Low spending tourists and slowing export growth but ‘intact’ economic recovery stays on track say officials

webfact

24 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

No it hasn't.....it is pretty much where it was a month ago, take it back 2 months and it has  lost value v USD. We did have a baht strengthening at the beginning of the month which might have been Thailand using it's foreign reserves to buy Baht cheaply, along with a weakening of USD at that time. If you are comparing to Sterling it is the weakness in that currency that is to blame....it is below 1.17 USD, lowest since about 1985.

Probably the best explanation I've read for the recent Baht fluctuations.

• Like 1

A lot of tourists come here for a good exchange rate and more bang for your buck but tat doesn't see it that way they just want your money and you can go home now but the government can't see that  people are going to Bali because it's reasonably cheap one day they will wake up

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

lower expenditure per capita among incoming tourists

How is the the 'quality tourist' strategy working out for you TAT ? Still, you managed to get your 2022 departmental budget filled on this pipe dream and that's what really matters. 

I doubt anyone will challenge you next year when you make a switch back to targeting Chinese tour groups,  as it's the path of least resistance...

• Like 1

they just need to set up a station just past the immigration station where every tourist has to buy their "tourist bucks", the amount of which is determined by the number of days they stay and tat's required per day spending.

These are of course non-refundable and stamped with an expiration date based on your length of stay.

The article said that each tourist this year spent on average just over 30,000 baht (in comparison to 50k in 2019). It didn't state the average length of stay, but 30k per tourist doesn't sound that low spending if it were for a 1 week holiday. To me it just means they are not suckers buying the overpriced brands in the big shopping malls that they can get cheaper at home.

• Like 2

I came back after a few years elsewhere .. Got off the plane and immediately remembered why I left...

What a polluted mess.  Reality is anyone retiring here would have to be pretty hard up.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Haha 1

How do they know how much we spend? Does the copying passport at exchange booth actually get reported somewhere? Even then I changed lots and put it in my Thai bank account so not spent

Just a usual TAT random dart predicting how much we all spend

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1

I spent last weekend in Chanthaburi.

Not a lot of tourists but in my hotel, quite a few Indians sniffing around.
Probably looking for business opportunities to attract their Indian mates.
Same happening in Pattaya.

A friend of mine, bank manager said, that a few Indians were applying for a bank loan to take over a hotel they want to use for their "Indian" business.

No one knows exactly how the tourists' expenses are calculated here. For example, if a total of 500,000+ day or weekend tourists have come since Malaysia opened its border, the statistical average of tourist spending as a whole will be lower. The bare division: expenses/tourists= average expenses per tourist, is simply far too undifferentiated and not suitable for making well-founded decisions.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Figures released on Friday show that the rate of growth of Thai exports slowed dramatically in July from the month before from 11.9% in June to 4.3%.

Also slowing dramatically, is the number of Hours the staff are working in their Factories.

And when the Electricity increases at the end of the Month, we are going to see an even bigger slow down in Exports, and dare I say it, some Job lay offs, as Companies who are already under the cost cosh, will be no longer able to compete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

The millionaires didn't come to bail-out Thailand then?

People that fall for the Thai scams are people that Thailand wants. They will be parted with their money.

People with a few pennies know Thailand is only fluff and mirrors. Also people with a few bucks are smart enough to hold on to it. 

15 hours ago, Gknrd said:

People that fall for the Thai scams are people that Thailand wants. They will be parted with their money.

People with a few pennies know Thailand is only fluff and mirrors. Also people with a few bucks are smart enough to hold on to it. 

Fluff and mirrors sums up the go-go bars nicely.

That's all Thailands got to offer tourists in the beach resorts.

22 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Also slowing dramatically, is the number of Hours the staff are working in their Factories.

And when the Electricity increases at the end of the Month, we are going to see an even bigger slow down in Exports, and dare I say it, some Job lay offs, as Companies who are already under the cost cosh, will be no longer able to compete

And the 5% increase in minimum wages.

• Like 1