Fourth COVID vaccine shot substantially reduces risk of pneumonitis and death

webfact

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

With the greatest respect, proof please. I have not knowingly become infected with Covid-19. I have never been tested as I have never felt unwell. I have never experienced any symptoms other than a mild cold which a hot coffee and a paracetamol relieved. My body temperature was always in the range 36 to 37 (normal). I no longer wear a mask but do regularly wash my hands. Personally, I regard myself as never being a Covid-19 patient. I have had 4 "jabs" so far. 2 starters of Sinovac, then first booster Sinovac and second booster Pfizer. Due third booster shortly.

I don't think he was being literal.  Most people have had Covid and how they come up with these numbers is questionable. 100% of people after getting a fourth shot don't die????

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stoner said:

i predict a thread heading in about 6 to 8 months from now saying how x number of boosters will boost your boost so much that you wont need to boost for another 6 months at least.

You have heard about the notion of annual flu vaccine shots, right?  It's not exactly a foreign concept... 

But whether that will ultimately become necessary/advised for COVID in the future remains a bit unknown right now, AFAIK.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The 3rd booster may also be effective against kangaroo pox. Where do these numbers come from? Are the boosters even effective against Omicron, and BA 4.6, BA5 and BA 4.6? How many boosters is enough? At what point do we start depending on a healthy immune system?

Probably the same frequency as Flu vaccins . 

31 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I don't think he was being literal.  Most people have had Covid and how they come up with these numbers is questionable. 100% of people after getting a fourth shot don't die????

Unfortunately, the Thai MoPH, AFAICT, didn't specify in their public info the number of vaccinated folks tracked in their May to July sample, nor did they say how long they were tracked for post vaccination....

But, a large scale study out of Singapore has done exactly that, with very good vaccine effectiveness findings for mRNA COVID booster shots in preventing serious COVID illness for at least six months post injection. And that's great news!

Booster Shots Protect Against Severe Covid for at Least Six Months, Study Finds

"The mRNA booster vaccines -- made by drugmakers Pfizer Inc. and BionTech SE, or Moderna Inc. -- were most effective in cutting the rate of people with severe Covid, scoring an estimated 87%, and there was no evidence of their effect waning within six months, the study found."

The study was led by researchers at Singapore’s National Center for Infectious Diseases and the National University of Singapore. It canvassed 2.4 million Singaporean residents aged 30 years and above vaccinated with at least two doses."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-26/boosters-protect-against-severe-covid-for-six-months-study-says

Not too different from the more vaguely reported Thai data -- 83% effectiveness against serious COVID after three shots.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Anybody know if Bang Rak Medical Centre vax site (St Louis BTS) is still operating? Or Bang Sue?

I haven't heard anything lately about public vaccinations at Bang Rak...

But the Bang Sue Central Vaccination Center was slated to continue operating thru the end of September.

"The Bang Sue Grand Station's Central Vaccination Center (CVC) has announced it will continue to provide vaccination services until the end of September.

According to CVC director Dr. Mingkwan Wichaidit, the center was originally scheduled to close at the end of August. However, public health officials decided to postpone its closure to continue providing services as people still come in for vaccinations and booster shots.

He stated that the closure date could be changed again depending on the circumstances and that the CVC could be reopened for service immediately if necessary."

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/pfbid02HmQxyX9a3wNKDh4F1NN9B4YP2efhk9dLEBqF6hE1ME9r3v1exDB6KMnL29ubegPfl

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

44 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The stated aim of the public health community is to hopefully get future COVID vaccine shots to be on an annual basis, if needed. It's exactly a valid comparison.

"Hopefully", right. With the bi-annual emergence of vaccine-resistant "variants", it seems their "hopes" will not be achieved anytime soon (and the cynic in me thinks they are just fine with that).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You have heard about the notion of annual flu vaccine shots, right?  It's not exactly a foreign concept...

No, it isn't. But nor are the annual flu vaccines endlessly discussed every day on the mainstream media.

So if serial boosters seem to some people like a 'foreign concept', it is the hysterical media that is mostly to blame.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, perconrad said:

My wife and I we have not had Covid also many we know have not, but I have had 2 vaccines and 3 boosters

My wife & I have had the Single J&J shot. (we only got it because at the time seemed like Thailand would require it for re-entry)

Since Then...

Flown all over the USA on mask-less 6hour+ flights & Stayed in a few states all mask-less & have not gotten covid either

So who knows eh? ????

Edited by mania

11 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

Wise words, and yet in this day and age they get frowned upon as they "promote vaccine hesitancy". As if hesitating about this was intrinsically a bad thing.

It's an orthodoxy, a belief system and anything that goes against it is crushed.

Be healthy, take care of your body.

'Be healthy, take care of your body.'

Evidentially, this is sadly not a reliable maxim or there would be no need for vaccines.  It's mostly true where Omicron is concerned though- It's very unlikely a healthy person will suffer serious illness.

Too easy to forget that the earlier variants killed tens of thousands in the UK for instance, some of them even young and healthy.

Even now, the vaccines make a dramatic difference for those with chronic underlying conditions.

I would agree that there are doom and gloom merchants who over emphasize the dangers of the omicron variant for reasons best known to themselves.

2 hours ago, Eleftheros said:

Amazingly, no government as far as I am aware even mentioned the role of Vitamin D in helping to maintain the immune system, a factor which has been known about for decades and is the subject of a whole raft of scientific studies.

You're unaware of the UK government giving out free Vitamin D and advising everyone to take supplements then?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

You're unaware of the UK government giving out free Vitamin D and advising everyone to take supplements then?

If you read the official Covid-19 rapid guidelines on Vitamin D from the UK's National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, part of the DHSS, you will see that it specifically states: "Do not offer a vitamin D supplement to people solely to prevent COVID-19, except as part of a clinical trial." Vitamin D was employed to counteract lack of sunlight, for the winter months only. (Recommendation 1.2, page 7).

6 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

If you read the official Covid-19 rapid guidelines on Vitamin D from the UK's National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, part of the DHSS, you will see that it specifically states: "Do not offer a vitamin D supplement to people solely to prevent COVID-19, except as part of a clinical trial." Vitamin D was employed to counteract lack of sunlight, for the winter months only. (Recommendation 1.2, page 7).

Why would they offer it solely for covid 19? Here is what I said

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Here is the proof

During the autumn and winter months everyone in the UK is advised to take a supplement of vitamin D every day to support general health.

This advice is particularly important for people who have been shielding this year due to coronavirus (COVID-19), or who are living in care homes, because they are more likely to have been indoors over the spring and summer and so may not have been able to obtain enough vitamin D from sunlight.

Women and children who qualify for the Healthy Start scheme can get free supplements containing vitamin D.

Currently in the UK, free supplements of folic acid, vitamin C and D are available to low-income new or expecting parents as part of the UK’s Healthy Start scheme – a program similar to the UK Welfare Food Scheme, but for young families. 

• Like 1

The continued discussion of vitamins / supplements in regard to COVID here in this thread is going off-topic. And their use specifically to prevent or treat COVID is not recognized by the various major public health agencies. Therefore, time to move on and remain on-topic....

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Not me, I haven't had Covid...

I'm not sure if I had it or not.  May have had it in August 2020 as almost everyone in the Tambon had bad upper respiratory infections.  I may go to a lab to get a antibody test to see if I've been exposed now that a positive antibody test (not an antigen test - different test) won't flag you for an unwanted stay in a Covid ward.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1