Thailand’s once mighty foreign tourism industry lastingly damaged with lower spends and numbers

webfact

13 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

.  But what is firsthand from me is third-party to you, so you may choose to believe what you wish.

All the best to you, and I hope you do not come up against the same kind of trouble we experienced.  I agree with you that such intolerance is wrong, but it certainly does exist.

What was uttered to you at some backwater crossing has nothing to do with reality

• Sad 6

2 minutes ago, mania said:

You might even be surprised to learn those that cannot even be mentioned here also hold multiple passports

I am well aware that people can hold multiple passports.  That is not the issue.  Thailand, technically, does not care.  But a Thai citizen is never supposed to use another passport, other than his or her Thai passport, to enter Thailand.  That is what we were told in no uncertain terms.

You may not appreciate the information....yet.  You may regret having gone this route with your wife later when the experience becomes your own.  Some get away with it, some don't. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wasn't aware that such was necessary, but if I had been considering a visit, now that I know the situation I would be cancelling any visit to ( once upon a time but no longer ) LOS.

I can remember when Thailand actually welcomed tourists and made it easy. I got 90 days visa exempt at the border and unlimited back to back visa runs to Malaya. Happy days back then.

Yes then it was a great place to be, happy days, but not now all that finished long time ago.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

while Thailand will be aiming to achieve, at best, only 33% of the numbers seen three years ago or a 67% loss. This news must be disturbing for the sector in Thailand and raises questions about the permanent damage inflicted on the Thai industry since 2020.

These numbers make no sense,

If Thailand is expecting a max 4M visitors

And those visitors are spending 11% less

that's a 90+% loss.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Figures this week from Paris show a French foreign tourist industry achieving revenues nationally at 22% ahead of figures for 2019 while Thailand will be aiming to achieve, at best, only 33% of the numbers seen three years ago or a 67% loss. This news must be disturbing for the sector in Thailand and raises questions about the permanent damage inflicted on the Thai industry since 2020.

Good. Looks like the French just understood they don't have to get scammed in LOS.

43 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

I am well aware that people can hold multiple passports.  That is not the issue.  Thailand, technically, does not care.  But a Thai citizen is never supposed to use another passport, other than his or her Thai passport, to enter Thailand.  That is what we were told in no uncertain terms.

You may not appreciate the information....yet.  You may regret having gone this route with your wife later when the experience becomes your own.  Some get away with it, some don't. 

Ok move along now nothing to see here ????

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Its hardly surprising that tourists are spending less - have you seen the price of flights??

ANA & United have some good deals going.

Also not sure if true as we couldn't wait to book but some say airfares always drop after Labor day in the US

Will see as that is Monday