A father in tears: 14 year old motorcyclist dies in NE in head on collision with pick-up - she was on the phone

webfact

I am not a psychologist but I think part of the problem, due to lack of education, training and different culture, is that people do not transition properly from walking to riding motorcycles or driving.

They think they can operate a vehicle with the same lack of care and consequences they have when they are on foot.

I can see them gabbing on the phone as they get in or on and start driving. The phone, or the kids squabbling in the back,  has their attention rather than the operating of an up to two ton lump of lethal metal. Stall holders load their bikes up with provisions for delivery and ride off one handed as they continue to chat to neighbours.

While they take such little care or pride in driving, as it’s not instilled in them in schools or society, then the carnage will continue.

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Not the system. The law says 15 to ride a moto, no phones and wear a helmet. She herself, and her father, let her down.

So... who was checking that she had undergone training?, had a full licence to ride a motorcycle?, who ensured that there was training and road safety education available in the first place?

The system or absence thereof most definitely let this young girl and many others down. 

The system let this young girls parents down, if there is no available training, no effective policing and if this young girls father himself was unaware of the dangers and risks because he himself had no road safety training then I’d argue he too was let down by the ’system’...

It could be argued that the vast majority of Thailands road users are let down by the system and those who ’should’ be better placed to ensure greater road safety and education - the ’system’ i.e. those in positions of decision making power are failing the people because they do not care. 

• Confused 1

Try cycling on the narrow bicycle lane at the Railway Park at weekends. The number of people cycling with one hand on the bar and one taking selfies or chatting on a video call. I just yell, “Oh my god!” Or something that invokes a shock. They brake and say “Sorry” in English as if that makes everything forgivable. It could be a good place to teach kids road sense but parents don’t think this will make a bad habit that their kids will never unlearn.

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe it's easy for me to say this, I grew up without a mobile phone and a bike with clutch and I had both my hands maybe 99% of the time on the handlebar.

Now I still have both my hands 99% of the time on the handlebar. For me, that is the only way to ride a bike.

If I feel my phone vibrating in my pocket and if I expect an urgent and important phone call, then I stop my bike and then take the phone out. Why? Because that just the way it feels secure to do that. I wouldn't want to have a phone in my hand while riding. And I definitely wouldn't want to look at a phone at the same time when I look at the road.

Why do mostly younger people do that?

I guess if they try that for the first time, they must feel uncomfortable and realize they can only concentrate on one of the other. And after they (tried to) brake hard the first time they should also realize that braking hard with one hand on the handlebar just doesn't work.

So why do they still continue with that dangerous habit?

IMHO people who do this must be intellectually challenged, otherwise they wouldn't do it. 

They inherit and copy their parents - the irresponsibles of their own children, the police and the Government

6 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

"braking", not breaking. You don't know how fast the motorbike was going, do you? A modern vehicle is built so flimsily using mostly plastic, this sheet metal,  and very little reinforcement that a front end of a car just about explodes upon any serious impact. At the posted speed limit a motorbike is heavy enough to become a deadly projectile if it hits head on. This is not a fender bender event. Why would you want to shift blame to the driver? 

I think you mean thin sheet metal

3 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Just to settle the age argument, from Wikipedia:

The minimum age to drive a motor vehicle is 18, and to drive a motorcycle is 15.

Source:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_licence_in_Thailand

This is Thailand, land of freedom. 

Often laws are not enforced. On one hand, thousands flock to Pattaya and don't complain about the police turning a blind eye to prostitution, yet complain when the police turn a blind eye to road rules. 

• Haha 1

A 14-year-old girl today has been using a smartphone her whole life. She would probably feel uncomfortable and insecure if she was not holding the phone in her hand. If no one bothered to tell her, why would she think there are times when one should not be using a cell phone?

