Fake Gillette razor blades SCAM on most online stores Now! !@#$%

WaveHunter

29 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Hahaha!  That's the same conclusion I just came to after doing a bit of online research.  My dad also used a safety razor but I remember that little styptic pencil he had to use afterwards for the cuts LOL

My online research convinced me that safety razor design, and blade design has come a long way since then.  Read what I just recently posted about Feather and Merkur.  I just placed my order and am done forever with cartridge razors (I hope) ????

Once you get down the technique (though some are just born klutzes, can't do it), you very rarely if ever cut yourself. I might once every 3 years, and only when I get into a big rush to be somewhere and get really careless.

Our forum members have no knowledge on the subject, and some will of course act like idiots whenever the classic method's mentioned. In fact, in the last 15 years or so, there's been a big explosion of interest and countless new products brought to market, some unbelievably high end. I've been reading the wetshaving forums for years.

Speaking of which, you might take a look at this subreddit:

https://reddit.com/r/wicked_edge/

Very, very active, lots of experiences, questions, products, photos, and shaves of the day. You won't believe how much some hobbyists are into it. Some real experts posting, as you often find them on reddit. Easy signup, easy login. I've posted quite a few times there myself. Makes such a big difference, a forum where people actually share your interests and know what you're talking about.

Edited by BigStar

10 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

That's one reason I buy more and more on AliExpress...because they do both of these things far better than Lazada, making a purchase decision easy and quick.

Good point. The Russians, especially, pull no punches in their reviews. I'm expecting some more items to arrive in a week or two. 

29 minutes ago, userabcd said:

I always bought the Bic twin blade razors and mostly Gilette twin blade cartridges in the B&M store, never had a problem with those.

Tried the own brand razors from lotus, big C watson and boots and had to throw them all away, they were useless for a first shave.

Same with mr DIY razor blades can't even manage a proper 1st shave with the twin blades and threw them out.

I have changed from Mach 3 to their twin blade and get a better shave . I believe it's due to the increased distance between the blades (no clogging) making them last longer as well and cheaper .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

I use the Watson Pharmacy 5 blade cartridge and buy them in bulk when they are on sale, much better value than the Gillette and they last well.

I found the blades remain much sharper for longer by using a proper shaving cream.

That's interesting. I ran out of my stash of Gillette Fusion Power 5 blades and tried the Watsons 5 no power. The Watsons blades literally don't cut it for me!

Lazada Used to be pretty good the last two or three times I ordered things through them they were totally misleading they would show you a picture and then when you receive the item it was nothing like what the picture showed two days ago I ordered something from them and that will be the last time I ever use them they have become the online fake advertising online store TIT

I buy vitamins from time to time on shopee, I did wonder if they could be fake goods from China (a scarey thought). I remember seeing a documentary years ago about how every conceivable type of product can be counterfeited even eggs! It was actually cheaper to produce fake eggs and so thats what they did. Crazy!

Never understand this problem. Complaining over that so much is fake online. Okay, no problem. Go and promote the local shops instead. Pretty sure there will be some higher end stores that keep the real thing. But, I guess it´s just a matter of the price. Hell Yeah! If you go look after the cheapest possible option, then they will screw you up!

19 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Well atleast with Big C youd have less hassle if they not what they claim annd you can inspect BEFORE parting with any money.

There are options; the disposable blue shavers (2 in a pack) from 7/11 (have their own brand name, they don't use the Gillette name), handle a little shorter than Gillette/BIC etc., but that's not a problem. The design is not attempting to copy Gillette.

Work out at 20Baht for 1 razor, excellent shave, about 10 shaves per shaver. Been using them for about 5 years. Most but not all 7/11 stores have them. Worth a try.

For real Gillette, if you visit Malaysia, Singapore, China and even Australia you'll find real Gillette shavers (all models) are 40 to 50% cheaper than in Thailand 

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed....  it makes shopping online a headache.... 

We have to be so very careful and pay attention to the most minute of details....  the customer has protection, but its still a proper PITA having to deal with the issue that shouldn’t exist in the first place. 

I’ve purchased items, an obvious scam - forced the vendor (Amazon and Lazada) to refund for a fake items, but still see the shops online selling to more people. 

I guess there are just so many scammers out there its just too difficult to deal with them all. 

For things like razors etc I get directly from Boots / Watsons etc.

