Public should not worry about new Omicron subvariants: DMSC

webfact

Nothing to worry about indeed. Those who fuelled the fear narrative partook in a psychological operation for political motive, as the UK's Rishi Sunak is now acknowledging:

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-leadership-candidate-sunak-attacks-covid-lockdown-response-2022-08-25/

Edited by rattlesnake

And more of the same from Johns Hopkins.... U.S. and U.K. toward the top of the world list of cumulative per capita COVID deaths among the most affected countries:

Mortality in the most affected countries

"For the twenty countries currently most affected by COVID-19 worldwide, the bars in the chart below show the number of deaths either per 100 confirmed cases (observed case-fatality ratio) or per 100,000 population. [cited in chart below"

625009051_PerCapitaCOVIDdeathsbycountry.jpg.2b5e29c2e464905fe151b323e43e6807.jpg

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

One might argue, based on the outcomes above, that at least some segments of the U.S. and U.K. populations could have benefited from a bit more well-placed fear.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And more of the same from Johns Hopkins.... U.S. and U.K. toward the top of the world list of cumulative per capita COVID deaths among the most affected countries:

Mortality in the most affected countries

"For the twenty countries currently most affected by COVID-19 worldwide, the bars in the chart below show the number of deaths either per 100 confirmed cases (observed case-fatality ratio) or per 100,000 population. [cited in chart below"

625009051_PerCapitaCOVIDdeathsbycountry.jpg.2b5e29c2e464905fe151b323e43e6807.jpg

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

One might argue, based on the outcomes above, that at least some segments of the U.S. and U.K. populations could have benefited from a bit more well-placed fear.

"At least some segments", yes. A large portion of the population suffered immensely from lockdowns and it's that "can't make an omelette without breaking eggs" approach which is now under scrutiny (and very rightly so).

Edited by rattlesnake
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, edogthong said:

Those of us who've been saying not to worry from the start and were told that we were crazy conspiracy theorists who should shut up and get vaccinated still haven't received our apologies. I'm talking to YOU, 95% of the members in here. It's time to own up to your mistakes. 

The original variant was much more dangerous though, plus there was no natural immunity, or vaccines. But yeah no worries now!

16 hours ago, webfact said:

Newer subvariants of COVID-19 continue to emerge as BA.5 remains the predominant strain in Thailand. Health authorities said the general public should not worry about the new subvariants, as they do not seem to be more virulent or transmissible than their predecessors.

From what I've witnessed they're not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

"At least some segments", yes. A large portion of the population suffered immensely from lockdowns and it's that "can't make an omelette without breaking eggs" approach which is now under scrutiny (and very rightly so).

Yes, after the event, ????..

In the early stages of C19 most countries took notice of their scientists, and rightly so...????

On 9/15/2022 at 5:04 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

Thais and no doubt people of other Asian nations will probably wear a mask until the day they die - and then in some cases it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the body is taken to the temple still masked up.

I can definitely see this happening, the chinese sets where you burn stuff now include paper masks. It's so comical.

• Haha 2

Never got vaxed, never even even had the sniffles. Probably been the best couple years where I never even got the flu (which happens from time to time).

55 and not in my prime, yet I survived without a mask.

=============

I noticed some things 20+ years ago about Thailand. Whenever Western governments do something, Thailand tries to follow suit. 

Just easy stuff. Shut-downs, buy submarines for the Gulf (that is only 200 feet deep), no smoking in bars (thanks Billary),

=============

Edit: Oh yeah, Hookers (I do love hookers :-) Bless their  illegal hearts!

Edited by jaywalker
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/15/2022 at 2:41 PM, NorthernRyland said:

I just got back to Maskland after being 2 months in Colorado USA where basically no one is wearing masks. It's like going back into a warp from March 2020 where we're frozen in time. I'd say maybe 1 out of 100 people don't have a mask on in Chiang Mai and even so it's probably just pulled down over their chin. These people have lost their minds. RIP.

It is bizarre. This is just speculation, but it seems that many Thai people feel important while wearing a uniform. Possibly to give them a feeling of importance? Or more respected? Maybe the mask wearing is a similar phenomenon?
I remember pre covid, where a lot of Asian people were already wearing masks, while the rest of the world wasn't.

