Unfair criticism of Thailand’s immigration is unacceptable although other functions at airports could be improved upon

webfact

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But how many passengers and how many desks were open?

He flew to Phuket and DMK from his previous posts, so his comments are benign as far as the OP is concerned and he continues to deflect without admitting his comments are not on Topic but skewed towards other areas and now he claims he is flying cheaper airlines and not the Big Players.  

I just had a friend fly in on an American Airlines flight on Tuesday night, he and his wife arrived at 11:25 pm and I picked them up on the lower level after it took them about 45 minutes to negotiate Immigration and then another 30 minutes to pick up their bags and then walk out to the parking garage where I was waiting.  He indicated that around 3/4 of all the desks were staffed and there were just a few hundred people in line. My Friends wife says that this was the quickest they have made it through Suvarnabhumi since they last visited prior to covid.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, oznomad said:

Lines pretty much anywhere are a result of poor management, poor planning, or laziness.

Very true of course and on the opposite side of the picture you can arrive at many very busy  international airports where, every time, you join a line which seems increadably long but within maybe 10 minutes your through and your luggage is on the carousel waiting for you to take it.

One such airport (increadable numbers of arriving flights and passengers 24/7) is Shanghai in China. And plenty of English spoken. 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 8:14 AM, Laughing Gravy said:

It is just and fair and Thailand has had issues at immigration in the airports for many years. It is time to take responsibility for criticism and not behave like a child "throwing their rattle out of a pram".

Accept the criticism, learn from it and the country and system will benefit.

No worse than the UK. A couple of years ago I was stood in the T5 transit immigration queue for over 2 hours heading to Manchester, they were seeing people based on how long to the onward flight, a bit sorry for those that had 3 to 4 hours between flights. But then queueing is a national pastime in the UK.

As for rattle throwing, UK must have the gold medal, we see every day the Home Office cannot stand criticism.

In 20 odd years I have never had to wait more than an hour coming into Thailand.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

No worse than the UK. A couple of years ago I was stood in the T5 transit immigration queue for over 2 hours heading to Manchester, they were seeing people based on how long to the onward flight, a bit sorry for those that had 3 to 4 hours between flights. But then queueing is a national pastime in the UK.

As for rattle throwing, UK must have the gold medal, we see every day the Home Office cannot stand criticism.

In 20 odd years I have never had to wait more than an hour coming into Thailand.

Thanks Sandy, we can always rely on you as the ultimate apologist.

I am surprised you didn't put the term Brexit in your message.

As a reminder, this was about Thai Immigration at Bangkok.  I look forward to your thread on UK airports, as I will be happy to reply. I could also comment on Delhi, Damman, , Islamabad, Dubai, Alicante and many other airports but I prefer to keep to the topic in hand.

No doubt we will get another response championing your cause. zzzsss.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Before covid there were numerous threads, all exampling horrific experiences upon arrival in Thailand due to huge Immigration queues...  nothing has changed, you’ve been lucky thats all. 

This issue of queues at Immigration is solvable, it always has been solvable. The decision makers don’t care, they just get upset when publicly criticised. 

I also agree that the queues in the UK are also terrible... security queues mainly. 

Ultimately, any of these queues inconveniencing passengers and making travelling a misery are awful and need to be dealt with..... whichever country. 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 11:59 AM, Sparktrader said:

Phuket took no time. All counters open no one in front of me.

Flew into swampy late on a Friday afternoon, no one at counter, walked straight up, handed my passport, did the bio's and was out in less than 3 minutes, bags took a while which is understandable given the time they take to travel around the airport from the plane.

Exiting Sydney in Oz for Thailand on the Friday morning was a joke, at least 45 minutes to get to the self check in counters where you put in your passport and then get your photo taken, then you go through another zigzag que for about 15 minutes to put your carry on through, an hour all up, that was a joke, with 10 minutes to spare to get on the plane, heart rate was definitely up.

It's a bit like renewing a passport, Thailand passport, went in on the Monday, was in the mailbox on Friday, as for Australian passports, I hear it takes between 6-12 weeks W-T-F !

• Like 1

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

nothing has changed, you’ve been lucky thats all. 

Only the delusional would think luck can stretch that far.

I came back from China one time and was out of the airport and on the expressway within 30 minutes of the wheels touching the runway.

But why should the better experiences get in the way of a good whinge.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There are months in advance schedules of flights coming in and out of Thailand. It's not rocket science to do a little preparation and have the immigration booths properly staffed during high volume times. Stop making excuses and do what has to be done.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cheapcanuck said:

There are months in advance schedules of flights coming in and out of Thailand. It's not rocket science to do a little preparation and have the immigration booths properly staffed during high volume times. Stop making excuses and do what has to be done.

