Masseur pulled my muscle.

Padthaigoong

I had my first proper oil massage for three years yesterday , no funny business, I wanted a proper health massage.

So I am lying on the table and she starts to press down on my back with the flat of her hand as they do. This usually produces a few crackles as your joints feel the pressure and I am accustomed to that.

Then suddenly there was three loud pops and I jumped up in surprise and quite startled as I felt the pain.

This wasn't the usual small pops and crackles you get, it came from my pectoral muscle when she pressed down on that area from behind.

Afterwards  it ached just like a pulled muscle and that's exactly what I think it is but I would really like to know from anyone who has experienced the same thing or knows how and why this happens.

It did actually happen to me once before about 15 years ago and strangely I had previously experienced a discomfort in that pectoral muscle and that pop seemed to cure it as if some knot in the muscle is released.

After the feeling of the pulled muscle lasted for a few days and once that had gone it felt much better which is what I expect to happen this time.

I am interested to know if anyone else has experienced the same thing and what the mechanics of it are. Is it just a knotted area of muscle being forced to release by the pressure put on it. I must say it seems a good thing to release it if that is the case.

• Like 2

I get this regularly in my legs and shoulders from muscle release (though at a hospital).

From my understanding, the spasmed muscle is irritating or compressing a nerve which is making a particular area numb. Then, when you release the spasmed muscle, you can feel that area again and it happens to hurt.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wprime said:

I get this regularly in my legs and shoulders from muscle release (though at a hospital).

From my understanding, the spasmed muscle is irritating or compressing a nerve which is making a particular area numb. Then, when you release the spasmed muscle, you can feel that area again and it happens to hurt.

That seems to tally with what I have experienced.

Interesting that you had it treated in hospital is there a name for this condition ?

I suffer with a debilitating back problem and occassionally get a massage when muscles are tight. Last time I went the girl usually massages me wasnt available so another girl started & did similar to this applying a lot of pressure to a lower part of my back, afterwards I was in pain &  I could hardly walk for several days. They are not trained at all, they learn from others doing it like many who work in Thailand, no registered schooling/learning in their  trade is very common here which is why there are many problems in different fields of work, qualifications in Thailand are not required for many jobs

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Crazy going to these places. Mostly untrained and learned from the girl next to them. No contra-indications checked, and performing some pretty dangerous movements on some people.

No wonder people have been injured, some permanently.

Exactly, I am done with them.

Ended up with a cracked floating rib once.

Might as well let a buffalo trample on you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Crazy going to these places. Mostly untrained and learned from the girl next to them. No contra-indications checked, and performing some pretty dangerous movements on some people.

No wonder people have been injured, some permanently.

^^^THIS^^^

9 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Exactly, I am done with them.

Ended up with a cracked floating rib once.

Might as well let a buffalo trample on you.

I'll never forget, while in Hua Hin one of them got up and walked on my back.

I was lucky to get away with that one

Not a buffalo I hasten to add, the masseuse.

Edited by Padthaigoong
  • Haha 1

Very few of these ladies are properly trained and really know what they are doing - they can inflict some serious damage. They start off learning from an aunt and then maybe, after a few years, they become skilled through a process of trial and error.

I had an oil massage yesterday. The lady who usually works on me wasn't at the shop so another girl did it. To my surprise she was very good.

Generally its the older ones with 20 years experience that give a good massage. The younger cute ones are only qualified to pull one muscle ????

Edited by HauptmannUK
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Isn't an oil massage just a good rub down?  What dangerous moves do they perform?

Pressure directly over the spine as an example, the whole thing could have detrimental effect depending on the health and medication of the recipient.They NEVER ask or find out first.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Pressure directly over the spine as an example, the whole thing could have detrimental effect depending on the health and medication of the recipient.They NEVER ask or find out first.

The first thing she said when I yelped in pain was

" Why you not tell me ? "

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Isn't an oil massage just a good rub down?  What dangerous moves do they perform?

I'm glad you said that, an oil massage to me is just a pat on the hand. It's the tamest of any Thai massages and difficult to understand how anyone gets hurt during the course of one, unless they tripped whilst getting onto the table perhaps? Dunno.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Padthaigoong said:

experienced the same thing

I had someone do the walk on the back and it popped.

Totally painful but I recovered.

Now just foot and "Happy endings" from here on out! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Bit late AFTER the event and demonstrates the point perfectly.

Imagine if you had a nut allergy and she used almond oil !!! certain medications react badly with certain aromatherapy oils too. The list goes on. Dangerous in the wrong hands and no formal training. 

If you go to a cafe and order a dish that could have nuts in it and you fail to inform the waiter/waitress that you have a nut allergy whose fault is that? You cannot shift the blame for failing to inform the people of your medical condition

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

If you go to a cafe and order a dish that could have nuts in it and you fail to inform the waiter/waitress that you have a nut allergy whose fault is that? You cannot shift the blame for failing to inform the people of your medical condition

Ludicrous to attempt to compare the two.It is upto the Therapist to determine what or if any treatment is suitable,