Political activist Srisuwan Janya to sue Thai government over allowing foreign land ownership

snoop1130

There's always one! Can't see the wood for the trees.

I don't see boat loads of foreigners making there way to Thailand to snap up a few square meters of land at exorbitant prices, with strict conditions.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, NemoH said:

Individuals married to Thais are and can buy land already.

I'm not sure that's exactly true. When I lived it Thailand I was told foreigners couldn't buy land. If you were married, she had to sign a paper stating you didn't give her money for the land.

• Thanks 1

I believe that up until the Land Code Act of 1954, foreigners could own freehold land in Thailand. Later a Treaty for foreigners to own land was terminated in 1970 and there is no current treaty in place to allow this. So foreigners owning land in Thailand is nothing new - it was allowed in the past. The land is still here and has not gone anywhere. If managed correctly and sensibly, land ownership by foreigners can be a tremendous boost for the economy over the long-term albeit an emotional one.

11 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

I don't disagree that the foreign land ownership laws need reform. On the other hand, completely opening the market will undoubtedly lead to  the kind of stratospheric property prices that you see in the west.  Rather than basing land ownership on investment amount, maybe the government should consider allowing it for farangs established in the kingdom -- with wives and children, for example.

Then they will say, let the wife and children buy it, because they are Thai. And if you're 'established' in the 'Kingdom', then just let the wife or kids buy. 

11 hours ago, ezzra said:

If he read the draconian condition under which a land can be sold to a foreigner he would be worried so much, having said that, how about barring all Thais from owning land in any country in the world, what would he say about that?...

This is a great idea. Any Thais that buy property abroad must renounce their Thai citizenship. They obviously are not true Thais if they're living abroad and putting their money into another country instead of into the 'Kingdom'. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Tomorrow, (November 3rd) Srisuwan is going to the Supreme Administrative Court to sue the cabinet for approval to allow foreigners to buy land in Thailand.

Land resources are national properties which are limited and unable to be increased. We must preserve the land for children, said Srisuwan.

He might be in for a shock... 

How does he feel about Thais and other Asians buying land in the west? I bet he'd be the first to cry "Western Xenophobia" if it was stopped.

Mind you, I can understand his fears in a way, I think the Chinese already own half the land in my area of Pattaya. 

Also, farang living here owning say half a rai would only use up a tiny portion of the total land area of this country.

• Like 1

Much has been made on this thread about the reciprocity of Thais being able to hold land and property abroad - especially in London - when UK people cannot do the same in Thailand.

There will, however, be some changes in the UK which will make it visible to see who and which Thais own property and land in the UK from early next year.

"On 15 March 2022, the Economic Crime (Transparency and Enforcement) Act 2022 received Royal Assent – the law became live on 1 August 2022. Overseas entities that already own UK property must register with Companies House by 31 January 2023.

In addition to changing the rules about sanctions and Unexplained Wealth Orders, the Act introduces a new legal requirement for overseas entities owning UK property to register at Companies House and provide details of their beneficial owners. The data must be verified by an agent regulated under the Money Laundering Regulations and criminal offences may be committed by those who fail to comply or who provide incorrect information. 

The register will be publicly available, and HMRC will be able to access additional information at Companies House."

Courtesy BDO

It will be interesting to see if any Thai publications will use this opportunity to detail the rich Thais owning property in the UK (freehold rather than leasehold to have a like-for-like comparison with Thailand laws on land ownership), and the value of those properties, especially where it may suggest unexplained wealth.

If no Thai publication dares to do this maybe just publicising individual glaring cases - such as a Thai lawmaker who votes against foreign ownership also owning property in the UK - could be put on a forum perhaps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think it's a good idea for Thailand to allow foreigners to buy land. I have seen in my own country, the UK, what happens when foreigners are given unrestricted access to land/house purchase. Prices go through the roof, and community spirit is destroyed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Land resources are national properties which are limited and unable to be increased. We must preserve the land for children,

This mindset in LoS will only change when Farangs think alike and apply reciprocity.

How many of these noise makers own properties in the west? inlcuding the one that was expelled from parliament for encroaching forest here..  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I agree. Rather than selling out their country, they should be doing more for future generations of Thais to have better opportunities to buy their own land, build their own houses.

Other than farming, most of my local economy consists of everyone setting up stalls or driving around carts, hoping to sell drinks or snacks to each other for 10 baht a pop. There needs to be other, more lucrative types of industry.

Join the Military?

