Sedan crashes into rear of stationary truck in Chonburi, driver killed

snoop1130

1DCC5E60-BCF7-466D-A285-C5D93233FFB8-696x391.jpeg

PHOTO: ข่าวคนชล

A 40-year-old driver was killed instantly after his sedan rammed into the back of a stationary truck.

The fatal accident unfolded on a road leading to the Nong Yai subdistrict of Chonburi at 4 AM yesterday, October 11th. The collision involved a Mitsubishi Pajero sedan that crashed into the rear of a truck parked on the roadside and killed the Thai driver, Mr. Chaiya Kongkham, 40, on the spot, according to Baan Bueng rescue workers.

The victim’s body was entangled in the vehicle wreckage, sustaining head and arm injuries. His body was arduously removed from the car and transported to a nearby hospital by rescue services.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/10/12/sedan-crashes-into-rear-of-stationary-truck-in-chonburi-driver-killed/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-10-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Is it just me or are "stationary trucks" involved in a disproportionate amount of accidents ?

Issues with road lighting, truck lighting, stopping position and drunk drivers ?

Update : I think these guys on the right need some PR training, similar to the Police Media Officer involved in the mass shooting.....

Smiling.jpeg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Whether the lorry had parking lights on or not shouldn't really be an issue, should it. There are these things called headlights on vehicles, brilliantly designed for the purpose of being able to see what is ahead in the dark.

Well I think it is in reality.... 

If he had parked up where he should not have done, like in a lane of the motorway......( half a km from a lay bye. 

Reflectors, parking lights, best still  hazard warning lights all could have prevented the accident..... able to be seen from some distance. Headlights only illuminate so far........

I see the back of trucks often, sometimes no working lights, filth covered reflectors, and nothing to stop a vehicle going under the much higher truck.. Many a truck is parked up where it is dangerous. 

Driver poorness, speed, chemical impairment, lack of attention, distraction, and the other possible factors described by my learned experienced A.N, colleagues is all valid.

It wouldn't stop the sudden halting of momentum of the striking vehicle into the stationary vehicle but if the trucks in Thailand had anti-intrusion bars under the read of their trays and pantechs (like they do in Oz) then being crushed/decapitated by the tray of the truck would be almost impossible. Once they installed such bars on ALL Australian trucks of every wight category the incident of fatal rear-ending of trucks dropped dramatically.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rwill said:

Isn't a Pajero a SUV not a sedan.

Anyway it appears the Truck was parked on the shoulder of the road.  And there is more than 1 parked there.

Yes it is am SUV, quite a large vehicle. 

If this was Hwy 344 it is 3 lanes and no where to pull off the road. Ironically a quick look on Google Maps, and their pic has a truck parked at the edge of the road....eating his breakfast or taking a nap!

https://goo.gl/maps/sb7wTHbA8eWJDJmN9

It is exactly where there is a U-Turn making it even more of a danger!

Edited by jacko45k

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

If this was Hwy 344 it is 3 lanes and no where to pull off the road.

There no guard rails to be seen at the accident site.

Long stretches of 344 are divided 4 lane (2/2) but no guard rails to the left.

Only parts are lit up. One of them is the accident site.

Similar to here:

https://goo.gl/maps/ZSfNwwkecPf6MJVw8

Without knowing the exact site (only subdistrict) hard to tell.

The second picture in the report shows how much road space in one direction there is. No excuse to ram into a truck parked sharply to the left.

Microsleep is my guess.

Edited by KhunBENQ

18 hours ago, realfunster said:

Update : I think these guys on the right need some PR training, similar to the Police Media Officer involved in the mass shooting.....

What? Come on, as tragic as the massacre was, laughing has not been forbidden nationwide! Life has to go on.

They see death and destruction every day.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

A lot of these trucks have no reflectors or no working rear lights.

The other thing I often see which can contribute  to these type of accidents is the dark tinted windscreens. Add to  that the badly lit roads and or bad parking and it's not surprising  how often this happens.

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

The second picture in the report shows how much road space in one direction there is. No excuse to ram into a truck parked sharply to the left.

If there is no specific pull off or emergency lane, and the truck is stopped in the left lane, or partly in it.... truck very much at fault!

I have driven over half a million kilometers before I came here. In that time I only hit a parked truck once. That was in the middle of an unexpected snowstorm and I skidded on ice. What was more annoying then any thing was a pub a short distance ahead where I would have pulled in and stayed the night. Mind you that was over 50 years ago and I have driven on ice a few times over the years (not many) and never hit anything again.

I can't understand Thai drivers who manage to hit parked vehicles all the time.