Please suggest a self defence for my age?

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have a friend who was about 70 years old when he was randomly attacked by a drug addict on the street near Sukhumvit Soi 29 in Bangkok.

The drug addict obviously wanted money and he obviously wasn't thinking much. He just stabbed my friend many times with a knife. My friend doesn't look rich, he had no expensive clothes or anything like that, just an ordinary guy walking a kilometer back to his apartment at night.

Could he have done anything to prevent this happening once it started? I have my doubts.

After that, and maybe a week in ICU, he always took a taxi home at night - even for a few hundred meters. I guess that is the best anybody can do to prevent an attack.

Some things cant be prevented. This sounds like one of those things.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Why weapons were invented, and why I always have one.

Never needed ... but ... 

And what kind of weapon would you carry legally in Thailand if you are old and have to keep the distance from possibly young and fit attackers?

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

And what kind of weapon would you carry legally in Thailand if you are old and have to keep the distance from possibly young and fit attackers?

I carry a blade, on me, and larger one in the car, with more than a few at the house, reaching 'sword' status ... ????

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I carry a blade, on me, and larger one in the car, with more than a few at the house, reaching 'sword' status ... ????

Not sure its legal. Does owning a weapon not make you more careless. I mean going for defense instead of run ?

50 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not sure its legal. Does owning a weapon not make you more careless. I mean going for defense instead of run ?

One I carry on me, small, but very sharp.  Gets used quite a bit, when munching at food court, especially if I decide to make my own hoagie (sub sandwich), carry for that use mainly, but it is next to my wallet in my bag for very easy access.

I'm not running anywhere fast, and keep myself out of harm's way, as a bit too easy to do, with my lifestyle.  Even as youngin', full on idiot, I never needed a weapon (legal gun) in the USA. 

People need to stop reading the news, as it's getting safer & safer every year, per FBI stats.  Not what the divisive MSM wants you to think, or scare you into giving up your tax dollars to the corrupt.

One in car would probably be considered illegal ... think 'Bowie / Rambo' knife'.  Though has been spotted at traffic checks pts, and no eye brows raised.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Ok, and do you know how to handle that blade?

And would you suggest that our 62 year old member, who probably never fought with a knife, should learn how to fight with it?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, CharlieH said:

At 62 you got a much higher chance of a real serious problem by engaging, than by simply diffusing or removing yourself.

Dont ever let your ambitions over rule your capabilities ????????

Probably the most sensibe quote I've seen on this forum!

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Look the wrong way at them is all the excuse they need these days.

For the OP, judo, and avoidance is always the best policy if possible.

These were 3 young Maori guys drunk on a train   hit me with their shoulders for no reason walking past ..I didn't say anything to them but I need to br ready next time 

Edited by georgegeorgia

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have a friend who was about 70 years old when he was randomly attacked by a drug addict on the street near Sukhumvit Soi 29 in Bangkok.

The drug addict obviously wanted money and he obviously wasn't thinking much. He just stabbed my friend many times with a knife. My friend doesn't look rich, he had no expensive clothes or anything like that, just an ordinary guy walking a kilometer back to his apartment at night.

Could he have done anything to prevent this happening once it started? I have my doubts.

After that, and maybe a week in ICU, he always took a taxi home at night - even for a few hundred meters. I guess that is the best anybody can do to prevent an attack.

What time was it?

Keep a low profile, avoid confrontation, walk away. I don't carry more than one thousand baht at any time.

It is highly unlikely anyone will attack in broad daylight, I avoid going out at night unless absolutely necessary.

As a last resort against someone who was determined to attack me, I was taught by my jiu-jitsu instructor to ignore everything else, and attack the balls. AFAIK it's also the training given to staff in asylums to subdue male mental patients.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Pepper spray...

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Ok, and do you know how to handle that blade?

And would you suggest that our 62 year old member, who probably never fought with a knife, should learn how to fight with it?

This is a good point. Even though I grew up educated on how to use firearms, I never hoped I would have to use it, because usually the criminal has the upper hand and the element of surprise. When I lived in Chicago I had a concealed permit and carried EVERYWHERE I went. God forbid I would have ever had to use it, but at least I could have (maybe) had that option, if the need arose. Have you ever read the crime page of the Sun Times? I think not. I lived in the safest part of the city on Dearborn Street and there were 3 shootings in 2 months where two people were killed within one block of my home. If you lived in a place like that I think it would change your perspective considerably. I've always been aware of my surroundings avoided going out late at night and the wife and I walked a lot in that city. There were many times I encountered groups of a certain shifty-eyed demographic and was thankful I had my Glock with me. Luckily, I never had to use it, but I always made sure I gave serious eye contact with those types of people, so they would not size me up as a 'victim'.

28 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

2am is dangerous for a 70yo walking alone. Hope he is ok now.

Thanks. He is ok now - except that he is back in the UK. ???? 

I am sure he walked the same route roughly the same time many times. Normally no problem...