Get tough RTP chief calls to ban Chinese drug taking tourists for life!

webfact

image.jpeg

Fallout from the raid in the Yannawa police jurisdiction in Bangkok that found 104 Chinese drug taking tourists - and opened several large cans of worms - continued in the Thai media.

Siam Rath reported that the Yannawa station chief had been ordered to report for paper shuffling at Met Region HQ 6 while an investigation into dereliction of duty takes its course.

As far as the Chinese tourists are concerned Gen Damrongsak Kittipraphat, RTP chief, said the force has the power to not only deport them but blacklist them for life.

Damrongsak said he had more tough measures to come under PM Prayuth Chan-ocha's crime drives. 

ASEAN NOW notes that Damrongsak may have a lot more on his plate than banning a few Chinese tourists.

Claims are whirling around the Thai media that the illegal business in Yannawa is the tip of a "Zero Dollar" iceberg.

Firebrand former MP Chuwit Kamolwisit has arranged a dossier of allegations for poster boy cop Big Joke to investigate; these center on allegations that state officials are being bribed to allow illegal tourism activities

Chuwit claimed that the Chinese could leave their drugs behind the counter for next time like people leave whisky at a club. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-10-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

43 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:
1 hour ago, webfact said:

Siam Rath reported that the Yannawa station chief had been ordered to report for paper shuffling at Met Region HQ 6 while an investigation into dereliction of duty takes its course

You couldn't make it up

You could make it up, and it was made up, the original article in Siam Rath did not report it as "he was ordered to report for paper shuffling".

Gen Damrongsak Kittipraphat, RTP chief, said the force has the power to not only deport them but blacklist them for life.

I wonder. Is the police here both investigators and judges in one person?

Normally, the police investigate and provide evidence, the prosecutor files charges, and a court decides the sentence.

The statement that the police alone can decide on a blacklisting sounds more than questionable.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Prayut wants Xi to come to APEC next month, yet in both Pattaya and now Bangkok the police are demonising the Chinese and stirring up anti-Chinese sentiment.

The police are tuned out politically and their motivation seems to be brown envelopes or the amounts inside them.

In Pattaya the mostly Thai clentele left the raided club without being drug tested. The club's Chinese owner is being demonised (maybe justifiably).

In Bangkok all the mostly Chinese clientele can't leave the building and all get drug tested.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Gen Damrongsak Kittipraphat, RTP chief, said the force has the power to not only deport them but blacklist them for life.

I wonder. Is the police here both investigators and judges in one person?

Normally, the police investigate and provide evidence, the prosecutor files charges, and a court decides the sentence.

The statement that the police alone can decide on a blacklisting sounds more than questionable.

Immigration are a branch of the RTP.

If the RTP chief tells RTP immigration officers to deport and blacklist certain non-Thais for certain behavior, then deport and blacklist them they can. 

39 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

Immigration are a branch of the RTP.

If the RTP chief tells RTP immigration officers to deport and blacklist certain non-Thais for certain behavior, then deport and blacklist them they can. 

That would then be legally on shaky ground. If a cop doesn't like your nose and can then deport and blacklist you without a court decision and court order, that would be the completion of an arbitrary police state.

A couple of things spring to mind about these " Tourists '

It was reported through another source, that a large number of Luxury Cars , including a Roller were seized during the Raid.

Where do these " Tourists " manage to rent such vehicles in Thailand.

And secondly

Why ban them ?, or Deport them ?

Do as they would do to a Thai being caught with Drugs or even a White Falang

Throw them in the Bangkok Hilton for a few Years.

16 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

That would then be legally on shaky ground. If a cop doesn't like your nose and can then deport and blacklist you without a court decision and court order, that would be the completion of an arbitrary police state.

You obviously don't understand.

Immigration are a branch of the royal Thai police. 

A regular 'cop' cannot deport or blacklist you. The immigration department, which is a department of the RTP, can.

38 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

You obviously don't understand.

Immigration are a branch of the royal Thai police. 

A regular 'cop' cannot deport or blacklist you. The immigration department, which is a department of the RTP, can.

I know the structures of the police apparatus. I doubt that even the immigration police have the right to expel someone and blacklist them for life without a court order if it's not a visa violation at the border.

What bothers me is that the chief of police is trumpeting his apparent power here, although it contradicts the usual legal procedure for drug offenses by foreigners. My wife's cosin is a well-known criminal attorney and has handled dozens of such drug cases.

That's why I'm surprised that, according to the police chief, now punishments without a court hearing for drug offenses should only be determined by the police. And that is wrong and dangerous  from my point of view.

Edited by tomacht8

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:
4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You could make it up, and it was made up, the original article in Siam Rath did not report it as "he was ordered to report for paper shuffling".

I can always rely on the ultimate apologist to defend the police here. I quoted what was there. You should learn to get over it.

I can always rely on you to not read what I wrote and then comment on a fallacy.  There was no defence of the police in my comment.   There was an observation on the very loose interpretation of the original article that did not mention paper shuffling at all.   You should learn to read what I actually wrote.

8 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

Bit of bad publicity aimed at the Chinese lately. Is it because their golden Egg has stopped laying so its time to moan about them for not coming to their rescue? oh they have a new goose from Malaysia so they don't need the yen.

the Thai will not stray too far from their Chinese masters. it's a temporary hiccup until the hoard returns then everything will be restored.

Edited by onthedarkside
trolling comment removed

10 hours ago, champers said:

Prayut wants Xi to come to APEC next month, yet in both Pattaya and now Bangkok the police are demonising the Chinese and stirring up anti-Chinese sentiment.

The police are tuned out politically and their motivation seems to be brown envelopes or the amounts inside them.

In Pattaya the mostly Thai clentele left the raided club without being drug tested. The club's Chinese owner is being demonised (maybe justifiably).

In Bangkok all the mostly Chinese clientele can't leave the building and all get drug tested.

No one is being demonized. There was clearly a grocery list of serious illegal activities going on. Certainly no Chinese official would tell them to go easy on the lot of them purely because the are Chinese. That's ridiculous. Serious laws were apparently broken. I doubt Xi would say anything but they should pay the price. Moreover, as the whole debacle was writ large it's possible the Chinese even take stock on their end. Sheeeesh ..