That's the problem right there! Farmers go on pointing fest

webfact

I don't suppose the rain and lack of gravel had anything to do with that.  Aren't they pointing to their own tire tracks?  With the whole group of them there, one would think it possible for them to go in together on purchasing a little gravel for their road--if nothing else, at least for those rougher spots.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

And you think that will stay? After a couple of rain storms it will be all washed away!

How I know, in our OLD village there is 2km of the same kind of road which is the major road out of there (now) because the other road is flooded.

A couple of months all (most) off the villagers chipped in and put gravel on the whole stretch (and used their tractors to level it etc etc), a couple of weeks later it was ALL gone (washed away)

Was that on the side of a hill with no ditch and culverts to direct the runoff under the road?  Naturally, if the road is part of the floodplain and/or basically a riverbed, you'll have a hard time keeping gravel there.  But in that case, even asphalt won't last too long before it is undermined and washed out as well.

1 hour ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Was that on the side of a hill with no ditch and culverts to direct the runoff under the road?  Naturally, if the road is part of the floodplain and/or basically a riverbed, you'll have a hard time keeping gravel there.  But in that case, even asphalt won't last too long before it is undermined and washed out as well.

Not on a side of the Hill! Just a straight road alongside rice fields.

The road in question doesn't look as bad as the one in the OP but it is absolutely full of potholes. No pleasure to drive on it!

Villagers can't wait till the end of rainy season, because then one of these road graders will come and make the road oke again (till the start of the rainy season that is)

Funny story about that road.

It connects 2 villages together, they got the money to start building a concrete road (total of 4(ish) km long) So they started to build the road at the other village, because that is closer to the main route to the "bigger" city where the concrete has to come from.

Oke end of story, money completely gone and only approx half of the road road finished and that is now 3-4 years ago. TiT

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Denim said:

Oh its all still there , pressed down under the mud. Dig down 6 inches or so and you will find the gravel. If you lay gravel on mud, then it rains and then everyone drives on it, this is what happens.

Ask any Roman, they will tell you so.

Makes total sense.

thx

4 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

I don't suppose the rain and lack of gravel had anything to do with that.  Aren't they pointing to their own tire tracks?  With the whole group of them there, one would think it possible for them to go in together on purchasing a little gravel for their road--if nothing else, at least for those rougher spots.

I would have thought there must be enough buildings being demolished all over for them to get some of the concrete

Sorry your plight is not our concern , we need the money

to buy useless Submarines ,yes they have no engines ,but

the commissions are excellent, and we need the newest

jet fighters ,although they might be too complicated to

fly , anyway the rainy season will be over and roads will

be dry.....

regards worgeordie 

• Like 1

Don't suppose that this lot have heard of drainage!

We have the same problems up here. More roads like that than highways. Get in there with a chog-chog and get the water to run off. A hundred lorry loads of red stone would sort it. But expensive at the mo'.

6 hours ago, Denim said:

Oh its all still there , pressed down under the mud. Dig down 6 inches or so and you will find the gravel. If you lay gravel on mud, then it rains and then everyone drives on it, this is what happens.

Ask any Roman, they will tell you so.

If this is what actually happened, and it sounds quite probable, my recommendation would be for a larger rock size to start with.  Get river rock--the stuff that averages 2" - 4" (5-10 cm) in diameter.  It's hard to drive on, so do NOT do this during dry season: make sure you have mud for it to sink into.  Once that stuff gets pressed in / settled out, you can then bring in the more ordinary gravel.

In lieu of this, the only other way is to put a very HEAVY layer of the ordinary gravel, one which makes it difficult to drive through for awhile until it sinks in as well.  Been there, done that.  I actually had to remove some of the layer as it was so thick the wheels tended to get stuck in it (the gravel that is--which was at least a foot (30 cm) thick, and more in places).

Of course, if you've got the dough and the manpower, you could always lay down a cobblestone road with bricks.  Some villages I've seen, such as near Mae Hong Son, have done this.  In Tak province there are a number of roads with two concrete tracks.  Saves money and time in making them, but can be a challenge to keep the vehicle on the tracks without slipping over one edge or another.

To me it looks like small roads connecting the farms to main and village roads. That they have to fix themselves, same as my wife´s father have to do every second year. Not, newsworthy at all. Just to stop complaining and fix the problem.

2 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

If this is what actually happened, and it sounds quite probable, my recommendation would be for a larger rock size to start with.  Get river rock--the stuff that averages 2" - 4" (5-10 cm) in diameter.  It's hard to drive on, so do NOT do this during dry season: make sure you have mud for it to sink into.  Once that stuff gets pressed in / settled out, you can then bring in the more ordinary gravel.

In lieu of this, the only other way is to put a very HEAVY layer of the ordinary gravel, one which makes it difficult to drive through for awhile until it sinks in as well.  Been there, done that.  I actually had to remove some of the layer as it was so thick the wheels tended to get stuck in it (the gravel that is--which was at least a foot (30 cm) thick, and more in places).

Of course, if you've got the dough and the manpower, you could always lay down a cobblestone road with bricks.  Some villages I've seen, such as near Mae Hong Son, have done this.  In Tak province there are a number of roads with two concrete tracks.  Saves money and time in making them, but can be a challenge to keep the vehicle on the tracks without slipping over one edge or another.

You must be the only surviving Roman !

My wise father used to say :

Cheapest is more expensive in the end.

Edited by Denim

14 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Is that how government is supposed to work--you're on your own, build your own infrastructure?

Is that how Bangkok got its skytrain and subway built; everyone "went together" to put it up?

39 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Yes, if it is a government of the people, by the people, and for the people.

No, if the government is despotic, anarchical, monarchical, or autocratic.

I don't think anarchical governments are known for building infrastructure, or anything else.

Despotic, monarchical and autocratic government will sometimes develop their capital cities into first world showcase cities while the rest of the country exists in third world conditions.  Kind of the way Bangkok was in the 1990's, and to a lesser degree still is.

22 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

So now the people are responsible for repairing the roads too?!? What next? Should they also diagnose themselves when sick and carry out the operation as well?

The country has money to squander on submarines, military arsenal, watches, etc., but they can't improve the infrastructure in rural Thailand?

Billions (trillions?) being spent in the capital on projects to make life easier for the Bangkokians, but in places where the residents don't drive BMWs, Mercedes-Benzs or Porsches can take care of the roads themselves?!

• Love It 1