For many, Thailand’s UN vote on Russia still a puzzle

webfact

On 10/17/2022 at 9:59 AM, arithai12 said:

I agree, but this is a US-Russia conflict. European states are mostly minions.

Exactly, I feel sorry for Ukraine and that annoying president they have. 

Biden is a criminal, like Bush before him, bring back Trump, not only was he  good for a laugh, he's got diplomacy skills and integrity old boy doesn't have. 

On 10/17/2022 at 7:25 AM, nobodysfriend said:

They do not want to lose the russian tourist's money .

This must be it, tourist? To most it is a question of right or wrong. So many women and children and old folks have died For what so Russia's can have more land? It is the largest country in the world already. When this is over there must be a world trial to make sure the guilty are punished.

On 10/17/2022 at 1:30 PM, ThailandRyan said:

US Proxy war...really? So Putin just rolls on I  takes the Ukraine...what next  Poland, Tajikistan.......any bordering countries it wants?

After the present Russian military debacle in Ukraine are you seriously trying to use that what if tactic?

LOL.

40 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

This must be it, tourist? To most it is a question of right or wrong. So many women and children and old folks have died For what so Russia's can have more land? It is the largest country in the world already. When this is over there must be a world trial to make sure the guilty are punished.

While you may be correct, you don't present a winning argument as to why Thailand should support the west in Ukraine.

Of what benefit would it be to Thailand to do so?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While you may be correct, you don't present a winning argument as to why Thailand should support the west in Ukraine.

Of what benefit would it be to Thailand to do so?

Thailand is playing both sides of the fence, thinking it would be the best way to go but in the end there can only be 2 losers in this war, and Russia with egg on it's face.

6 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Thailand is playing both sides of the fence, thinking it would be the best way to go but in the end there can only be 2 losers in this war, and Russia with egg on it's face.

Wrong side of history but the world will hardly notice.

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I was sitting watching TV with one of my previous Thai ladies and happened to comment on a plane crash where many people were killed. 

Her response ......... "why would I care about them dying?, were any of them my family?, Were they Thai?, did I know any of them?, would any of them have given me money?

From what I've seen only white folk profess to care about foreign strangers dying.

I've got to admit, I've never met any East Europeans I liked, I have no interest in their wars.

I was in a bar in Soi Yamoto Pattaya, the day 9/11 happened.

All people in the bar were watching what was going on.

The landlady, walked over and turned the Tv off,  stating,  it was boring.

Amazing Thailand.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I was sitting watching TV with one of my previous Thai ladies and happened to comment on a plane crash where many people were killed. 

Her response ......... "why would I care about them dying?, were any of them my family?, Were they Thai?, did I know any of them?, would any of them have given me money?

From what I've seen only white folk profess to care about foreign strangers dying.

I've got to admit, I've never met any East Europeans I liked, I have no interest in their wars.

Very sad but true, money always comes into it.

The longer Ukraine does not surrender unconditionally, the smaller it will end up, simple as that. Four new territories are now part of Russia, added to the Constitution. This CANNOT be reversed.

It is actually so crazy to watch how many people believe that Ukraine which is several times smaller than Russia can somehow win. In their wet dreams only. Russia has the resources to fight indefinitely long. Russia is starting serious action only now having given up all hope for negotiations. Which means only one thing, Ukraine will keep shrinking.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AnotherFarang8 said:

The longer Ukraine does not surrender unconditionally, the smaller it will end up, simple as that. Four new territories are now part of Russia, added to the Constitution. This CANNOT be reversed.

It is actually so crazy to watch how many people believe that Ukraine which is several times smaller than Russia can somehow win. In their wet dreams only. Russia has the resources to fight indefinitely long. Russia is starting serious action only now having given up all hope for negotiations. Which means only one thing, Ukraine will keep shrinking.

Not a lot of good annexing 4 territories in a scam referendum when you get pushed out FOREVER.

I see the Russian Embassy in Poland has just been annexed.....lol

Annexations are in this season," the organisers said in a statement, referring to Moscow's recent claim to have annexed four Ukrainian regions following referendums dismissed as a "sham" by the West.

"We decided to go down that road and organise a referendum on the annexation of the Russian embassy... in Warsaw." The queue to cast a vote extended down the street housing the palatial Russian embassy, in front of which the ballot box had been placed.

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20221015-polish-ngos-stage-mock-vote-on-annexing-russian-embassy

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If you would be watching TV with one of your previous ladies (not Thai, if any) and happened to comment on a war where many people were killed - people of her nationality and much more of other nationalities? 

Wandering what her answers would be, if any... (and yours either?)

BTW, in what nationalities' war(s) do you have an interest?  (just curious...)

2 hours ago, Saanim said:

BTW, in what nationalities' war(s) do you have an interest?  (just curious...)

I agree with the Thai lady.

If they aren't my family, my friends, and aren't likely to give me money, I don't care if they live or die.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, bradiston said:

You're not the first to advocate Ukrainian surrender. Mostly it comes from people who won't fight for what they believe in. Or they side unquestioningly with Putin. Would you fight to defend your country, wherever it is? Or would you just give up? Here, take what you want.

Most people won't fight for something they don't believe in, and not everyone believes in the west's participation in this conflict. Nothing to do with siding with Putin.

Of course I'd fight for my country ( I was in the military ), but I've seen nothing to convince me that participation in the Ukraine war is anything to do with us. Russia isn't threatening to take us over.

Interesting would be to know how the high diplomats - when in NYC - will cast their vote, thus expressing the will of their own people at the other side of the world.

E.g. how the Thai minister knows what his people (e.g. in Isaan) feel about the Ukraine conflict? Obviously, they (his people) could not care less, could they? So, his vote was not so bad, expressing the feeling of his people who he represents. (not the feeling of the many enraged expats residing peacefully in his country). 

In other cases, some just cast the vote as they feel it, under the "discussions" with other colleagues and friends, being in NYC, very far from their own people.

However, not everywhere his people are happy with his vote.  Somewhere he gets sacked once he gets back to his people.

Madagascar minister fired for voting against Russia's Ukraine annexation

https://www.reuters.com/world/madagascar-minister-fired-voting-against-russias-ukraine-annexation-2022-10-19/x

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Most people won't fight for something they don't believe in, and not everyone believes in the west's participation in this conflict. Nothing to do with siding with Putin.

Of course I'd fight for my country ( I was in the military ), but I've seen nothing to convince me that participation in the Ukraine war is anything to do with us. Russia isn't threatening to take us over.

My reply was to someone urging Ukraine to unconditionally surrender. I asked him if that is what he would do in similar circumstances. That's all. Nothing to do with "our" participation, assuming we are from the same country, or continent even.