Thai tourists complain of overcharging for trips to South Korea’s Jeju Island

webfact

8 hours ago, webfact said:

They said they reluctantly agreed to pay the extra charges, otherwise the tour agent would not give them their return tickets, adding that many of them were later detained at the airport by immigration officials because their guide had deserted them, leaving them stranded at the airport.

Wow, that is one <deleted>ty holiday

9 hours ago, webfact said:

They claim that they paid 13,999 baht each for a package tour to the island between August 8th and 11th but, upon arrival at the airport there, they were each charged an additional 10,000 baht plus 1,000-1,500 baht for a guide’s service and another 10,000 baht as a guarantee that they will not abscond.

Lucky you didn't have to cough up for accident insurance too...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

This more like Thais cheating other Thais, nothing new here, happen every day, it seems that they didn't get the full information and costs associated with the tour and they got  caught unprepared...

And that point should be made clear one way or another.

Something strange here. Korea is one of the most honest places around.

Perhaps not your normal tour group

Clicked on the full article... Especially the last paragraph

"Hundreds of Thais have, in recent weeks, been detained by South Korean immigration officials and many of them were deported back to Thailand after they were suspected of entering Jeju to work illegally in South Korea"

11 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Those bad Koreans. Thai people would never do such a thing.

I realize you're being facetious, but the headline is obviously very misleading. This incident is completely about Thais being cheated by a Thai tour company, with no accusation of any overcharging by Koreans. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

I realize you're being facetious, but the headline is obviously very misleading. This incident is completely about Thais being cheated by a Thai tour company, with no accusation of any overcharging by Koreans. 

My comment was a parody of how the Thai government/police/media tend to portray these type of incidents. 

I thought that was obvious to most people.

Ever since taking my first trio here in 1990 I have been in impressed by the honesty  of the tour  operators, the quality of the service, the commitment to  fun and the value for money. That's why  Thailand  is so great.. Nothing happens in Thailand  as described in story about Korea.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

No it doesn't but the comment was to be expected.

Perhaps you didn't understand the comment.  What they meant was that normally it is foreigners being scammed and overcharged in Thailand, but now it's Thais being scammed and overcharged in South Korea.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Nothing happens in Thailand  as described in story about Korea.

No scamming in Thailand?  No overcharging in Thailand?  No "you pay now if you want to leave" in Thailand?

I'm very pleased that you have enjoyed your visits to Thailand and never witnessed these things first hand, but do you assume that the countless people that report such things are just lying about Thailand?  What about when it's in a news story or on camera?  A grand conspiracy?  Crisis actors?

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2022 at 8:03 AM, harada said:

Paybacks a bitch. :clap2:

So these Thais were not just innocent victims?

Just because some in the tourist industry fleece us, does not mean innocent people need the same treatment.

In fact, you should be on their side but I guess it's a race thing, right? Some Thais are bad, so they must all be.

Fortunately, this site is a proud sponsor of casual racism against Thai people, so you'll be fine