Edited by Tom Parkinson
Spelling error
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

"braking", not breaking. You don't know how fast the motorbike was going, do you? A modern vehicle is built so flimsily using mostly plastic, this sheet metal,  and very little reinforcement that a front end of a car just about explodes upon any serious impact. At the posted speed limit a motorbike is heavy enough to become a deadly projectile if it hits head on. This is not a fender bender event. Why would you want to shift blame to the driver? 

True a crumple zone is a safety device in most modern cars even 4x4s if you impact an object the front of the vehicle will crumple to prevent the engine being pushed into the cab/car. Even if this poor girl was riding at 20-30 it would have caused severe damage on impact if it was stationary.

1 minute ago, Tom Parkinson said:

A 14-year-old girl today has been using a smartphone her whole life. She would probably feel uncomfortable and insecure if she was not holding the phone in her hand. If not one bothered to tell her, why would she think there are times when one should not be using a cell phone?

Plus she see grown up walking around with their phones in their faces. 

The other end of the spectrum is just as bad.........met a falang, very old, said he was super bike rider.....around 70.    few months later, went into the back windshield of the car in front of him, like 50 face stitches. and more.  

What can I do, say "You idiot, I told you don't ride a bike?"  No, nobody will listen here.

another old guy about 65 crashed after a night out.......broken bones.  told our Thai class, "I lived only a few minutes away."

dude is 65 and this is his excuse.

our species is doomed!!!!!!!!!!! 

39 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

You have no idea how it is to raise a kid in Isarn on a low salary. 

Please don't try to enforce your Western ideals here.

He may or may not know how it is to raise a child in Isaan, but there is a right way and a wrong way, and that knows no culture, borders or inept justice systems or laws. IF you don't have the means to raise a child, you don't have them, period. Children are a product of sex, and there are ways to prevent pregnancies. The justice system here does not enforce child support besides that which involves foreigners, which means the boys can have sex with as many clueless girls as they like, and they won't be paying the price when they inevitably leave. This has been going on for a century, with nothing changed because a lot don't care about children here, besides bragging rights on Facebook. Over 35% of children in Thailand are raised by grandparents, more than any country on earth, many of which are illiterate, penniless and just plain too old to safely take care of the children. Kids are on scooters at age 7, and helmet less, as I see daily here, and it's a tragedy waiting to happen. Western ideals are passed on for a long time, and countless lives are saved by enforcement of laws that would work anywhere, IF the government and police cared. Human trafficking is high here just for that reason. This child died because her parent(s) allowed her to drive a scooter illegally, and yes, driving in every country with a phone in hand kills daily, but here there are many more scooters than most other countries, mainly because of the poverty level, so it's even more important that children aren't allowed to drive them before they are legally, and to be forced to wear helmets, and take a better driving test. Fact, thousands of lives would be saved if their ideals matched other countries. They know what goes on in other countries, having adopted many styles, and with trading with other countries, most of the things you see here, and followed other countries protocols as far as Covid are concerned, besides bragging earlier that they did better than most (luck, mild strains, lot of sun, lower obesity rate, and other factors notwithstanding), so looking at what works as far as driver safety are concerned in other western countries, would definitely work. Again, as I mentioned, saving lives means police enforcement of what is already on the books, and taking a little money from those not following rules, even though they can't afford it, will definitely change things. I have a 5 year old girl here with my ex, and I had to told her many times to make sure her helmet was with her when she picked my daughter back up after I had her. I will most likely be out of this country with my daughter before she reaches age 10, but until then, I worry every day when her mom takes her on the scooter, even though we live in the country area. And my daughter will never drive a scooter in Thailand, even if I live here until she is of legal age, which I won't anyway.

Edited by fredwiggy

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

Another fail for Thai police and Thai parenthood.

With the greatest respect, not just Thailand. How many of you have seen such behavior ending in tragic accidents in your own country as the result of using a smartphone. It is not just children but adults as well!! During my travels throughout neighboring Burma, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam, driving a vehicle whilst using a smartphone was a common sight - school kids, car drivers, lorry drivers, bus drivers, delivery drivers etc. etc.  Some of the worst offenders I saw were food delivery persons on their motorbikes weaving in and out amongst traffic trying to follow a route from GPS whilst holding their smartphones. IMO smartphones are not so "smart" when they are responsible for the tragic death of a person. 

