Thailand Heading For A Bustling High Season

webfact

11 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Here I will repair the title based upon the increased global prices on flights and fuel and the increases to ones daily life back home:

Thailand Heading For A Busted High Season

I think you are wrong.

IMO there will be a high season that was busier than last year. Not sure that I would stretch it as far as 'bustling' but it will put rice in the mouths of workers in the tourism industry.

The increases in home country fuel bills etc are one reason to encourage snowbirds back to Thailand.

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here in CNX I was surprised how quite it was on Nimmanhaemin Road on a Sunday.  I saw mostly locals and some hit and miss foreigners(a lot of them were long term residents like myself).  Also, just based upon aircraft noise from takeoffs at CNX airport it does not appear the number of flights has increased dramatically.  It is now September so when will the masses of tourist arrive?  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

TAT) expects a busy high season this year

When do they ever expect anything less?  Their pronouncements are usually so far off the mark as to be labelled propaganda or false news.  And they have a job for LIFE with no accountability!

• Like 1

Came across an announcement that Thai AirAsiaX will be flying twice a week direct to Tbilisi Georgia. (From October 8 )

Tbilisi is a lovely city but one wonders if it has anything to do with Georgia having open borders with Russia.

The flights are charter and bookings are done through a travel agent. (An unusual model for AirAsia)

https://newsroom.airasia.com/news/thai-airasia-x-to-fly-direct-to-tbilisi-georgia-2-times-a-week-from-oct-2022

Edited by Spilornis

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Kind of like saying Mali is experiencing rapid growth. When you are comparing anything to near zero, growth is inevitable. The real question is, will the hotels and people in the industry see a profit? Are the tourists who come going to spend any real money? Can the industry be sustained, after massive sabotage and legendary timidity? Or has Thailand been forgotten? 

Have you been to Pattaya recently?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, webfact said:

THE TOURISM Authority of Thailand (TAT) expects a busy high season this year with both Thais and foreigners travelling extensively after Covid control measures were relaxed from April onwards with the country fully opened to tourism in July, INN News said Saturday evening (Sept. 3).

They are basing this projection on the correlation between the number of Indians reporting having their gold chains and wallet stolen by ladyboys.  That predictor has recently hit an all time high encouraging optimism for increased tourists. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I stopped reading at this point.

Should've been the case some time back, whereas it seems that all the quality tabloid news centers around tourism related. Why is any of this news

• Like 1

From my own observations which are based solely on Pattaya vloggers on YouTube, the place looks deader than a doornail. Just taking a gander at all the recently uploaded videos, there really isn't that much to shout home about. The bars appear to be mostly bustling with bar girls with the occasional smattering of farangs nursing their cold bottles of Singha, and the streets look half-deserted. I suppose that can be seen as a positive if you want to be the main focus of attention as a paying customer, but that can't be good if you're trying to run a successful business. Even Central Festival looks pretty devoid of tourists early in the evenings. Plus, a lot of shops are still shuttered-up along many stretches of once thriving thoroughfares and side-streets. Unless all these YouTube vloggers are using digital trickery, it doesn't quite square with what TAT is telling us.

Either way, the government needs to do more to entice Western tourists back to Thailand. A moratorium on tourist visas and the easing of application requirements might help, but that's only one suggestion. Perhaps trying to increase the output of jet fuel and passing it onto their government-owned airlines with an eye at reducing the overall cost of a flight might be another. Before anyone jumps on the logistics of such a feat, it's not up to me as a potential tourist to devise a plan at rescuing their flagging tourist model. Though it is up to me to decide whether I want to pay and fly 5,923 miles to LOS in the current global downturn. Over to you, Thailand...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I think you are wrong.

IMO there will be a high season that was busier than last year. Not sure that I would stretch it as far as 'bustling' but it will put rice in the mouths of workers in the tourism industry.

The increases in home country fuel bills etc are one reason to encourage snowbirds back to Thailand.

Snowbirds do not help the classic tourist industry. It's the 2 or 3 weeks couple / family tourism that keeps the wheel turning and brings money to the people. And they will be shocked by the inflated ticket fares.

• Like 2

I think that at the end of April 2023, TAT will more accurately be able to say whether or not

the 2022, 2023 Winter was a great success or not. For now it is a bit like a weather forecast,

and will be only so accurate.   Meanwhile I was told that Air Canada in Canada will only allow 1 piece of luggage

free on international flights, and is charging 100 dollars for the 2nd piece of luggage. How is that for a policy change?                                                       I will be checking to see if any Asian based airlines are doing any changes like this.  If not I will not be flying via Air Canada this Winter.

grumble grumble.

• Like 1

Flew out of CNX airport last night to BKK.  To me it looked about 95% of the passengers were Thai’s.  I did see a small number of foreigners at the airpot but was really surprised it was not bustling with tourists coming and going.  Saw a group Mormon Missionaries on my flight(are they considered a s Tourists?). 

At my hotel in Bangkok(close to BKK Airport) it feels very empty.  About 4 people at the breakfast buffet.  BKK Airport was busier than in 2021 and early 2022 but nowhere close to where it was like in 2019.  I can tell when a hotel is not busy because the shuttle van only took 10 minutes to pick me up from the gate.  

Who knows maybe October, November and December will be a tsunami of arrivals? Maybe not? 

• Like 1