Road leading to Patong Hill starts to collapse after landslide

webfact

image.jpeg

By Goongnang Suksawat

Patong – A road leading to the Patong Hill in Phuket has started to collapse after a landslide.

Motorists who are heading from Kathu to the Patong Hill reported the damage at 3:30 P.M. this afternoon (October 19th). On one side of the road, the land started to slide which has brought down the road side surface and the guard rail.

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2022/10/19/road-leading-to-patong-hill-starts-to-collapse-after-landslide/

The-Phuket-Express-Logo-Small-300x121.png
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2022-10-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I was in the queue of traffic snaking back from this event into Patong along with a friend, so we decided to turn round and go south, in an effort to get to Wine Pro at/about Chalong!

It all turned to custard from thereon in because traffic again came to a standstill at the Chalong underpass roundabout where it was backed up, so we took another road in an effort to get somewhere near our destination and that quickly backed up as the road was flooded – – and how, with people wading almost up to their waist at one point.

The police had blocked that off and directed us through a back road, and we had no idea where it would come out but we had no option but to follow it, and after struggling through some very narrow and partly flooded back roads we came out to Chao Fah Road, only a few kilometres from the Wine Pro store, which was fortuitous to say the least.

However that was not the last of our problems as after stopping off at Starbucks at Central, we headed back into Patong, having no idea that the road had collapsed, but we were stopped from turning onto the road at the traffic lights at Kathu, so despite the traffic being nose to tail for many kilometres we headed up into Kathu in order to find the back road past the BI School and out onto the airport road.

As luck would have it we found a shortcut and ended up just south of the heroine's monument, so then headed south trying to find a way back into Patong via Kamala, but floods abounded and traffic backed up for many kilometres again, only to find that there had been a couple of big landslides in Kamala and huge boulders about the size of trucks had cascaded down with the mud and onto the road, thereby stopping traffic from passing.

Eventually we did get past that only to come across a huge flood near the Phuket Fantasea theme Park which we successfully navigated after about 35 minutes in nose to tail traffic, and with the little Suzuki Swift gingerly being steered to the shallowest parts of the water and luckily it didn't come to a standstill.

Eventually we got back into Patong at almost exactly 5 hours after starting off our journey for a few bottles of wine – – but at least we got them in the end!

Torrential rain, huge floods, nose to tail traffic, landslips and many roads blocked made for an interesting afternoon. As I said, the little Suzuki managed it well, and I enjoyed a few glasses of wine last night, knowing full well that I had managed to stock up my wine fridge, and that I wouldn't be using the Patong hill route for quite some time to come.

As a footnote, the torrential rain that we had was unusual in the amount which fell, however the whole flooding and landslides situation was not helped by the poor planning, poor workmanship and lack of "working" infrastructure in and around Patong and Phuket, and sadly this has been the case for many years and has not improved.

Torrential rains more or less all day yesterday (Wednesday) so not surprised at all the flooding. The roads going out though is going to be a major headache for those living in affected areas. So far this morning, only scattered showers and little rain overnight, however, forecast is for more rain for a few more days. Apparently we've had double the amount of rain so far this month than a "normal" October. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, mackayae said:

In the early '80s, it was dirt roads from Patong to Kamala and Karon. During the rainy season it was not unusual to have mudslides on those roads. I guess 40 years later not much has changed except the roads are paved.

Sure, and in that time many interesting lessons have been learned, world wide, how to successfully design roads that stand up in such circumstances.

Time stands still!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Motorists who are heading from Kathu to the Patong Hill reported the damage at 3:30 P.M. this afternoon (October 19th). On one side of the road, the land started to slide which has brought down the road side surface and the guard rail.

Looks expensive.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, mackayae said:

In the early '80s, it was dirt roads from Patong to Kamala and Karon. During the rainy season it was not unusual to have mudslides on those roads. I guess 40 years later not much has changed except the roads are paved.

I remember that well. Trouble is, they paved the roads on a foundation of ............   answers on a postcard please. ????

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Rhys said:

What is the update on this road now?

I would say that the post from @London Lowf wouldn't be far off the mark, because that is one hell of a landslip and although I'm not a structural engineer I would say there is some mighty big work to be done there, because the hill/dirt supporting the road has to be rebuilt and I would think that they would have to put some huge concrete piles in to even start that process.

I had an inkling something wasn't right when they were covering the hill on the other side of the road with concrete and putting in a small gully, which was far too small in my opinion, on the side of the road to catch the water.

Unfortunately it would appear that this concreting of the hill resulted in water cascading down it and into the small gully, and under the road, thereby washing away the foundation. The effect this had can be seen from the pictures.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, xylophone said:

I would say that the post from @London Lowf wouldn't be far off the mark, because that is one hell of a landslip and although I'm not a structural engineer I would say there is some mighty big work to be done there, because the hill/dirt supporting the road has to be rebuilt and I would think that they would have to put some huge concrete piles in to even start that process.

I had an inkling something wasn't right when they were covering the hill on the other side of the road with concrete and putting in a small gully, which was far too small in my opinion, on the side of the road to catch the water.