Distracted Driving Cell Phone Use | Dr. John Lloyd | Biomechanics, Human  Factors, Motorcycle Crash Expert

RIP young lady and my sincere condolences to your family.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

So... who was checking that she had undergone training?, had a full licence to ride a motorcycle?, who ensured that there was training and road safety education available in the first place?

The system or absence thereof most definitely let this young girl and many others down. 

The system let this young girls parents down, if there is no available training, no effective policing and if this young girls father himself was unaware of the dangers and risks because he himself had no road safety training then I’d argue he too was let down by the ’system’...

It could be argued that the vast majority of Thailands road users are let down by the system and those who ’should’ be better placed to ensure greater road safety and education - the ’system’ i.e. those in positions of decision making power are failing the people because they do not care. 

How far back must we go? Did 'the system' let the Father's parents down by not teaching HIM how to ride safely.

No sorry Richard, the Father's lack of intelligence/compliance with the Laws let his daughter down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

How far back must we go? Did 'the system' let the Father's parents down by not teaching HIM how to ride safely.

No sorry Richard, the Father's lack of intelligence/compliance with the Laws let his daughter down.

Yes... thats exactly my point...  You missed it or disagree with it. 

Why were todays parents not educated on road safety yesterday ??.... the ‘system’ has let them both down. 

The ‘system’ as we are calling it is also letting down future generations of children down by not educating tomorrows parents today.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

IF you don't have the means to raise a child, you don't have them, period.

28 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I have a 5 year old girl here with my ex, and I had to told her many times to make sure her helmet was with her when she picked my daughter back up after I had her.

So why did you have a child if;

1- You didn't have a solid relationship

2- You can't afford a car

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, edwinchester said:

The minimum age to ride a motorcycle up to 110cc is 15.

True there laid the hypocrisy of the government particularly the police,schools, they have made an allowance but override the so call law without any exception or restrictions. 

It is only going to get worse and the government don't have a clue as to how to fix it nor the parents. The father gave her money to eat but most likely never said a word about using the phone yet he knew of it. 

Her luck ran out today!  RIP! 

In Pattaya. I'm seeing more each day parents, kids in full view of police and teachers yet nothing is said or done. 

4 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

determined both by the speed of the truck, which appears slowing according to the driver

You say 'according to the driver, but I have read the article a few times and I cannot find the part were he says that he was slowing down.

What he did actually state was that he braked coming to a halt.

Notably, he could be perfectly truthful in saying this, whilst at the same time not confessing that he had not yet reached said "halt" when the collision took place.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Are you being serious?

Millions of couples have children without being in a solid relationships.

That's why there are so many divorced/single parents.

This happens all over the world on a daily basis.

As for not being able to afford a car, not everyone can drive or wants a car.

If everyone who had children had a car, the roads would be absolutely jammed up.

Edited by Bert got kinky

2 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Are you being serious?

Millions of couples have children without being in a solid relationships.

That's why there are so many divorced/single parents.

This happens all over the world on a daily basis.

As for not being able to afford a car, not everyone can drive or wants a car.

If everyone who had children had a car, the roads would be absolutely jammed up.

Have you just had your daily blunt?

Red what he wrote and you'll see what I mean. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

No one goes into any relationship knowing the outcome. I have joint custody and always take care of my children, including the other 4 I had back in the states, where I had custody. I have a car, but i don't see where that came into the picture.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

His only daughter was dead - hit head on by a pick-up truck.

The driver of the Nissan Navaro said he saw her on the phone coming towards him. He braked coming to a halt but she rode into his lane on the two lane road and collided head on, reported Daily News.

These statement contradict each other.

He was stationary, then the rider rode into the pickup , the rider was not hit head-on, she hit the vehicle head on

Tragedy of youth and no road sense

• Like 1