I am not sure if the numbers of arriving passengers is known months in advance as you suggest.....there are also likely only a limited number of qualified immigration officers. On average I have found immigration waiting times in Bangkok are less than I endure in the USA and UK... herded about like sheep there. 

On 11/3/2022 at 11:57 AM, soi3eddie said:

There's an easy way for immigration officials to avoid criticism and that's simply to open all counters (in and out) and get the staff to process passengers quickly. Is it really beyond their ability? They know the flight schedules and when it's likely to be busy <deleted>! 

You mean forward thinking and planning - have you forgotten who and  where you are talking about? 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Artisi said:

You mean forward thinking and planning - have you forgotten who and  where you are talking about? 

Of course they plan by airline schedules.  I am at the airport now and was through immigration in two minutes.  And I have been in and out several times in the last few weeks and never more than a small queue.

Why does everyone on here think Thai people are so moronic they don't have flight schedules?  A schedule is a schedule but all it takes is for a few flight delays here and there to screw that right up and give you a situation you had't planned for.  It's not good that it happens but it is really occasional (and I fly regularly for work) and is pretty much beyond control.

Even at the busiest times I have never waited more than an hour, but usually it is 10-15 minutes.  My last visit to Singapore - that bastion of efficiency - took me 45 minutes.  And I spent over 90 minutes in a horrible throng at Heathrow recently.  Give me Suvarnabhumi any day.

And my bet is that most of the posters whinging and putting down the Thais don't actually fly and so don't know what they are talking about - they just see a photo posted on Tik Tok and assume that is the norm - it isn't.

1 hour ago, actonion said:

Thai Immigration could do with a  lesson  in public relations comparing them to  3 other Asian ports  where i receive a smile, a bon voyage,  & a thank you..

Do you get flowers too?  I always get a smile and a courteous interchange with Thai immigration. Not so in the Philippines, Vietnam, Singapore, Indonesia, and definitely not in the UK which is just appalling.  Where are your fabled ports?

Lack of staff at the Immigration Desks is down to the government. Nothing to do with AOT.  Lack of staff at Security  (and their attitude ) is more likely due to low pay and miserable working conditions.

My last year of work at Heathrow (while waiting for HR to sort out my pension) was in Security. As I was earning the same salary as in my previous position (and not normal security salary) I put up with it. As soon as HR said we have finalized your deal I was off like a shot.

Wild horses wouldn't have dragged me back under their normal pay and conditions.

I suspect that in Thailand it's pretty much the same.

On 11/5/2022 at 10:53 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Flew into swampy late on a Friday afternoon, no one at counter, walked straight up, handed my passport, did the bio's and was out in less than 3 minutes, bags took a while which is understandable given the time they take to travel around the airport from the plane.

Exiting Sydney in Oz for Thailand on the Friday morning was a joke, at least 45 minutes to get to the self check in counters where you put in your passport and then get your photo taken, then you go through another zigzag que for about 15 minutes to put your carry on through, an hour all up, that was a joke, with 10 minutes to spare to get on the plane, heart rate was definitely up.

It's a bit like renewing a passport, Thailand passport, went in on the Monday, was in the mailbox on Friday, as for Australian passports, I hear it takes between 6-12 weeks W-T-F !

6 to 12 weeks? Mine didn't, in my letter box in CM within 5 working days.

I discovered they are transported in bulk on a very fast courier to Bkk then very promptly lodged for EMS domestic delivery. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2022 at 10:51 AM, Sparktrader said:

So why are the Thais nice? Oz has very little drug imports really. Most passengers are polite.

You obviously never been there.

There is no economy without the private sector.

mate, now you are pushing s**t up hill, before covid I flew regularly between Australia and Thailand, never had an easy run through thai immigration at either Bangkok or Phuket although Phuket is a lot quicker, The officers take great delight in going through all the pages and acting extremely arrogant as well as taking as much time as possible, in Australia you just put your open passport in the machine and walk through, even my thai wife was through shortly after me and that was in busy periods. Its the baggage inspection that can take a while but only if the dogs check you are you are acting suspicious. The reason Australia doesnt have all the diseases etc that other countries do is due to the strict inspections and they do get a lot of drugs going in, suggest you watch the Australian customs shows to see all the BS theat people try to take in there, comparing Thailand to Australia is a total joke at best, I love living in Thailand but at least I am honest about it, sounds like you are just full of it and looking for a bite