Unfortunately it would appear that this concreting of the hill resulted in water cascading down it and into the small gully, and under the road, thereby washing away the foundation. The effect this had can be seen from the pictures.

Xylo one lane going from patong to kathu is open again for cars. Both directions for motorbikes open. Passed it before. All good. Saves alot time and hassle.

Screenshot_20221104-170910_Gallery.jpg

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, schlog said:

Xylo one lane going from patong to kathu is open again for cars. Both directions for motorbikes open. Passed it before. All good. Saves alot time and hassle.

Screenshot_20221104-170910_Gallery.jpg

Thanks for the update @schlog and I might have to give that a try over the next couple of days.

I still think it will be many months before it is fully "up to speed again" and I also think that they will have to do something about the rain/water run-off from the side of the hill over which they have spread a concrete layer – – nevertheless good news and thank you again.

And for your trouble I can highly recommend a great wine from Wine Pro......Camasello (Puglia) Rosso Appasimento 2020; at around 800 baht with tax, it is magnifico!!!

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, xylophone said:

And for your trouble I can highly recommend a great wine from Wine Pro......Camasello (Puglia) Rosso Appasimento 2020; at around 800 baht with tax, it is magnifico!!!

Thanks Xylo. Sounds good. In 2 weeks i'm back and ready to stock up at wine pro.????????

I put far too much trust in Google!

The part-opening is good news as it will make my northbound beach jaunts a little easier - they haven't been too bad on the scooter but in a car they would be a real PITA.

Also, when I pop home for Xmas I was planning to do an overnight at Nai Yang as the trip from Kamala to the airport in the morning rush would be far too stressful - I'm a terrible worrier.

16 hours ago, schlog said:

Thanks Xylo. Sounds good. In 2 weeks i'm back and ready to stock up at wine pro.????????

No problem Schlog and as we have discussed what type of wine you like, in the past, I'm sure you will like my recommendation – – so let me know what you think of it when you stock up.

Have a good trip.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 10:41 AM, Digitalbanana said:

I think the frost two lines didn't need question marks to be grammatically correct.

Oh, the irony! I assume you meant "I think that the first two lines.....".

In speech, the way your voice rises at the end of the sentence usually makes it clear that you’re asking a question and not just making a statement. But in writing, you need a question mark to signal to readers that they should read the sentence as a question.

Looking at the original photo I would think that the drainage gully at the top would need to be at least 1.5 metre square, with 1 metre drainage pipes every 15 to 20 metres apart and running the whole length plus of the slope, and the pipes need to go in first before any piling.  

As for the piling and filling, I have no idea other than it will be huge and very expensive IF it is done correctly. However TIT.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2022 at 6:57 PM, London Lowf said:

I put far too much trust in Google!

The part-opening is good news as it will make my northbound beach jaunts a little easier - they haven't been too bad on the scooter but in a car they would be a real PITA.

Also, when I pop home for Xmas I was planning to do an overnight at Nai Yang as the trip from Kamala to the airport in the morning rush would be far too stressful - I'm a terrible worrier.

Did it on Smartbus Friday.. 100bht.on time.no stress.hr n a bit.

15 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Did it on Smartbus Friday.. 100bht.on time.no stress.hr n a bit.

Thanks for the feedback and another question please, approximately how long did it take to get over the hill itself/how long were you waiting in a queue or similar?

Contemplating going over tomorrow in my little Suzuki Swift, but not sure that I want to wait an hour in a queue??

Thanks in anticipation.

15 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Thanks for the feedback and another question please, approximately how long did it take to get over the hill itself/how long were you waiting in a queue or similar?

Contemplating going over tomorrow in my little Suzuki Swift, but not sure that I want to wait an hour in a queue??

Thanks in anticipation.

Xylo.. Smartbus to airport doesn, t go that route.coming back to Patong tho think it does.Cheers

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Thanks in anticipation.

Xylo on friday at 4.15pm there was no queue. Passed patong hill in 2 min. Very little traffic. 

If you will pass in morning/day time i see no problem. Around 5-6pm traffic will increase.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, xylophone said:

my little Suzuki Swift

The trusty Suzi still going strong I see!

To the topic under discussion and my own 2 Baht as an Engineer:

The soil is mainly a sandy loam (sand & clay) with free drainage characteristics. From the photos shown so far, the removal of the road appears to show shear failure of the road metal where the movement of the underlying soil tends to slide due to the overbearing pressure/loading on the soil. The friction of the road foundation is unable to resist the shear force of the moving soil and fails. The movement does not ‘wash away’ foundations but alters the way one structure movement affects another structure (soil friction/angle.) 

If, after some deliberation and cost analysis, the road is to be retained, the stabilization of the existing soil would be a priority before any works are undertaken. The use of piling/other systems would incur, due to the soil type, to be of some considerable depth for an effective retaining structure.

Long term, the slope in this location will continue to fail due to several factors; the removal of trees etc. and the current road alignment abandoned and a new road alignment built. The soil report, post failure, and its’ recommendations should reveal the mystery…

• Thanks 1