Re-Entry Permit

Looks like one of the first things the OP will need to do upon his return to Thailand with a visa exemption stamp (assuming that he has not obtained a re-entry permit) will be to leg it down to his local immigration office clutching an application for a non-o visa conversion - provided, of course, that he can meet all relevant requirements:

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=2537

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

The only way I know of achieving that it to let the existing permission to stay lapse and start all over again. 

You make it sound like a problem when it is no big deal. Done it a few times in recent years for one reason or another.

Under consideration at the moment, wanted to move my renewal date so went to the UK a few months back and came back on a new Non O, going for an extension no different to any other time.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

Really unfortunate when that happens accidentally. I'll be doing it deliberately at some point though. My retirement extension is currently in my UK passport, but I want it in my New Zealand passport going forwards. The only way I know of achieving that it to let the existing permission to stay lapse and start all over again. 

Did you try to have the stamps transferred to your other passport ?

I've done it twice with no problems, though both times the passports were from the same country.

But if you fill out the form (to have your stamps transferred) and tell the IO a story about why you are switching passports, they may do it without problem.

Line 21: https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/downloads_en/

7 hours ago, 1948wjm said:

Have any members had any recent experience on returning to Thailand with a valid extension in passport but no re-entry permit ???

Yeah, you're pretty much screwed.
I know a guy who did the same thing. Just forgot to get a re-entry permit before going home. Came back - so sorry, 30 day stamp for you ! (Yeah I know it's 45 days - now - but wasn't - then.)

Had to literally start the process all over again from scratch with the only plus being he already had the finance part ready.

Then again, the same guy was also denied an Extension one year because he was one of those guys that was transferring almost exactly the minimum amount needed for the monthly transfer method - and did'nt watch the exchange rates.
When he went to renew, it was declined because (he says) one month the amount was 20 baht under the minimum.

My understanding is that there are quite a few who do that, transfer the bare minimum with almost no wriggle room at all to account for exchange rate changes or banking delays or transfer fee changes.

When your entire Extension rides on you having to have that minimum amount being transferred each month, you'd think they'd err on the side of caution but no, that might cost them the equivalent of a quarter of a glass of (warm) draft beer each month and who wants to risk that !

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, sandyf said:

You make it sound like a problem when it is no big deal. Done it a few times in recent years for one reason or another.

I simply stated it as a fact. You can't have the extension of stay transferred between passports of different countries. No big problem as you say. A slight inconvenience with an extra visit to immigration and some extra photocopying !  The extra visit because you get a 90-day and then have to extend again from that. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

14 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Then again, the same guy was also denied an Extension one year because he was one of those guys that was transferring almost exactly the minimum amount needed for the monthly transfer method - and did'nt watch the exchange rates.
When he went to renew, it was declined because (he says) one month the amount was 20 baht under the minimum.

The minimum amount is Bht 65k for retirement, so if he was transferring THAT amount, what's the exchange rate got to do with it?

13 hours ago, KannikaP said:

The minimum amount is Bht 65k for retirement, so if he was transferring THAT amount, what's the exchange rate got to do with it?

Presumably the person in question was transferring a fixed amount of his home currency each month, which was enough (in most months) to convert to 65K THB upon receipt by the Thai bank.

When the exchange rate dipped, he neglected to increase the amount of his monthly home currency allotment and that resulted in missing the THB minimum.  

(That's how I interpreted the post.)

8 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

I simply stated it as a fact. You can't have the extension of stay transferred between passports of different countries. No big problem as you say. A slight inconvenience with an extra visit to immigration and some extra photocopying !  The extra visit because you get a 90-day and then have to extend again from that. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Depends how you come back. I came back on an E-visa, that took about half an hour sat in front of my computer, no photocopying involved.

After about 60 odd days I went to immigration to get marriage extension,  just like any other time.

12 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

And the slight inconvenience resulting from an extra trip to Immigration should, of course, be more than offset by the considerably greater inconvenience you would otherwise have been faced with when next renewing your British passport (assuming, of course, that renewing NZ passports is not a similarly tedious, protracted and cumbersomely bureaucratic process)!????

23 hours ago, OJAS said:

And the slight inconvenience resulting from an extra trip to Immigration should, of course, be more than offset by the considerably greater inconvenience you would otherwise have been faced with when next renewing your British passport (assuming, of course, that renewing NZ passports is not a similarly tedious, protracted and cumbersomely bureaucratic process)!????

Yes, that is certainly a key factor in the decision. NZ Passport renewal from abroad is quick and easy. I did it a couple of times from the UK.  Also the fact that I've quit the UK permanently now and spend my time just between NZ and Thailand.

19 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Yes, that is certainly a key factor in the decision. NZ Passport renewal from abroad is quick and easy. I did it a couple of times from the UK.  

My NZ passport renewal - completed online on a Thursday, following morning a call from NZ Dept Internal Affairs wanting to confirm why I required a new one, ie it hadn't been lost or stolen as hadn't expired, explained full of visa and entry/exit stamps, all ok. Processed by Monday and arrived for collection at DHL agent in Chanthaburi on Wednesday afternoon.

Six days, as good as it gets.