Why is the UK struggling more than other countries?

Scott

24 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Brexit - it puts the UK out of trade and 4 to 10% economically worse. The rest of the world is suffering from inflation ,energy crisis etc etc but the UK threw the baby out with the bat water. 

It's early days. Guys that make assessments based on a couple of years amuse me. 

When it gets better people will say how happy they are not to be told what to do by Brussels.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's early days. Guys that make assessments based on a couple of years amuse me. 

When it gets better people will say how happy they are not to be told what to do by Brussels.

"When it gets better" - Don't make me laugh!

It started before 2016 - it was forecast and referred to as "project fear" - only a fool thinks that Brussels told us what to do.

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Eleftheros said:

"They did what they did at the time with the information they had."

If that were to be the case for the defence, it would be a very weak one.

1. They relied on information from a notorious and time-proved bungler in Neil Ferguson, whose rotten predictions had already cost the UK billions of pounds in earlier disease outbreaks (notably swine flu).

2. They spoke to an actual doctor, an acknowledged expert on the transmission dynamics of infectious diseases (Dr Sunetra Gupta) and then ignored her advice.

3. They threw away, in a single afternoon, a Pandemic Preparedness Strategy which had been created carefully a decade  before for just this sort of situation.

It was a display of astounding cowardice and incompetence which has caused generational damage to the country they had been entrusted to govern.

They saw the scenes of hospitals filling up in the UK and other European countries 'which drove the policy making' simple really.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Ah yes, the kids from university that know sod all about life as it really is, but claim that a piece of paper makes them experts.

Yet some on this very forum have claimed that any that have not got a uni education are not as good as those that have. LOL.

I'll take any that learned on the job ( with sufficient educational input from technical colleges etc ) over someone that spent 18 or so years in school anytime. Not referring to actual professionals such as doctors though.

There are many reasons why Britain is struggling and IMO more to do with management as I experienced it when working there, than Brexit or any such.

I concur most management run large construction companies were a joke, the work didn't mean anything only profit and shareholders. 

The hundreds of small building companies that were bought up was a sad day in the construction industry. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When money has become more important than people, that society IMO is doomed to the fate of all failed societies- the Babylonians, the Romans, etc.

Some of the Architects were a joke too young an inexperienced.

On a lot of the labour run sites in London it was difficult to find someone who spoke English. ????

I ended up not visiting many sites just phoned my gang leaders on site to find out progress and see to it they had material and tool backup. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Requiring foreigners to obtain visas before visiting a Country isn't being xenophobic 

What is then? You've said that it's not for economic reasons. UK Immigration should know when someone has arrived in the country. What added benefit is there in making individuals obtain a visa?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RayC said:

What is then? You've said that it's not for economic reasons. UK Immigration should know when someone has arrived in the country. What added benefit is there in making individuals obtain a visa?

The process of getting a Visa is all about vetting to ensure that the person is eligible to enter the country so provides benefit to the individual (very few people with Visas are denied entry) as well as the state,

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Except it’s a Brexit lie.

So the EU would let us do anything we wanted as a member,   OK i never knew that. 

As a young man never wanted to join the European mob in the first place. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RayC said:

If done properly it keeps the ponces out. 

3 hours ago, RayC said:

The added benefit is that millions of Europeans  can not just come to the UK and live and work in the U.K 

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The UK has not been able to do as it pleases since around the time of the Second World War.

The latest example being Washington Schooling London on what is and is not acceptable wrt the UK’s post Brexit plans for Northern Ireland.

Yeah the Northern Ireland thing is or seems to be a problem with border i don't see why concessions can't be made someone is being stubborn.

N. Ireland voted to stay in EU so I say get rid of it it's been nothing but trouble for decades.

Scotland can buzz off as well if they want. 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah the Northern Ireland thing is or seems to be a problem with border i don't see why concessions can't be made someone is being stubborn.

N. Ireland voted to stay in EU so I say get rid of it it's been nothing but trouble for decades.

Scotland can buzz off as well if they want. 

if only the Tories could listen to you all problems solved and England back to be "fully" independent from the UK  555

• Like 1
  • Love It 1