Where can I go to find myself

georgegeorgia

17 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I would get a 3 months visa and go to Nepal to walk the mountains. As mentioned in one post above, changing just the geography and keeping the same routine won't help you much "finding yourself". You may  need to experience something way more different than your previous highly structured life in a nanny state.

Walking the high mountains in Nepal will give you a whole new prospective of life. You'll see some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. You'll see some of the toughest places on earth to live, with some of the toughest people on earth living there happily in piece with themselves. At 5000m and above you'll find that a hot cup of tea tastes better than 25 years old single malt. You'll experience a lot of physical tiredness and cold.

Oh and by the way they have temples with the most incredible views, you can try to stay there and see what a proper tough life is.

I'm pretty sure after 3 months you'll depart from there much physically and mentally stronger, also knowing quite a bit more about yourself.

Good idea if fit. If someone is unfit they couldnt walk 2km uphill.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, connda said:

For once, why don't we all strive to have just a little respect for someone seriously reaching out?  Just saying.

Actually a great benefit that I can find in reading ASEAN Now is the fellows who provide a bad example.

The ones who allow me to say, "I don't want to act like them".

Wise asses, haters, nit-pickers, what have you.

A significant number of helpful people here but you can always count on the ones who aren't useless simply because they can serve as a bad example.

I recommend this place for you.

There are plenty of empty houses to choose from and the rent is very low.

Perhaps you can barter for dancing lessons.

It is plenty quit. There are only three other humans and one dog. Make sure you don't speak Russian. These guys will bore you to death if you do.

The variety of food (if any) is very limited so you will have the spiritual growth of avoiding swimming in sensation and gluttony.

There will be plenty of projects. 

Small scale agriculture, building a boat, trying to persuade the local officials to build a bridge.

If you make it out alive you will definitely know a lot more about yourself.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

Actually a great benefit that I can find in reading ASEAN Now is the fellows who provide a bad example.

The ones who allow me to say, "I don't want to act like them".

Wise asses, haters, nit-pickers, what have you.

A significant number of helpful people here but you can always count on the ones who aren't useless simply because they can serve as a bad example.

I take offence at that 

????

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I recommend this place for you.

There are plenty of empty houses to choose from and the rent is very low.

Perhaps you can barter for dancing lessons.

It is plenty quit. There are only three other humans and one dog. Make sure you don't speak Russian. These guys will bore you to death if you do.

The variety of food (if any) is very limited so you will have the spiritual growth of avoiding swimming in sensation and gluttony.

There will be plenty of projects. 

Small scale agriculture, building a boat, trying to persuade the local officials to build a bridge.

If you make it out alive you will definitely know a lot more about yourself.

He is looking for useful advice not parody.

• Thanks 1

You just need some quiet time to yourself, meet some interesting people and you'll find some purpose in life and understand yourself better, really can be anywhere, hope you find what you're looking for.

I spend a little over a year in Thailand, can't say I've succeeded in understanding myself completely yet but I have some better insights on life. Have to say as a person who lived in a big city my whole life, it was nice finding out theres a whole other world that exists out there, feels like living in a complete different planet. I am actually kind of thinking of visiting some other countries now.

Edited by dj230

7 hours ago, CharlieH said:

The problem is that wherever you go, there you are. Geography and isolation wont help and could make it worse.

If they are unsatisfied where they are, there's no harm in moving. You can't not act because something "may" be worse elsewhere.

The reality is they are not satisfied with the current situation, and the future is not told.

Not everything is just in our head, the outer circumstances effect us as well.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, gearbox said:

I would get a 3 months visa and go to Nepal to walk the mountains. As mentioned in one post above, changing just the geography and keeping the same routine won't help you much "finding yourself". You may  need to experience something way more different than your previous highly structured life in a nanny state.

Walking the high mountains in Nepal will give you a whole new prospective of life. You'll see some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. You'll see some of the toughest places on earth to live, with some of the toughest people on earth living there happily in piece with themselves. At 5000m and above you'll find that a hot cup of tea tastes better than 25 years old single malt. You'll experience a lot of physical tiredness and cold.

