Rogue Thai police may have guns confiscated under new control measures being considered

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

How many times do Thai police actually need to use their guns in day to day life ? Why not lock them all up and release them when needed to proper action - same as the UK. 

For sure at new years as they shoot them in the air to celebrate.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

In the future, applicants for gun licenses may have to show a doctor’s certificate regarding their mental health before a permit is granted.

I can get a medical certificate after a blood pressure check for my driving license and costs 100 thb. What they need is psychiatric assessment.

Edited by Asquith Production
add text
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Well they could always just 'leave it like it is', plus cops and others selling guns to teenagers, that make you happy?

There is not already an existing law in place in regards to police selling guns to teenagers ?

Edited by Ralf001
  • Like 1

With all respect to GP's they are not equipped or trained to assess anything but the most glaringly obvious mental health conditions.

All police need to have psychologist delivered, periodic, random, psych tests, as well as station shift commanders need to make regular reports to regional and national commands of all their officers in conjunction with their psychological wellbeing not just other 'standard' policing performance indicators.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One immediate and no-cost initiative would be a 'no questions asked' amnesty period for people to hand in illegal / unwanted guns (e.g. formerly legally owned by a deceased relative, now sitting at home because no-one wants it or the hassle of trying to transfer ownership).

Edited by BKKBike09
sp.

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

How many times do Thai police actually need to use their guns in day to day life ? Why not lock them all up and release them when needed to proper action - same as the UK. 

Guns in the UK police are not locked up until needed, there are armed response units patrolling at all times.

• Like 2

If the Guns are not issued, then there is no need to confiscate them.

There is absolutely no need for a Serving Police Officer to either carry a Gun , or own a Private Weapon when they are not on Duty

All that is needed is for the Weapons to be signed in and out when an Officer does his Shift

Simple

Edited by Cake Monster
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Hows does a change in laws reduce gun number already out in the community ?

In my brief research.  In USA a ban was placed on high capacity clips and magazines.  Virginia State Police started seeing the new lower volume items at crime scenes and recovered from criminals after 9 months.  There was an increase to approximately 25% after 3 to 5 years.  

It can and will help, reduce the availability.  Hopefully reduce the severity of attacks.  Possibly allow some potential victims to run or only incur minor wounds.

There is a mental health problem for some in Thailand.  Like in USA it is a complex, time consuming and expensive issue to address.  

I am still very happy living in Thailand and want to see us continue to improve.

Rouge cops may get their guns confiscated? So typical of this place, an open ended statement which leaves room to avoid acting. 

As for needing a medical certificate, we all know how easily those would be obtained.

So in other words, another day another mentally fragile RTP officer off killing someone or robbing a gold shop because they are upset and confused about something.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Hows does a change in laws reduce gun number already out in the community ?

Silly question. Obviously needs laws which are designed to achieve that aim, throught: much more difficult to get a gun license, more stringent, continuously monitored activity, deeper investigation where guns have come from and appropriate legal action. Much better security of guns legally in the commmunity (incl., the military and police).

Possibly even a paid amnesty period where citizens are required to / paid to hand in weapons and a monitored immediate official activity to damage the weapon so it can't be used again.

Yeah I know, this is LOS.

Gotta do something...

Just now, scorecard said:

Silly question. Obviously needs laws which are designed to achieve that aim, throught: much more difficult to get a gun license, more stringent, continuously monitored activity, deeper investigation where guns have come from and appropriate legal action. Much better security of guns legally in the commmunity (incl., the military and police).

Possibly even a paid amnesty period where citizens are required to / paid to hand in weapons and a monitored immediate official activity to damage the weapon so it can't be used again.

Yeah I know, this is LOS.

Gotta do something...

history tells us laws in Thailand are largely ignored. Implementing new laws will command the same respect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

history tells us laws in Thailand are largely ignored. Implementing new laws will command the same respect.

Sure, I've worked her about 32 years, has PR for 25 years, seen numerous examples/scenarios which prove your point. 

Therefore until there's major changes in which party governs and hopefully that will mean major changes in many things including new and different approaches (with impact) which ensure law and order is totally effective nothing will change.

I'm not holding my breath either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Sure, I've worked her about 32 years, has PR for 25 years, seen numerous examples/scenarios which prove your point. 

Therefore until there's major changes in which party governs and hopefully that will mean major changes in many things including new and different approaches (with impact) which ensure law and order is totally effective nothing will change.

I'm not holding my breath either.

What major changes would change the mindset of those that ignore laws (including police and politicans) ?