Thai Ministry of Tourism and Sports begs FIFA to lower price of World Cup rights

snoop1130

9 hours ago, happy me said:

They have had 4 years to plan for this...so they think "ahhhh let's wait until 4 days before" would the tv channels even have time to rig it all up in time now?

It's the Thai way...... things get done at the last minute, if at all. 

• Like 1

Déjà vu. This is almost an identical headline to four years ago. The world's 14 largest economy goes begging to FiFa. Like 4 years ago it was announced at the last minute that it would indeed be shown for free to air as it benefits the economy. My crystal ball says watch this space.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

I could think of many, much better things Thailand could have done with a billion baht to better the lives of it's people, but this is soccer, and for some people soccer is more important than life...

'Some people' is an expected 5 billion viewers - although probably none in Thailand. But they can't spend a billion Baht anyway, so it isn't wasted on people who need to get a life.

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

Some people' is an expected 5 billion viewers - although probably none in Thailand. But they can't spend a billion Baht anyway, so it isn't wasted on people who need to get a life.

The proceeds on gambling alone should cover the costs!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, worgeordie said:

FIFA cannot lower the prices as at the next World cup , Thailand will be back

again cap in hand wanting a big discount , once again Thailand has left it to

the last minute , if they don't manage to do a deal Thai people are not going

to be happy.

regards worgeordie

Just let it go. Not all Thais are interested in football. So using taxpayers money for this is not justified. The World Cup damages productivity as people stay up late to watch it and billions are wasted in illegal betting. The whole thing is a big yawn.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm 95% confident that a deal will be struck. It sounds like it might land between 1.1B and 1.5B baht. The loss of face would be epic were this deal not to get done.

The problem with letting this go late, in 2018 they had a deal 2 ~ 3 months before the first match - is that sponsors will get a lot less bang for their buck. They could have been tieing in marketing efforts, launching new products, building brand awareness for months leading up to the event. Now? No one will pay much attention to those companies which might end up throwing a few hundred mil into the beggars cup.

I think the regime has just grown even more fat and lazy - the Thai-way, and there was no senior level champion.

• Like 2