Prominent Thai doctors against extended nightlife closing times, claim tourists don’t come to Thailand to party but for beaches and temples

webfact

2 hours ago, Thaijack2014 said:

How black & white this statement is... as many people come they do that for all sorts of reasons. When I was young and single I came for nightlife and women.... but after being married and having my kids, we came for the beaches and the temples. Nowadays I live in Thailand, married to a Thai wife and enjoy just being here. We visit temples, beaches and the nightlife? I couldn't care less.

That’s nice for you. 

1 hour ago, shackleton said:

Yes there are Tourists who do come to Thailand for the Temples

And beaches ⛱ 

Then there are others who come for the young girls in the bars and drinking alcohol and having a good time ????

I also agree 2am closing of the bars is a good thing as some people need their beauty ???? 

Exactly - some people come for temples and some come for fun.

After 4 weeks sorting out the house in Ubon I have booked a week in Patong. My wife can go look at temples while me and my 8 year old can have fun in Hooters but I doubt we will be out till 4am.

4 hours ago, mania said:

555 no actually most do come for bars & girls BUT...I agree opening till 4am is a recipe for even more road deaths

Folks can get plenty drunk enough by 12 or 1 am

That´s right. If closing 01.00 and not 04.00, all of them will have time to visit all the holy areas before morning.

• Haha 1

1. I do pity medical staff on late night duty having to patch up all the accidents and ODs (and of late, burns) that must flood in in the wee hours (when they're probably just lightly staffed).

2. If you've seen one local temple, you've pretty much seen them all - I don't find the buildings attractive, and as it's not my religion, there's no spiritual element.

3. I do like Issan music ... but it's not readily available here (in Pattaya) ... the bands here seem to prefer the likes of "Hotel California" or "Tie a Yellow Ribbon ..." (which is from another culture).

2 hours ago, blazes said:

When you've seen one wat, you've seen  'em all. 

I come for the weather and the smiles.

Getting rid of face masks would help. They really spoil interactions with Thais as smiles are important to tourists. 

• Like 2

30 years ago the clubs in Pattaya used to be open until 4:00/5:00am they were packed with tourists and locals, people came to enjoy as the did in Bali, admittedly in Bangkok keeping places open so late will have more potential dangers so 2:00/3:00 am would work. A lot of people in the tourism industry work late so having somewhere to let steam off is good, plenty of time to visit temples 

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Be honest, these days I visit a temple more than a bar, but then again I visit maybe 1 temple a year. Bars were great 20 years ago when I was single and before my wife, I feel going to a bar without being able to take a women home with you, is like going to see a movie without the film after the national anthem 

In fairness you don't really fit into the tourist bracket that these newly qualified "Doctors of tourism" refer

• Like 1

Why would a bunch of doctors venture an opinion as to what tourists likes to do in while in Thailand? how's that concern them anyway? stick to what you know best and that's being a doctor, ( not that i put a 100% faith in Thai doctors anyway)...

That must be the reason temples are packed to the gills with tourists taking pics of statues I guess. Take a look at the tourists in Majorca packing out the churches and cathedrals and emptying the bars. 

The UK has some brilliant churches and historic buildings that tourists visit in droves. Mind you, there are also loads of museums and art galleries to keep them amused. Now, if only Thailand had anything like that  art and culture that wasn't priced double for tourists maybe more would be interested. 

It's like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

• Thanks 1

I have lived in lower Sukumvit for 10 years before the pandemic.  Nobody seems to take into account   Shopping.  I remember crowds of families on Sukumvit , at MBK (is that open?) ,at Chatuchak buying up clothes etc.  knock offs sure         but it was a draw for tourists.

Well the first Quack is "secretary of the don't drive drunk campaign"   so he is just justifying his position and his no doubt generous fees, The second Quack is trying to continue scaring us whilst at the same time highlighting his continuing  "covid concerned" status  media profile in the mistaken belief that anybody cares anymore

• Like 1

I sure never stayed in a bar past 2 am.  But 8m an early bird and can't sleep in so even 2 am hurts me the next day.   It does seem that it would be safer for non party motorists if the bars kept the drunks till 4 am.  Unless they then go out to eat somewhere and drive at 6 am.   What time was it when the Red Bull miscreant killed that fine RTP? 

Once you get the nightlife out of your system, it's all beaches and temples from there on out.

Or so I've heard.

I really truly want to reach that transcendent state where I no longer have desire, but I think I first have to be 100% certain I do not want anything like carnal pleasures. I mean, the gods no doubt want me to be sincere, and how will I know I don't want it if I haven't tried it?

Well, right off the start I have to comment on where tourists go.  From my experience, you want to be around Westerners,  go to the bars and party roads.  You want to be around non Westerners,  go to wats and cultural venues.  Even at high tourist times, when my wife and I go to a wat, oft times I am the only Westerner there, even at some of the most famous ways.

That said, I am in 100% agreement with maintaining at a minimum the present rules governing the sale of alcohol.  They are already more lenient than in my home country, so why should Thailand want tourists to act differently here than they would at home? I find the concept that Thailand must sell its soul for the pleasure of tourist dollars (which really do not affect the majority) to be deeply disturbing.  And so do Thais.

Over the past few years, due to COVID, my friends and family have been enjoying the beaches and recreational attractions around Thailand.  For almost all of them, it is a first. This surprised me, but then they tell me that before there were too many tourists and they did not feel comfortable going with all the "farangs" there.  I know many really dislike places like Pataya and Phuket where it seems being Thai is being second class.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, shackleton said:

Yes there are Tourists who do come to Thailand for the Temples

And beaches ⛱ 

Then there are others who come for the young girls in the bars and drinking alcohol and having a good time ????

I also agree 2am closing of the bars is a good thing as some people need their beauty ???? 

Some people who visit Thailand may include a trip to one or two "famous" wats as part of their itinerary. but to suggest that people come here solely for that purpose is pure fantasy. There may well be 30000+ wats in Thailand however 29990+ wats are totally unremarkable and are not worth looking at.

The closing time of nightclubs has no bearing on people who wish to visit wats

If lack of beauty sleep is your concern suggest you try sleeping in a hotel close to a Wat and see what time your beauty sleep gets interrupted. You may start to think that wats should be restricted from banging gongs and chanting and wailing , until a more civilised time, to enable people on holiday to enjoy a lie in

• Haha 1