Bangkok gets tough with motorcyclists riding or parking on pavements

snoop1130

Weird sounding headline, in the US we don't call the sidewalks pavements, that's mostly what we call roads and parking lots. Technically anything that's paved can be called a pavement. But then the sidewalks in Bangkok are made of ceramic tiles, so what's up with that? They just finished replacing a whole lot of them all along Ratchaprarop and nearby streets. You can see those tiles in the photo. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

You Americans would get really confused if you knew much of the world calls them footpaths.

Motorbikes belong on the road with the petrol guzzling taxis (you know petroleum is a liquid, not a gas don't you?), where they are at risk of getting hit by a car bonnet and ending up on the boot.

Was gonna reply to the OP but you have phrased it so eloquently, no need ????

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 7:52 AM, ThailandRyan said:

+1 on this sentiment, only need to add in that last evening the GF and I almost became flattened by a moto taxi driver riding on the sidewalk (Foot Path), and a few seconds later by a grab delivery rider, and they were driving the wrong way even on the sidewalk......but wait for it.....this was all done in front of the RTP running the traffic box at Rama 4 rd, and Sathorn Thai Rd.....in plain view as the police officer standing in the lane watched and did nothing......

as I said in my previous post

"after all the police are part of the problem, riding there themselves and also with their "no see" attitude"

• Like 1

13 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Easy solution get the motorcycle police to ride on the pavements/sidewalks to catch them, after all the police are part of the problem, riding there themselves and also with their "no see" attitude unless you pay them.

"..."no see" attitude unless you pay them."

Maybe something to do with very low pay for the police, I believe they start on around 8,000 Baht pm. (They also have to pay for their own firearm (probably at massively inflated prices)).

2 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

???? joking again ........

Could anyone come up with something new as the "no driving on pavement" is sooooooooooo old and worn already?

Yep the subject has been paved over many times with the sidewalks now 5" higher...