Thailand’s Narcotics Control Board to meet next week to discuss making cannabis an illegal narcotic again

webfact

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

What has that got to do with it?

12 minutes ago, PEE TEE said:

But alcohol is still ok it never causes any problems ?

Alcohol is worse, FAR WORSE!!!

IT IS ALSO AGAINST THE BUDDHIST BELIEF UNLIKE HERBS ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

So, it has been legal for many years in other nations, Netherlands as one example, which have not obviously disolved into total chaos and wide spread overdose calamity. 

These anti-cannibas  types are saying that Thai people cannot handle it at all?

I think the problem is the way the "introduction" was handled. Instead of simply decriminalizing, which is what other places did, there was aggressive and excessive media hyping (for a financial reason) which led people to have unrealistic expectations and lack of understanding of basic precautions/contraindications. Leading people with existing mental illnesses and other contraindications  to use it, with predictable results.

In addition there may have been/be a lack of quality control on the products out there. Possible that some of the adverse effects being seen are actually due to pesticide content.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I bet there must be 5,000 - 10,000 weed shops now in Thailand with thousands of growers who most likely have invested all they have in their new business

To shut them down over night is just beyond belief,and a huge injustice....

Heck some might be so pizzed off they might see knocking off some gold shops as justice to try and recover their money..  

Edited by redwood1

The disastrous roll out has been mis-interpreted and red lines have been pushed to the limits. - Now everywhere I go I can smell weed. 

So much for attracting high-so, 'quality' tourists. They just won't put up with that sh.. .

Edited by Phuket Pete
Presentation correction

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Thousands of cannabis shops have opened just in Bangkok, almost like the 7-11 stores there's one or two on almost every street in Sathorn, on Sukhumvit, on Soi 11 and so on....the investment has been made. Food shops selling infused drinks etc. If this happens the revolt will be huge

I sse thai gov bought a load of stryker combat apc whatever... just use them to keep em quiet... sure these were intended to protected TH sure

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I think the problem is the way the "introduction" was handled. Instead of simply decriminalizing, which is what other places did, there was aggressive and excessive media hyping (for a financial reason) which led people to have unrealistic expectations and lack of understanding of basic precautions/contraindications. Leading people with existing mental illnesses and other contraindications  to use it, with predictable results.

In addition there may have been/be a lack of quality control on the products out there. Possible that some of the adverse effects being seen are actually due to pesticide content.

The main issue was that Anutin was running out of time to fulfill his campaign pledge of legalisation and avoid being seen as a failure by the electorate at next year's elections. Originally he must have hoped the Cannabis and Hemp Bill cold be passed at about the same time or soon after decriminalisation. But in the end he had to go it alone and push the button on a one page ministerial decree to legalise with less than a year to go before the end of the government's term and the threat of the government collapsing or Prayut dissolving parliament at any moment. The blocking of the Cannabis Bill by his fellow coalition partners in the Democrat Party for self-serving political reasons was an unexpected and bitter blow after they had voted for the first reading in June a few days after decriminalisation. 

The other issue was the smoke and mirrors effect of Anutin convincing people that recreational use would still be illegal after decriminalisation because extracts wiht over 0.2% would still be illegal, without mentioning extracts were not necessary for recreational use. In fact they are used more for medicinal purposes.  This created a backlash from conservatives who had been too lazy to read the one pager that decriminalised weed and suddenly realised that buds were legal.  

Yes, there is a lack of QC on the buds, since a two tier market developed for rich stoners who can afford to pay 700 baht a gram for imported organic buds in dispensaries and the have nots who continued smoking the brickweed that comes in from plantations owned by Thai influential figures in Laos at 2.5 baht a gram. The brickweed produced with pesticides and from moldy weed was always there and will continue to be there underground if they recriminalise but the imported organic buds will all but disappear. So that the QC problem will get worse under recriminalisation.  It's hard to see demand or supply disappearing overnight as a result of recriminalisation, if they do it. 

Incidentally I don't think Anutin's claim that he only ever wanted to legalise for medical use is in any way credible. Before decriminalisatin they had already carved out sufficient exemptions allowing medical use.  So, there was no need to legalise fully, if medical use was the sole objective.  Anyway medical demand is pretty small and the big money has always been in recreational use.  The daughter of Newin, the founder and power behind the scenes of Anutin's BJP party,  who has plantations openly in Thailand was clear about that in a BBC interview. The plantations of BJP backers that are visible in Thailand must be only the tip of the iceberg. Having said all that I think it was a calculated gamble by Anutin to get his policies through and without the Democrats putting a spoke in the wheel, his policy might be in reasonable shape. On balance it would be good for Thailand to maintain a relatively open cannabis policy and continue to allow tourists to get access to it. You could say Thai tourism has it all: Sun, Sand, Sea, Sex and Sativa.  Amsterdam admits that roughly a third of its tourism is attracted by the dope. Then there is the red light district, which pales in comparison to Thailand's equivalent industry.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Shocked farang said:

Exactly, that's the logic of liberalisation of soft drugs and strongly opposing hard ones that really demage people. 

