Thai Baht heads to near 37 Baht/US$, as BoT defends its use of $19 billion in defending the currency

webfact

Below article does a good job of explaining BOT's thinking on interest rates and currency valuation. They seem to be doing a juggling act between: (1) making sure capital outflows (due to low interest rates compared to US) don't start cascading; (2) keeping interest rates low to keep the economy's recovery on course, and (3) the need to raise interest rates in order to tackle inflation.

The reason why the baht is depreciating is almost entirely due to the growing interest rate differential between Thailand and the US. The US is aggressively raising rates while Thailand is totally dragging its feet. Obviously, tackling inflation is not the highest priority and I worry that the BOT may not be paying sufficient attention to this problem which is really hitting the lower classes hard. On the other hand it should be pointed out that the weakening baht provides a big boost to Thailand's important tourism sector.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/12/thailand-says-it-can-slow-rate-hikes-one-economist-says-its-a-gamble.html

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

Quite a confusing article. It is to be expected that international reserves are down. Thailand has been running a current account deficit since COVID and the BoT is hiking rates at a much slower rate than the Fed. In addition to the current account deficit there have been significant portfolio outflows putting further pressure on the capital account and international reserves. Probably the BoT has been intervening in the market to slow the rate of the baht's decline but that is part of their job to keep conditions as stable as possible. I don't see anything unusual here with the caveat that the BoT, I think reports only spot international reserves without netting off futures and forward positions, a standard they got from the Bank of England. This means that gains or losses in the futures and forwards markets are not reflected n the reported numbers. In 1997 I came from a meeting at the BoT where they told us reserves were still at around $30bn but it was suddenly revealed a few days later that netting off losses in the futures and forwards markets, the reserves were actually close to zero and the melt down commenced. 

We are not close to the 1997 situation at this point. 

I have read that the USA dollar bubble could be about to burst and their interest rates will rise again next week . The closely aligned Thai Baht has most of its foreign reserves in US dollar currency paper money . Commodities may have proved a safer option . 

6 hours ago, mania said:

In the form of more tourists whose dollar goes further

Thailand does not need more sex tourists or tourists in search of poverty stricken local girls for marriage in exchange for a marriage visa. No country on the earth has prospered with this model. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

They were propping up the Baht by exchanging USD for THB to assist in keeping the THB stifled, but it has not truly been working. One wonders where the USD to Thb would be if they had not played the shuffling game.....Lets see where the USD floats to as time goes on.

I have often wondered about this. If Thailand is buying the Baht to support the currency, where do they buy the Baht from? I find it hard to believe that there are billions of dollars worth of Baht floating around in the foreign exchange market.

8 minutes ago, loong said:

I have often wondered about this. If Thailand is buying the Baht to support the currency, where do they buy the Baht from? I find it hard to believe that there are billions of dollars worth of Baht floating around in the foreign exchange market.

The banks in the rest of the world have no direct association with the BOT, yet they have many baht on hand which they have taken in by exchanging into the various currencies of the world.  I wonder how much baht is in the Russian banking system...The BOT would be buying Baht as a speculatory instrument and would also be buying it from the local banks as well as banks on the international level

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Onerak said:

Thailand does not need more sex tourists or tourists in search of poverty stricken local girls for marriage in exchange for a marriage visa. No country on the earth has prospered with this model. 

Get your mind out of the gutter ???? None said we were talking about the 2 week millionaires. We were talking real tourists & more importantly real exports

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

No point in propping up the baht against the US $ at the moment. Sleepy Joe is spending money like crazy, making inflation go up and people put money in the US banks as the interests rates will rise to bring inflation down. Just wasting it, Dollar will be high for 18 months minimum with Joe and his hand in the cookie jar

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Considering how well many economies around the world have bounced back after covid, Thailand gets a failing grade in that regard. The level of mismanagement is astounding. Get rid of the dinosaurs, and let us usher in some talent and capable leadership. It is desperately needed at this time, and the Thai people need to muster up some conviction and passion for change. 