There is right and wrong in this proposal! First of all there is a obligation of the Government to protect its citizen... having said that, let's go back in time:

"in 1995 plenty of condos been empty and the prices down; housing developments been just a few, and than hit the 1997 finance crisis, suddenly the condos could be sold due the great exchange rate and where continuing to do so for the next 2 years. After this the prices went up and up and up, that regular Thais been bot able to buy anymore."

This will happen now again...Maybe Thailand should look over to Malaysia which has a much more sensitive law of foreign landowner ship.

2 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

I don't think it's a good idea for Thailand to allow foreigners to buy land. I have seen in my own country, the UK, what happens when foreigners are given unrestricted access to land/house purchase. Prices go through the roof, and community spirit is destroyed.

The proposal in Thailand is extremely restricted to the point of it being pretty much an empty gesture. It is in no way comparable to what has been going on in the UK. Besides, at the moment, there's absolutely nothing stopping wealthy Thais from doing that exact thing to poor Thais which they absolutely are. Incidentally, it's only the wealthy Thais you hear complaining about this policy. 

Reciprocity of laws (obviously not all) for nationals of countries is something that should be employed in the West to enact change in such places like Thailand, and land ownership/property rights etc. are good examples of candidates for this.

As for the Thai guy in the article... complete tool.

Edited by Sir Dude
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Orinoco said:

I would like to see all Thai's in the Uk reporting every 90days to the Police headquarters  in the county they are Guests in. of course with multiple copies of there passport and uk passport if they have one. plus any other nonsense requested on the day. 

And no more land to be in any Thais name. also bring in the same level of restricted 

occupations of working as they do for us,  plus a few others just because we can.

That sounds about right for starters.

Anyone want to ad a few more.

Yes, a few.......................

Admission to any park or stately home, etc, to be charged 10 times more than locals

Dual pricing in hotels, and restaurants.

Cannot own a business unless 51% owned by a citizen of the country they are in.

I am sure there will be more additions soon...

• Thanks 1

There are some setbacks to allowing foreigners to buy land. First, China being very near and needing land to feed their hungry billions back home., Secondly, opening the door to all sorts of foreign criminals who can then live the life of Riley in the land of cheap smiles knowing that some welcome them.  Thirdly, places like Phuket, Samui, Pattaya, becoming half dead areas, not a light to be seen 7 months of the year.  I live in the South of France, nice beach town outside  Antibes  / Cannes.  Many wealthy foreigners have bought apartments there, all sizes from the small to the mega mansions with their yachts docked nearby. Problem is, they only come for a few months in summer , the rest of the year it’s a blackout , not a light to be seen. Certainly it brings in a huge amount of local taxes,  work for housekeepers, gardeners, cooks, chauffeurs etc , it also leads me, and a lot of other people who don’t have kids, to flee the place come October as it’s as dead as a dodo. Practically everything closes down. From day 1, bored to tears , I moved to a Thailand /Bali/ S.America rented 2nd home until life came back to the place end of March . This system manages to work in an area that is relatively wealthy, but I doubt very much it would help the common people of Thailand. I do agree that a foreigner should be able to buy a house with his Thai wife under the condition that it belongs to both of them, and not only the wife , and sale money split if divorced. 

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.

55 minutes ago, geisha said:

There are some setbacks to allowing foreigners to buy land. First, China being very near and needing land to feed their hungry billions back home., Secondly, opening the door to all sorts of foreign criminals who can then live the life of Riley in the land of cheap smiles knowing that some welcome them.  Thirdly, places like Phuket, Samui, Pattaya, becoming half dead areas, not a light to be seen 7 months of the year.  I live in the South of France, nice beach town outside  Antibes  / Cannes.  Many wealthy foreigners have bought apartments there, all sizes from the small to the mega mansions with their yachts docked nearby. Problem is, they only come for a few months in summer , the rest of the year it’s a blackout , not a light to be seen. Certainly it brings in a huge amount of local taxes,  work for housekeepers, gardeners, cooks, chauffeurs etc , it also leads me, and a lot of other people who don’t have kids, to flee the place come October as it’s as dead as a dodo. Practically everything closes down. From day 1, bored to tears , I moved to a Thailand /Bali/ S.America rented 2nd home until life came back to the place end of March . This system manages to work in an area that is relatively wealthy, but I doubt very much it would help the common people of Thailand. I do agree that a foreigner should be able to buy a house with his Thai wife under the condition that it belongs to both of them, and not only the wife , and sale money split if divorced. 

There's a difference between owning a house and owning the soil that it was built on in Thailand. And that's correct. Because Thai soil is unextendable. 

• Like 1