How do compare Bangkok with Pattaya and with Chiang Mai?

Goodboybkk

4 hours ago, Hummin said:

3 different destinations with different activities as well athmosphere. All dependes on what you searching.

Well that goes without saying. ????

Bangkok: if you enjoy big cities and lots of people, it’s great. Good fun/entertainment, transport options. Surprisingly quaint still in some places like the old town. Superb hotels and eating. 

Chiang Mai: cultured northern hub, Thailand’s second city. Great if you like the mountains and cycling, best climate in Thailand from now to Feb, good shopping and eating (health food options and nice cafes), beautiful northern women. Smoky, hot season March-June is horrible and the nightlife has been trounced by the police. Airport right by town with good connections. 

Pattaya: sleazy weekend place that has had its day near a tatty beach. Still, there is nice scenery and beaches nearby. Good golf. Closest airport has poor connections. 

All have good hotels and worth a visit, but spend a good amount of time in each before considering living there.

Pattaya - ultra touristy, plenty of sleaze, poor sea, issan's home from home, not really like anywhere else in Thailand. An easy introduction to Thailand for foreigners, closest likeness, a cross between Blackpool, Morecambe and Clacton. Wheels not necessary.

Chiang Mai - great scenery, more normal Thailand, a bit reserved and snooty in places, heavily polluted at certain times, beg packers delight, frowns on Issan. Closest likeness, a cross between Skipton, Harrogate and ? You need wheels.

Bangkok - Phew, I couldn't even begin to describe or compare.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Bangkok IMO only for those like lots of people, lots of pollution, traffic jams, good night life.

Pattaya is IMO like a smaller, cheaper version of Bkk.

Chiang Mai quieter, more polluted certain times of year, far from the coast, best scenery options, pathetic night life, worst public transport options.

I lived in Bangkok for two years (2011/2013) with breaks of one month every three months and Pattay for two years (continuously During Covid). I have been to Chiangmai and Phuket but I felt I could not stay there for more than a few weeks. I like Pattaya and now stay there for 6-month in a year And visit Bangkok for a few days during my Pattaya stay almost every month.  I had a friend who used to live in Bangkok and had a small apartment in Pattaya because he used to visit Pattay almost every month. 

Edited by Onerak
  • Like 1

Without some specific criteria, its really asking how long is a piece of string.

For tourism?, for expat living?, for cost of living?, lifestyle ??

I think Pattaya sits somewhere in the middle as it has a bit of everything. City, beach, rural, islands. top end options, low end options. 

• Like 2

I have lived in Bangkok almost three years.  I have also visited Chiangmai and Pattaya. Both gave me the impression both were more low key and friendlier then Bangkok.  In Pattaya I felt more Thais spoke English than in Bangkok.  

15 hours ago, Hummin said:

3 different destinations with different activities as well athmosphere. All dependes on what you searching. One place have beach, other place caotic big city with everything a big city have to offer, and third more countryside village city tourist place. Less pollution in Pattaya, but depending on what time of year you arriving. 

Common for all places is food, alot of food

That about sums it up.

If you're renting you can come and go to each city as you please.

Sounds fun! 

10 hours ago, Onerak said:

I lived in Bangkok for two years (2011/2013) with breaks of one month every three months and Pattay for two years (continuously During Covid). I have been to Chiangmai and Phuket but I felt I could not stay there for more than a few weeks. I like Pattaya and now stay there for 6-month in a year And visit Bangkok for a few days during my Pattaya stay almost every month.  I had a friend who used to live in Bangkok and had a small apartment in Pattaya because he used to visit Pattay almost every month. 

Sounds great.

So easy to get back and forth under any circumstances also. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Are you serious, what are you on? That is an article over 3.5 years old. I swam in the sea at Jomtien today. The water was very calm and very clear. Followed after by 3 beers watching the sunset. A perfect day and evening, you cant get that in Bangkok its just a busy smelly city and Chaing Mai full of air polution. Pattaya/Jomtien for me every time.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

CM is quiet unless you are on Hang Dong Rd at peak hour. Very good Raan aahan. Nice people. Not great during burning season, but beautiful now. Grung Tep big city exciting but big city. Pattaya sleaze capital of Muang Thai.

• Thumbs Up 1