Suspended PM insists his term in office has not yet expired

snoop1130

If the Constitutional Court makes an unconstitutional decision, currently it can't be held accountable.

Impeachment of its judges requires in part a vote of 3/5ths of the Senate currently appointed by the then NCPO (aka junta) and controlled by a pro-military coalition including active duty/retired military and police. 

"Thai-styled" democracy in plain view.

• Like 2

"he claims that his first term, under the Interim 2014 Constitution (B.E. 2557) expired along with the replacement of the interim charter by the 2017 Constitution."

Surely therefore, he served his First term, which then expired.

And the second term of 4 years began in 2017 !

Therefore, that second term of 4 years, should expire in 2021 ?

Or is my Maths, not up to it  ?

2 minutes ago, rovinman said:

"he claims that his first term, under the Interim 2014 Constitution (B.E. 2557) expired along with the replacement of the interim charter by the 2017 Constitution."

Surely therefore, he served his First term, which then expired.

And the second term of 4 years began in 2017 !

Therefore, that second term of 4 years, should expire in 2021 ?

Or is my Maths, not up to it  ?

I think a more usefull question is ,

If the 2017 Constitution nullified his term. Who

appointed him PM after the the Constitution but bufore the Election.

He just does not have a clue. Cha Cha is so wrapped up in his own world, he is so self absorbed, he does not see that he is hated, disapproved of and not needed or wanted. 

The destruction is enough. We do not need you to decimate Thailand any further. Go away. Go very far away. Leave the country and never look back, please.

History will likely remember you as the one who started the one time tiger of SE Asia onto a path of negative economic growth, high unemployment, and great unhappiness of the people. 

We know you loved the power and great benefits  from the job. But, enough is enough. 

• Thanks 1

Can anyone give me a satisfactory explanation of why these mega-rich axholes can never be satisfied with their ill-gotten gains, and desperately grasp after more? 
I am sure he, along with his pals, has extracted enough from the system to live in luxury to the end of his days, anywhere in the world, and without the daily grind of political "work", or risk of assassination.

If it were me, I would be off, chop-chop.

15 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

The court ruling to suspend him is a clear message that those in real power do not want him in post any longer.

Now whether they are enthused by Prawit's dynamic leadership style, or are lining up their chosen replacement, or are merely open to bids from interested parties ( let's face it, all the top jobs in the country are sold) we don't know, but Prayut is out. 

Quite right. The higher authority/real power will decide on this issue. If he is required to stay he will stay. If not, he will be gone.

• Like 2

Let's see if the general statement of the constitution applies, that no person can hold the post of PM for longer than 8 years. The original purpose is to avoid someone permanently seizing power. The danger that dictatorial structures can arise from this is simply too great. Especially where the majority principle in parliament only applies to a limited extent, as in the case of Thailand, where 250 senators are appointed. Let's see if an individual's ego is above the constitution. That Prayut had his 8 years as a PM can not be disputed.

Edited by tomacht8

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

In what is believed to be his written statement to the Constitutional Court, which was leaked today, he claims that his first term, under the Interim 2014 Constitution (B.E. 2557) expired along with the replacement of the interim charter by the 2017 Constitution.

It started when he took control... 

Not when he re-wrote the constitution.

1 hour ago, Grusa said:

Can anyone give me a satisfactory explanation of why these mega-rich axholes can never be satisfied with their ill-gotten gains, and desperately grasp after more? 
I am sure he, along with his pals, has extracted enough from the system to live in luxury to the end of his days, anywhere in the world, and without the daily grind of political "work", or risk of assassination.

They fear that the balance of power will change to their disadvantage and that their past deeds will then be reappraised. Imagine if the poor in the country were in power and set up a tax police to check the origin of one or the other's wealth.

14 hours ago, steven100 said:

Thank you .....   and correct .

Steven, you’ll have all the info and knowledge. Does that mean your job as his minded is safe?

if so, it will save you having to replace the Prayuth poster above your bed with that of Prawit. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grusa said:

How about an insatiable and pathological thirst for power and money? It seems for many, that thirst cannot be quenched, no matter how much they have, nor how powerful they are. Think of Trump, Marcos, Castro, Xi, Putin, Duvalier, Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and so many others. 

• Thanks 1

list of Thai PM and when they took office

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prime_ministers_of_Thailand#:~:text=The post of prime minister was held by,since the coup d'état on 22 May 2014.

Prayut Chan-o-cha at the Enthronement of Naruhito (1).jpg
Prayut Chan-o-cha
ประยุทธ์ จันทร์โอชา
(born 1954)
24 August 2014[5] 24 August 2022
(Constitutional Court suspends term.)[6]
8 years Military National Council for Peace and Order
(interim)
Prayut I
King Rama X official (crop).png

Vajiralongkorn
(2016–)
  2019 Palang Pracharath

Sadly I was so pleased to see the back of the Shin tribe I thought Prayut would be a good guy.

Considering he has done little in keeping his promises in the last eight years it is time he went, but not just a swap for The Watchman. 

2014 to 2017 was his 1st term and his second full 4 years has come to its end.

It is time for an election.

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback
more text

I'm an amateur when it comes to Thai politics and perhaps this has been said before in a different form, but I'll say it anyway...

If the PM is counting his premiership from 2017, then any laws he signed into force before then are null and void. He didn't have the authority to sign the documents and his action in doing so is unconstitutional. 

19 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

The court ruling to suspend him is a clear message that those in real power do not want him in post any longer.

Now whether they are enthused by Prawit's dynamic leadership style, or are lining up their chosen replacement, or are merely open to bids from interested parties ( let's face it, all the top jobs in the country are sold) we don't know, but Prayut is out. 

Nailed it.