Oh and by the way they have temples with the most incredible views, you can try to stay there and see what a proper tough life is.

I'm pretty sure after 3 months you'll depart from there much physically and mentally stronger, also knowing quite a bit more about yourself.

The best drone pilot in Nepal - Enjoy!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

1, Read some great works of literature.

2, Put yourself in a very challenging and uncomfortable situation.

3, Help others.

In my opinion, while travelling and experiencing things can make you feel good, it is really only temporary.  It's also generally a pleasant experience and I'm not sure if you will really learn anything about life or yourself.  When your time is up and you return home, you might find yourself exactly where you were at the start, but with a few stories to tell.

Very wise words.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 2baht said:

If you are still looking after 62 years I'd say your chances are slim! 

Maybe he is looking again.

It's like when guys come to Thailand and find out what fun can be. And then they realize that they could have discovered that decades ago... 

• Like 1

You probably need a professional therapist.  A Thai monk is not a professional therapist, and being around a monk won't give you any sense of anything.  Also, find a small room and say nothing and do nothing for a week.  only rice and water.   common practice.     

Thailand is an escape, which is fine/good.  Can stay fit, think, live, survive, have fun, do nothing, explore, do more nothing, whatever...... but find yourself?   Maybe if you want to come out of the closet or something, then I understand.   Find yourself?  Peace, no, Thailand isn't some magic place where people find peace.   perspective?  yes.  seeing poor people can wake you up.

Now I'm engulfed by tons of SMOKE, dogs barking, ants in my bathroom and my gf wants more money.

Did I find myself?  Absolutely not.  Came here to f..................... off for years and that's what I did.  I did realize most foreigners are worse, so that's good.  they only talk about sex, money, complaining (like this post.  lol), and don't seem to care about their health or future.  lost.   

Thailand is awesome for like a few years......then COVID added a few more.   

If you have zero aspirations in your life, LOS for sure.   find yourself?  absolutely not the place.  you might lie to yourself the first weeks or months, that's fine....you are not finding yourself, you are simply avoiding and escaping the real problem.  nothing wrong with that.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Exactly. Some people have no respect for others that are struggling. Paul Green a successful league coach killed himself a few months ago. People need to reach out for help if needed.

If you google sat.22nd edition of courier mail.au good article about his wife and reason for suicide.

9 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Thankyou !????

Agree, go to forests/quiet ones, not touristy ones, it has just finished the Buddhist lent in Thailand (this is where the monks have to stay in the temple for 3 months). Good time to come to Thailand now, end of rain season. Good luck, wherever you decide to go

Edited by Expat68

45 minutes ago, Iamfalang said:

If you have zero aspirations in your life, LOS for sure.   find yourself?  absolutely not the place.  you might lie to yourself the first weeks or months, that's fine....you are not finding yourself, you are simply avoiding and escaping the real problem.  nothing wrong with that.  

Really?

I think a big part of finding yourself is getting away from life how it was/is until "now".

I.e. go from the city to the country or the other way around. From hot to cold climate or the other way around. And experience a different kind of life.

I.e. I came to Thailand mostly for the climate and all those pretty girls. But I also learned to live in the moment. I experienced that there are countries where people follow all the rules and other countries where they don't do that. And lots of other differences. And then it's up to each of us to find out after a while what we like. More order? Or less? Spontaneous live or a steady career, and and and.

Thailand is different from many other places in this word. And that makes it a good candidate to find new experiences and maybe find yourself - at least find part of yourself which you like, don't like, want to change, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Sleazy area isnt going to give peace.

That's just your opinion.

Ps Anyone that wants to take a year off work to find themselves, is obviously not getting any are they !!!!!!!.

Soi 6 would work  fine.

Edited by Orinoco

5 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

That's just your opinion.

Ps Anyone that wants to take a year off work to find themselves, is obviously not getting any are they !!!!!!!.

Soi 6 would work  fine.

Women all over Thailand. I dont see how one sleazy area is going to fix there mental approach to life. OP asked for a quiet place. They could find a woman in Chiang Rai or Ubon or Nakhon Phanom, somewhere peaceful like that.