Do you believe in Magic and why

The folks in the OP video are simply bouncing on their bums, with a strong push from their, what looks like, amputated legs.

You mentioned TM. Well I didn't see The Beatles bouncing around in Bangor or Rishikesh.

Edited by KannikaP

21 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

The folks in the OP video are simply bouncing on their bums, with a strong push from their, what looks like, amputated legs.

You mentioned TM. Well I didn't see The Beatles bouncing around in Bangor or Rishikesh.

I think this great video was, actually, somewhat of a parody of the original TM movement, many decades ago. 

Be this as it may, the topic at hand is about belief in magic in the broader sense. 

Just as an example, Steve Jobs, so the story goes, believed that fruit, and not necessarily green apples, might cure pancreatic cancer. 

Magical thinking is all around us. 

Sometimes, people feel the need to believe. 

But, blind faith is always a killer. 

We humans tend to always see reality as we need it to be. 

Even Leon Festinger was subject to bias and magical thinking. Probably, he was not unaware of this. 

What about you? 

Edited by GammaGlobulin

6 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I think this great video was, actually, somewhat of a parody of the original TM movement, many decades ago. 

Be this as it may, the topic at hand is about belief in magic in the broader sense. 

Just as an example, Steve Jobs, so the story goes, believed that fruit, and not necessarily green apples, might cure pancreatic cancer. 

Even Leon Festinger was subject to bias and magical thinking. Probably, he was not unaware of this. 

What about you? 

I really liked Paul Daniels.  555

Everybody reading this!!!!!  Think of a number!!!!!  Think very, very hard!!!!  Between 1 and 2

Let me use my magical wizard skills.........umgmgmgugmmgmgmguggmgmggugmgmgmgm (chanting)

OK, you are thinking of the number........................................................1

follow me my followers...... 

13 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

What about you? 

Sorry: There is no evidence that Festinger ever engaged in Magical Thinking. Indeed, he probably never did. 

Magical Thinking has nothing to do with this Topic. 

And, Festinger was, and is, one of the true GIANTS walking among us who shed light on human behavior. 

Sorry to you, Festinger. 

You are one of the few social scientists deserving of great respect. 

Festinger deserves a place on Hollywood Boulevard for so many valid reasons. 

20 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Sorry: There is no evidence that Festinger ever engaged in Magical Thinking. Indeed, he probably never did. 

Magical Thinking has nothing to do with this Topic. 

And, Festinger was, and is, one of the true GIANTS walking among us who shed light on human behavior. 

Sorry to you, Festinger. 

You are one of the few social scientists deserving of great respect. 

Festinger deserves a place on Hollywood Boulevard for so many valid reasons. 

If he's so great, why do I know nothing about him?

• Like 1