Enoch Powell, he wasnt wrong in his forecast !

CharlieH

17 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

I wont even bother to answer why ,look in the papers ,dancing for gay pride ,taking the knee ,wearing rainbow painted fingernails ,on and on ,the police are no longer fit for purpose.

There has been a change .

LBTG pride march attendees have now stated that LBTG Police officers are now longer welcome at their pride marches and shouldn't attend this all inclusive gathering 

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No, I do not agree with Enoch Powell’s views.

The basis of restrictions he wanted was race, he was a racist, why would I agree with a racist?

Enoch Powell wanted immigration restrictions on citizens of all former colonies , regardless of the race of people .

Do you agree with Enoch Powell that people from the former British colonies should have travel restrictions placed on them when going to the UK or should all the people from former British colonies be allowed to freely enter the UK unrestricted 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Enoch Powell wanted immigration restrictions on citizens of all former colonies , regardless of the race of people .

Do you agree with Enoch Powell that people from the former British colonies should have travel restrictions placed on them when going to the UK or should all the people from former British colonies be allowed to freely enter the UK unrestricted 

I don't think they ever were. I've never had any right of residence in the UK as an Australian.

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

That was not his argument.

As I have commented before, at the time of his statements immigration to the Uk was predominantly, by a wide margin, from the Caribbean.

He knew who he was referring to and so did those listening to him.

His defenders and admirers certainly knew.

I’ll say this again, so you don’t have to come back at a different angle.

I am not in agreement with Enoch Powell on any matters of immigration, race, race relations and his predictions for British society.

But I don’t discount him entirely, his Latin scholarship was remarkable.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I don't think they ever were. I've never had any right of residence in the UK as an Australian.

Briefly, he made the speech because citizens of the former British colonies were allowed to enter the UK and live in the UK unrestricted and without needing a Visa and he wanted there to be regulations , because British people were not allowed to go and live in their Countries . 

Cannot believe you didnt know that , that is what the whole speech was about 

• Like 1

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

Briefly, he made the speech because citizens of the former British colonies were allowed to enter the UK and live in the UK unrestricted and without needing a Visa and he wanted there to be regulations , because British people were not allowed to go and live in their Countries . 

He was more concerned that the black man would get the whip hand. I doubt very much that Powell was merely campaigning for reciprocal visa rights. One always knows when the speaker knows they are lying because they need to resort to dog whistles like Powell did.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

That was not his argument.

As I have commented before, at the time of his statements immigration to the Uk was predominantly, by a wide margin, from the Caribbean.

He knew who he was referring to and so did those listening to him.

His defenders and admirers certainly knew.

Powell mainly argued against 50k dependents a year being allowed in, that would be an amazingly low figure today. Here is a question, how many  immigrants do you think should be allowed in every year, and do you agree illegals with no valid asylum claims should be sent back?

Edited by proton
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

He was more concerned that the black man would get the whip hand. I doubt very much that Powell was merely campaigning for reciprocal visa rights. One always knows when the speaker knows they are lying because they need to resort to dog whistles like Powell did.

And it’s a whistle that’s still getting their attention.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, proton said:

Powell mainly argued against 50k dependents a year being allowed in, that would be an amazingly low figure today. Here is a question, how many do immigrants do you think should be allowed in every year, and do you agree illegals with no valid asylum claims should be sent back?

My views on immigration are not the topic of discussion.

You will not make this discussion about me.

Refer to the top of the thread to discover what topic of discussion actually is.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

He made a speech singling out immigrants that he thought would win him Power.

He’s not the first to do so, he’ll not be the last.

• Haha 1

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

I didn't say he as campaigning for that , he wanted the UK to have the same rules as other Countries had

Yes, in relation to residency and working rights aka visas. I don't believe for an instant that Powell wanted British to have the right to go cut sugar cane in the Carribean.

• Like 1