New traffic law that requires all passengers in vehicles to wear seat belts

snoop1130

18 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

making a law is one thing enforce it is another... Today 5 September heavy fines for no helmets... We were on the road a lot, but haven;t seen 1 policeman, but a lot of people with no helmets. Same will be for seatbelts. How can you oblige people in the car to wear a seatbelt as in the back of the car the rest of the family/friends/workers are sitting/laying without anything?? Means that if you don't want to wear a belt go sit in the back and no problems??? where will it be enforced only highways and not provincial and secondary roads?? How about cars which are already seems to be 50 years old? 

I'm for freedom of choice.  Seatbelts do more good than harm, but sometimes they can kill or injure.  To my mind, driving situations differ in the relative risks of wearing them or not wearing them.  In town, at low speeds, I'd feel safer without one.  On the highway, at high speeds, it's likely safer to wear it.  Passing through mountainous or watery terrains, I'd prefer to go without.  I've seen situations where people's lives were saved because they were NOT wearing a seatbelt, such as when a whole van with 16 people plunged off a logging bridge (not a high-quality bridge, and low to the water) into a river--all 15 of those wearing seatbelts perished, the one passenger without a belt managed to escape.  I do believe that these situations tend to occur less often than the other way around, but I think people should have freedom to choose for themselves.

So I'm happy if the traffic laws on seatbelts are not fastidiously enforced.

Edited by AsianAtHeart
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The compulsory wearing of seat belts in cars which have them is unenforceable.  There is another law about black windscreens which is similarly ignored (till the end of the month in desperate times.)  Police cannot see in until the driver deigns to wind down his window allowing enough time for his passengers time to rectify the situation; same with using the phone whilst driving.

• Like 2

Good Morning,

if it’s anything like wearing helmets or having dozens in the back of a open pick-up trucks then this is hilarious ???? 

The other day at the RTP training center in ChoHo Thailand dozens !!! Of police leaving the compound with no helmets being worn at ALL !! 
RTP Set the example before you start looking to enforce laws and rules !  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, transam said:

Can you imagine all those people carrying pick-ups having seat belts in the rear tray........????...................????

..one could argue 'in' is inside and 'on' is on the cargo tray..i would like to read the fully amended Land Traffic Act first!  ????

11 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

I'm for freedom of choice.  Seatbelts do more good than harm, but sometimes they can kill or injure.  To my mind, driving situations differ in the relative risks of wearing them or not wearing them.  In town, at low speeds, I'd feel safer without one.  On the highway, at high speeds, it's likely safer to wear it.  Passing through mountainous or watery terrains, I'd prefer to go without.  I've seen situations where people's lives were saved because they were NOT wearing a seatbelt, such as when a whole van with 16 people plunged off a logging bridge (not a high-quality bridge, and low to the water) into a river--all 15 of those wearing seatbelts perished, the one passenger without a belt managed to escape.  I do believe that these situations tend to occur less often than the other way around, but I think people should have freedom to choose for themselves.

So I'm happy if the traffic laws on seatbelts are not fastidiously enforced.

Good opinion but that is the reason for the problem here! 

You must have a crystal ball as to when it is safe and not which translate you know exactly the result will be if you were to wear one or not. 

Laws are pull in for s reason sadly Thailand like to copy other countries but don't have the necessary police system to enforce.

Rules are put in for a reason so if there is a minicus of a chance it happens.

12 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

making a law is one thing enforce it is another... Today 5 September heavy fines for no helmets... We were on the road a lot, but haven;t seen 1 policeman, but a lot of people with no helmets. Same will be for seatbelts. How can you oblige people in the car to wear a seatbelt as in the back of the car the rest of the family/friends/workers are sitting/laying without anything?? Means that if you don't want to wear a belt go sit in the back and no problems??? where will it be enforced only highways and not provincial and secondary roads?? How about cars which are already seems to be 50 years old? 

Let's be honest, with so many vehicles with heavy tint on the windows how can the police even see if the driver and passengers are wearing seatbelts. There's a damn good reason most countries limit the degree of tint permitted on side and fronfront side windows and/or ban the tinting of windscreens. Hard to enforce a law if you can't see it's being broken.

• Like 2