Thai teenager dressed up as “Jeffrey Dahmer” for Halloween harshly criticized on social media

snoop1130

I remember when Thailand had a Hitler fascination.

Even MC Donald had a "Ronald MC Hitler" outside the burger restaurants with the beard and hailing and hotels create Hitler hotels room.

They do not know history outside Thailand like I do not know all history in Asia.

Lucas 23:34

And the fun part is that Hitler would have killed or made all Thais slaves if he had won the war

Edited by BEngBKK

4 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

Should have dressed up as the thai guy that killed all those school children october 6th. Same same but different.  

Not the same at all. One was a mass murderer who shot a bunch of people at once and it was done the other was a horrific serial killer that stalked, murdered young men, dismembered their bodies, froze them and ate them.

How are the two even remotely the same?

12 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Like the show but I've been disagreeing with Bill Maher a bit lately. I agree with his overall sentiments on political correctness but I feel he is getting too cliched and even closed minded on some topics such as covid, the attitudes of young liberals and even this topic. He can sometimes use extreme examples to make fun of the left, and sometimes the right, that are not representative of their overall views. It's like the punchline is king. 

He gives obvious examples where costumes are of course fine.  Call me old fashioned, but I do not think it is cute, fun or ironic for kids to dress as an appalling serial killer or as Hitler. Not saying ban it but having a line in the sand is sensible and not being a wowser. 

I think Bill is having so much fun with his podcast that he's become bored with his show.  As someone who has been watching Real Time for a while I find his usual tropes to be boring.  When he mentions things like pot and Covid masks it's eye-roll time.  Maybe being around Ann Coulter is taking an effect.  Also it seems his show biz conceit is getting the better of him.  He might be the only person who has Piers Morgan on his show voluntarily.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bendejo said:

I think Bill is having so much fun with his podcast that he's become bored with his show.  As someone who has been watching Real Time for a while I find his usual tropes to be boring.  When he mentions things like pot and Covid masks it's eye-roll time.  Maybe being around Ann Coulter is taking an effect.  Also it seems his show biz conceit is getting the better of him.  He might be the only person who has Piers Morgan on his show voluntarily.

Watch his podcast in the "nightclub" on the grounds of his house and you'll get to know him a lot better. I think his show is more relevant than it's ever been because he's on a crusade to try to break the ice between the divides. It won't work but very few people are even trying.

2 hours ago, BonMot said:

Not the same at all. One was a mass murderer who shot a bunch of people at once and it was done the other was a horrific serial killer that stalked, murdered young men, dismembered their bodies, froze them and ate them.

How are the two even remotely the same?

Same.

Both are damaged individuals who did horrific crimes.

To make light of either is in poor taste. Halloween is originally about ghosts and goblins and letting loose, not heinous real crimes.

19 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Same.

Both are damaged individuals who did horrific crimes.

To make light of either is in poor taste. Halloween is originally about ghosts and goblins and letting loose, not heinous real crimes.

I think it's much more complex than that as far as what costumes really shouldn't be OK (there are very few).

Jack the Ripper is a Halloween classic.

Yes he lived a long time ago but he made an impression.

Dahmer is an iconic mass murderer with very bizarre and gruesome details. It's obvious to me Dahmer will become a classic like Jack the Ripper. Several tv shows have been made about him. He also has made an impression.

School shooters never will be. They just aren't very distinctive. They're ciphers. They're generic.  Seen one, seem them all. 

I am a little torn on Hitler costumes. I actually think Hitler costumes might be OK in Asia but not in the west. 

The reason history of course but also there are real Nazis and Neo Nazis everywhere in the west (and Russia) so dressing as one is basically not exactly a costume.

Edited by Jingthing

What does someone do when they do not have a life? They become a netizen who spends their days blaming, being outraged, being a victim, pointing out what they consider to be the mistakes of others, being highly critical, and taking no responsibility for their own lives. They can't. They are too busy focused on the life of others. They don't have a life. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Just another example of how Asians completely misunderstand Halloween. No, it's not "let's all dress in happy PC costumes" day, and it's certainly not "let's all dress as slutty as we can and take photos" day - though I have to say I approve of the latter, even if it isn't what Halloween is about. ????

And just what is the correct understanding of Halloween?