I thought most place were 'in a bit of a mess' with high inflation, rising energy costs (and shortages) and in the case of the UK, strikes galore. A lot  of countries may well be improving post Covid but it has been like dragging a rag through treacle and coming from a deep low..

Is Thailand really doing so bad?.... Sterling/USD is the lowest it has been since  1985, when The Miners were striking and Live Aid was needed to feed the starving in Ethiopia.

Edited by jacko45k
typo

On 9/16/2022 at 8:12 AM, webfact said:

As Thai Baht heads towards level not seen since late September 2006 questions are being asked whether the Bank of Thailand (BoT)’s statement that the 1.35 trillion Baht disappearance of the international reserves was just ‘revaluation’ of asset or has the central bank been actively propping the currency to keep it artificially stronger than it should be.

Manipulation is the name of the game.

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I thought most place were 'in a bit of a mess' with high inflation, rising energy costs (and shortages) and in the case of the UK, strikes galore. A lot  of countries may well be improving post Covid but it has been like dragging a rag through treacle and coming from a deep low..

Is Thailand really doing so bad?.... Sterling/USD is the lowest it has been since  1985, when The Miners were striking and Live Aid was needed to feed the starving in Ethiopia.

Yes. New car sales are next to nothing right now, according to a few showrooms I have spoken with, who were open enough to admit that. Condo sales are way down, foreign investment is likely way down, especially after the disastrous tax decision the court handed down against Toyota. Unemployment is way up here, and many tourism related businesses are struggling, as well as local businesses too. New developments are way down too. A son of a good friend, who works for a huge company in the US, that invests in projects all over the world, just decided at major meeting to stop all investments in Asia, except for Japan. Suicides and homelessness are also way up here.

Many of us are insulated from the suffering. But, it is rampant, and the damage the goons have done to the people and the economy is unforgivable. 

• Like 2

On 9/16/2022 at 9:21 AM, Onerak said:

Still waiting for the days when 40 BHT will be one USD as It was when I had to flee my nomadic living in Europe to Thailand. I have also witnessed the dark days when one US was mere 29 BHT. More importantly I am waiting for interest rate to go up so that I can borrow money from CC at 3-4% and earn in saving at 6% as I used to before the 2008 housing crash. 100K borrowed from CC at 3% used to net me 2,000 USD or 80,000 BHT at 40 BHT per USD with zero risk. 

What does CC mean?

18 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Many of us are insulated from the suffering. But, it is rampant, and the damage the goons have done to the people and the economy is unforgivable. 

Well mismanagement is certainly apparent but we have big expensive places opening in Pattaya......spending on many projects, and a racket on the beach every weekend. I took a look at buying a PCX and all dealers want to sell above RRP... perhaps due to wanting customers needing financing being preferred. New cars on show every weekend in Big-CX. Just not seeing that Thailand is doing that badly. 

31 minutes ago, Heng said:

It's wonderful periods such as these that makes 'not selling your home/condo(s)' back home a prudent decision.  It's a nice safety net and 'poor man's' forex hedge in rental income.   

Very True & in many ways useful as it most likely appreciated many times over what any Thai condo or home did.

Plus in an emergency it makes reintegrations that much easier as your not thrown into rental price shock

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I sold my house/land for a good profit in Khon Kaen. 

Yes it is possible & we also sold our CM condo in 2016 for near double what we paid in 2004 but...It was still beans compared to what our home in the West even just appreciated in the 7 years we were gone.

Also we could if we wanted to buy that CM condo back or one in same building for less than we sold. The opposite is true here

But we did keep our house in the Thai countryside & are anxious to return now that the covid nonsense is dying down. We do love Thailand ????

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well mismanagement is certainly apparent but we have big expensive places opening in Pattaya......spending on many projects, and a racket on the beach every weekend. I took a look at buying a PCX and all dealers want to sell above RRP... perhaps due to wanting customers needing financing being preferred. New cars on show every weekend in Big-CX. Just not seeing that Thailand is doing that badly. 

New bikes are very popular here, due to most people not being able to afford a car.