Edited by seajae

18 minutes ago, seajae said:

mate, now you are pushing s**t up hill, before covid I flew regularly between Australia and Thailand, never had an easy run through thai immigration at either Bangkok or Phuket although Phuket is a lot quicker, The officers take great delight in going through all the pages and acting extremely arrogant as well as taking as much time as possible, in Australia you just put your open passport in the machine and walk through, even my thai wife was through shortly after me and that was in busy periods. Its the baggage inspection that can take a while but only if the dogs check you are you are acting suspicious. The reason Australia doesnt have all the diseases etc that other countries do is due to the strict inspections and they do get a lot of drugs going in, suggest you watch the Australian customs shows to see all the BS theat people try to take in there, comparing Thailand to Australia is a total joke at best, I love living in Thailand but at least I am honest about it, sounds like you are just full of it and looking for a bite

So because you did everyone else does? You are pushing something. Ive never had a hard time in 20 years.

On 11/5/2022 at 10:53 AM, 4MyEgo said:

There's 2 of us travellers who don't find trouble at every turn. I wonder how the others dress and act. Ali G like perhaps.

• Haha 1

There sure is something weird about it. Nobody ever greets or says hello to each other. There is usually zero eye contact.

Pointing at the camera is also off-putting. If I'm standing there just take the shot. No need to point at the camera or lift it etc.

There's so many things that could be done to make the immigration check more enjoyable.

Just one idea would to place a small figurine on each counter holding a sign that said "Hello" or "Sawadee Krup". This would cost practically nothing and make a huge difference to so many people. Or even just a sign that said "Welcome To Thailand!"

Edited by JimTripper

On 11/3/2022 at 8:55 AM, Sparktrader said:

Oz is a police state. Thailand is a breeze. I had salt in my bag. They asked what it was, I said salt. They said ok. Takes 3 secs to do fingerprints. 

why was immigration looking in your bag, not their job

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

6 to 12 weeks? Mine didn't, in my letter box in CM within 5 working days.

I discovered they are transported in bulk on a very fast courier to Bkk then very promptly lodged for EMS domestic delivery. 

You must be the only one as all I read on forums and hear from friends how long it takes, 6-12 weeks.

I recall renewing my kids passports in Phuket on a return overseas trip, it took about 3 weeks, that was in 2019. They didn't want to send them to me, I said them you catch the 2 hour flight to Udon Thani, then drive one hour and deliver them to me.

After threatening the staff member behind the counter who was a typical no flexible government worker that I would escalate it all the way to the Minister in Canberra, she walked off, came back with another member and he said, we don't trust EMS, I said, well I do and I accept full responsibility if they get lost, that would then be my problem, wouldn't it, he nodded and they agreed as a one off to send them by EMS, which they did.

What they don't understand is that I will go back for a holiday again and repeat what I did with the wife's and my passport next time as it's cheaper than flying to Bangkok and having to return or cross over to Laos and return, it should be a one way event, they should also have an outreach post for it's Citizens to be able to lodge them and then send them, but typical Australian Government bureaucracy, always making life difficult for it's Citizens instead of working with them, in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

There sure is something weird about it. Nobody ever greets or says hello to each other. There is usually zero eye contact.

Pointing at the camera is also off-putting. If I'm standing there just take the shot. No need to point at the camera or lift it etc.

There's so many things that could be done to make the immigration check more enjoyable.

Just one idea would to place a small figurine on each counter holding a sign that said "Hello" or "Sawadee Krup". This would cost practically nothing and make a huge difference to so many people. Or even just a sign that said "Welcome To Thailand!"

Yep! "Welcome to Thailand"  did you bring your money. 

5 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Yeah mostly Chinese with food.

Vietnamese too... but the odd Aussie with some stupid animal skin or bladed weapons can get caught up in it. What is it with these folks, is foodstuff expensive in Oz or you don't have any, and live off kangaroo and koala bears?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Vietnamese too... but the odd Aussie with some stupid animal skin or bladed weapons can get caught up in it. What is it with these folks, is foodstuff expensive in Oz or you don't have any, and live off kangaroo and koala bears?

Platypus and Ecidna pies

5 hours ago, steve187 said:

why was immigration looking in your bag, not their job

because he is making it up as he goes, just sprooking a load of BS to try to get a bite, needs to remove his hands from where they are firmly placed,  drives a porsche, ex sas, you name it, he will tell you he has done it, troll

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1