I have bought two Philip's electric shavers from Boots (different branches) over the past four years, and both lasted only about two months, yes they were cheap one's only costing under 500Bt. Although they kept going they just refused to shave.

Philips have always been a reliable make for me with any electrical things I have bought, so I have to assume that both these shavers have been copies of some sort.

4 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I use the Watson Pharmacy 5 blade cartridge and buy them in bulk when they are on sale, much better value than the Gillette and they last well.

I found the blades remain much sharper for longer by using a proper shaving cream.

and keep the blade immersed in a cup of vegetable oil as it is oxidation on the edge of the blade which blunts it.

I got scammed on the Gillette razor purchase from Lazada, too. Felt like shaving with a broken bottle, and I stopped immediately.???? Also got reamed on a pair of "Hush Puppy" shoes, which were just a pair of <deleted> loafers with "Hush Puppy" insoles.

Given up with Lazada and the likes, tbh, other than a source of cheapo spare parts. I'd rather buy from a walk-in shop.

How much of a closer shave (in micrometers) do these expensive, genuine or otherwise, Gillette blades give compared to a pack of three 3-bladed razors available from 7/11 for 25b?

Asking for a friend - who wants the answer in micrometers thanks, not personal opinions. 

10 minutes ago, Nemises said:

How much of a closer shave (in micrometers)

I think the question has to do with DURABILITY, not performance.

I buy car go fast fast....speed same same.....one car 100,000 baht, break one week.   fake car.  lol

It is a good feeling to have a razor that lasts.   Another reason my third ex-wife left me

fake, fake, cheap, cheap.....buy 10000000 razors same same good German steel!!!!  lol

17 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Amazon, if you really have to have them.....yet having something mailed 8000 miles is just wrong in my opinion.  Plenty of barbers in Pattaya will shave you, plenty of electric razors available so you don't have to use imported blades to keep your face smooth for the ladies. 

Even better - grow a beard!  saves a lot of time and energy  5555

Before beards became fashionable, along with moustaches, they were only grown mainly to hide very unattractive faces. In the past, when did you ever see any good looking male with facial hair, ie Elvis, Brad Pitt etc, etc.

17 hours ago, userabcd said:

I always bought the Bic twin blade razors and mostly Gilette twin blade cartridges in the B&M store, never had a problem with those.

Tried the own brand razors from lotus, big C watson and boots and had to throw them all away, they were useless for a first shave.

Same with mr DIY razor blades can't even manage a proper 1st shave with the twin blades and threw them out.

I bought an electric shaver for Mr DIY only a short time ago for less than 300Bt, it just would not shave at all, not even a hair.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I have bought two Philip's electric shavers from Boots (different branches) over the past four years, and both lasted only about two months, yes they were cheap one's only costing under 500Bt. Although they kept going they just refused to shave.

Philips have always been a reliable make for me with any electrical things I have bought, so I have to assume that both these shavers have been copies of some sort.

I bought a Philips one from the UK and it only lasted about a year. I expected much more. I stopped using mach 3 due to the price and fakes too. I then changed to a shavette, and then to a straight razor to stop with the waste of all those single use blades. I love my straight razors but you need time to shave and it's definitely not saved me money over the last few years. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Was in BIG C yesterday, a pack of 4 Gillette twin blade cartridges now 155 baht. They used to be near 100 baht a few months ago.

They mention 6 weeks shave on the packaging, but I have never been able to achieve that, much closer to 2 or 3 weeks.

Edited by userabcd

Modern multi-blade cartridge razors are real money-spinners for Gillette, but don't give any better shaves than the Fatboys, Slims and Superspeeds Gillette made in the 1950s and 1960s. 

A pack of Feather double-edge blades, which many believe to be the sharpest, are readily available here in Thailand for less than five baht each when bought in a box of 100. Other brands of blades, such as Dorco, can be had for less than half that. Very easy to get at least three shaves per blade and often five. I understand that Mach 3 blades cost more than 100 baht each. Do the math according to your having schedule and see how much money you can save by going back to DE razors. The savings quickly cover the cost to buy a high quality, modern DE razor.

Today's Gillette cartridges are a triumph of marketing and are great for Gillette shareholders. Less so in most cases for consumers.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, Iamfalang said:
1 hour ago, Nemises said:

How much of a closer shave (in micrometers)

I think the question has to do with DURABILITY, not performance

Yes, durability is critical for something that costs 8 baht from 7/11 ????