4 hours ago, BadSpottedDog said:

It is bizarre. This is just speculation, but it seems that many Thai people feel important while wearing a uniform. Possibly to give them a feeling of importance? Or more respected? Maybe the mask wearing is a similar phenomenon?
I remember pre covid, where a lot of Asian people were already wearing masks, while the rest of the world wasn't.

Thais have an extraodrinary sense of togetherness, in many ways the collective being is above the individual, they are taught from birth that the country is more important than they are as persons (it's even in the national anthem).

They are also subservient to people in authority. So when there are pro-mask campaigns by politicians and doctors as was the case for a couple of years, it's no surprise that the compliance rate is 100%.

It's their Achilles heel as they don't have enough individuality to decide to take it off.

I underestimated this myself as I initially thought (2 months ago) that they would gradually come off, but I was wrong. The only Thais I see taking them off are women with farang partners, probably because it relieves them of any responsibility ("it's not me, it's my farang husband" as if being a "mia farang" exempted you of certain Thai cultural obligations – similar to the way it's OK them to wear a bikini at the pool rather than cover up their body.).

Seems like the only way out of it will be a reversed process where politicians and doctors say "take off your masks for the greater good of Thai society".

Edited by rattlesnake
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

It's their Achilles heel as they don't have enough individuality to decide to take it off.

I underestimated this myself as I initially thought (2 months ago) that they would gradually come off, but I was wrong.

The problem is that if you watch Thai TV, all of the news anchors wear masks, all the talk show hosts wear masks, everyone on TV wears masks except on the Thai soaps and movies - on the soaps and movies it's still 'old normal.'  The most ridiculous are those wearing plastic face shields with a gap a bird could fly through.  Yeah - that will stop those Covid viruses. 

My guess.  Thais will be dutifully wearing their masks just like their beloved TV celebs for months and months to come, if not years.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, BadSpottedDog said:

That is just a silly comment. 

Previously they wore masks if they had some cold or flu themselves to limit it's spread... a concept one might call consideration for others.... sadly lacking in many other countries where many had to die. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

Thais have an extraodrinary sense of togetherness, in many ways the collective being is above the individual, they are taught from birth that the country is more important than they are as persons (it's even in the national anthem).

They are also subservient to people in authority. So when there are pro-mask campaigns by politicians and doctors as was the case for a couple of years, it's no surprise that the compliance rate is 100%.

I underestimated this myself as I initially thought (2 months ago) that they would gradually come off, but I was wrong. The only Thais I see taking them off are women with farang partners, probably because it relieves them of any responsibility ("it's not me, it's my farang husband" as if being a "mia farang" exempted you of certain Thai cultural obligations – similar to the way it's OK them to wear a bikini at the pool rather than cover up their body.).

Seems like the only way out of it will be a reversed process where politicians and doctors say "take off your masks for the greater good of Thai society".

This is very sad and it's holding Thailand back immensely. Mass masking is becoming vanishingly  rare outside of China, South Korea and a couple of others. The pandemic is definitely ending, it is simply completely unnecessary to wear them as Thais are.

It will do Thailand a world of good to get rid of the masks. The direction needs to come from politicians, doctors and health authorities, the fear needs to end.

In the meantime, anyone can/should make the decision to just go out and about without a face covering, even if it feels a bit uncomfortable for now. Every mask less person helps this get back to where it needs to be.

15 minutes ago, anrcaccount said:

This is very sad and it's holding Thailand back immensely. Mass masking is becoming vanishingly  rare outside of China, South Korea and a couple of others. The pandemic is definitely ending, it is simply completely unnecessary to wear them as Thais are.

It will do Thailand a world of good to get rid of the masks. The direction needs to come from politicians, doctors and health authorities, the fear needs to end.

In the meantime, anyone can/should make the decision to just go out and about without a face covering, even if it feels a bit uncomfortable for now. Every mask less person helps this get back to where it needs to be.

It won’t happen.

If you think it will, then you know little about the Thai mentality. 

The mask has become their amulet.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

It won’t happen.

If you think it will, then you know little about the Thai mentality. 

The mask has become their amulet.

I'm hopeful and optimistic that it will. It's already very gradually reducing in the main centers, but yes still almost universal.

Outside of the main centers, a lot less masking, especially down in the south / islands.

Next month should signal further steps from  the health authorities towards 'endemic', along with that, time heals.