All drugs should be legalized, produced by governments, taxed and sold through pharmacies to anyone who wants them above the age of 18. It's the only way that makes sense.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Your last paragraph demonstrates the Government hypocrisy where small potential scale brewers have been prevented from setting up as the Government is apparently concerned about lack of quality control.

11 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

All drugs should be legalized, produced by governments, taxed and sold through pharmacies to anyone who wants them above the age of 18. It's the only way that makes sense.  

I think I can agree with you. Legalising all drugs will drive down the price and make it unprofitable for criminals. Tax them at a low rate and spend the billions 'fighting' drugs on controlling their use and setting up addiction programmes. I believe an experiment was carried out in Scotland where heroin addicts were supplied with heroin and they integrated and lived productive working lives because they didn't have to beg and steal and mix with bad boys to get the money for their regular hit.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Should that include opiates/opioids? Heroin, Fentanyl, Demerol etc

10 minutes ago, Hammerite said:

Seems this forum is dominated by stoners.

However this does not mean their opinions are representative of wider public opinion or informed medical opinion.  

Beware of living a bubble .especially one filled with weed smoke!!!

:stoner: 

You obviously have an issue with 'stoners'........  

NOTE: I've lived in a bubble filled with weed smoke for nearly 50 years and have lived a very successful life!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Hammerite said:

Seems this forum is dominated by stoners.

However this does not mean their opinions are representative of wider public opinion or informed medical opinion.  

Beware of living a bubble .especially one filled with weed smoke!!!

:stoner: 

Have you ever wondered why you never get invited to parties?

Maybe there's a reason. :unsure:

Just sayin.

• Haha 2

If you've ever ben around Thai people who are getting drunk or stoned you know they have no self-control.  If smoking a joint is good then eating a brownie and making a slurpee with THC oil and smoking must be the best.   Ive seen guys chain smoke joints like they're cigarettes.  And I thought I came from a country of excess and abuse.  These guys win hands down

50 minutes ago, happydreamer said:

If you've ever ben around Thai people who are getting drunk or stoned you know they have no self-control.  If smoking a joint is good then eating a brownie and making a slurpee with THC oil and smoking must be the best.   Ive seen guys chain smoke joints like they're cigarettes.  And I thought I came from a country of excess and abuse.  These guys win hands down

I disagree with all of this.

Ive seen guys chain smoke joints like they're cigarettes.

I have been around Thais for many years & been to many Thai parties and I have never seen Thais chain smoking joints.

making a slurpee with THC oil

Again, never seen anything remotely like this.

I presume it's dependent on the type of people one mixes with.

And I thought I came from a country of excess and abuse.

The only places in Thailand that I have seen anything like the behavior that you describe has been in tourist areas and the 'abusers' were not Thai.

Edited by Bert got kinky
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

None, but danger to society does not exclusively mean that someone can OD on a substance. There's lots of other ways a drug can be a danger to society. In my opinion none of those apply to cannabis, though. 

Except perhaps the reduction in IQ that it causes in teen users who overindulge.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

The Thai Governments new motto "Once we thought we were indecisive now we are not so sure"

Just like the police pistol debacle let them keep the old pistols and issue new ones that the "GOV" bought and now they have a firearm crisis.

I can just hear that knock at the door Wednesday arvo...."err do you remember we let you out in June because the cannabis laws were changed, well its changed again so we need you to go pack your toothbrush and come along with us please, there's a good lad" lol!

38 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

I disagree with all of this.

Ive seen guys chain smoke joints like they're cigarettes.

I have been around Thais for many years & been to many Thai parties and I have never seen Thais chain smoking joints.

making a slurpee with THC oil

Again, never seen anything remotely like this.

I presume it's dependent on the type of people one mixes with.

And I thought I came from a country of excess and abuse.

The only places in Thailand that I have seen anything like the behavior that you describe has been in tourist areas and the 'abusers' were not Thai.

Disagree with it then.  The evidence speaks for itself. They obviously have a problem smoking weed and staying out of hospitals, something the rest of the world doesn't experience.

Thailand isn't a country with people known for being able to handle drugs.  Wouldn't know much about tourist areas, not a tourist and never went into those areas because I had no interest mingling with other westerners

Edited by happydreamer

34 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

Except perhaps the reduction in IQ that it causes in teen users who overindulge.

Again, another post that is not supported by any factual data.

I've been smoking cannabis since I was a teen and for perhaps 50 years or so and my education as well as employment history will support the fact that I lost no IQ points. In fact I worked circles around a few that held PhDs.