Why are many visas based on age?

19 minutes ago, Myran said:

And why does the Non-O based on being married exclude people who aren't married? Don't immigration realize that being married is a state of mind? 

You can use Non-O for retirement not just being married.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, timoti said:

I didn't know this but investing half a million in the country breaks the deal. Some people prefer to stay liquid or have assets in stocks, crypto, etc.

If one wants to live somewhere why wouldn't they invest in some way or another

https://ltr.boi.go.th/index.html#what

• Thumbs Up 1

The elite visa is worth it if you know you will be in Thailand for most of the year. For people who only stay in Thailand around 6 months in a year it is not worth the money. Then if circumstances change in a year or 2 where you need to go back to your home country for various reasons then it becomes a waste of money.

So while I agree the visa is great for people who plan to stay the entire year there's really not very many good options for people who only stay 6 months per year. 

• Like 2

Where are all these many young people 30 and 40 years old that can retire, having such wealth they can financially sustain themselves for 40 subsequent years?  With that kind of wealth, they certainly are not retiring to Thailand!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I can drive safely most of the time, going 50 in a 35 - - but in my home country, they give you a hefty fine for doing it... 

That is just how it is - we understand and either abide or pay the fine...

What amuses me is when people come from other countries where they accept the laws and come here and have problem doing the same... why do people come to another country, another culture and question the laws? 

Because in Thailand there are 2 laws, one for the Thai, they can do whatever they want without being afraid of repercussion, if you are a farangs get your wallet ready.  I don't know how many times I went thru road blocks and they told me I was speeding, no radars of course, I gave them 200Bahts and they let me go.  How many Thais are driving under age, no permit.  One time the cop was giving a ticket to a farangs for not wearing a helmet on his motorbike, in the meantime, his body the cop was stopped at the red light, no helmet.  You wouldn't see that in my country or any civilized country.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

the Thai, they can do whatever they want

That is not even close to the truth... 

In CM [and other areas where there are nearly no farang] there are check points full of Thai being fined for not having helmets... 

Edited by 1FinickyOne
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Jerno said:

Where are all these many young people 30 and 40 years old that can retire, having such wealth they can financially sustain themselves for 40 subsequent years?  With that kind of wealth, they certainly are not retiring to Thailand!

I don't think that's any surprise.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, timoti said:

I didn't know this but investing half a million in the country breaks the deal. Some people prefer to stay liquid or have assets in stocks, crypto, etc.

Half a million what ? If half a million Thai baht that doesn't amount to much against most other currencies.

• Thumbs Up 1