Devil rather than a simple few clicks in an app. I speak sense brother, if you think my comments are stupid then there's something wrong with you mate.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, tgw said:

the best thing is to boycott places that don't accept cash, or to not pay and let them sue you, because legal tender is legal tender.

the forced use of electronic payments will curtail personal freedoms even more, don't let businesses and governments do that to you.

two or three old farang dudes ain't gonna hold back the tide. but if you want to fight a losing battle then have at it. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Denim said:

Apparently , cash is making a bit of a comeback with people feeling the financial pinch. People are turning to ' cash stuffing ' to cover their outgoings. This method involves withdrawing a large sum of cash and dividing it into separate envelopes to cover various bills etc. People say it is easier to keep track of and control their spending rather than going cashless and swiping everything.

As for credit cards , very useful. Can even be a life saver. Had to go into hospital a few years back and ran up a bill of over 120,000. Paid using credit card...no problem. When I was checking into hospital the waiting room was full of people waiting while stressed out staff tried to contact their insurance companies to confirm cover. I was straight in no waiting.

Very good point about your hospital bill, thanks.

• Like 1