Your essential guide to Thailand’s new driving license points system

webfact

46 minutes ago, Encid said:

These situations are for collecting cash only.

No tickets are issued, and the cash goes into brown uniformed pockets, both the collectors and their superior's.

Years ago, I was stopped in Phuket for not wearing a helmet, The officer made me park my bike at the checkpoint.  I was then made to walk to an ATM since I had no money on my person, having just come from Muay Thai class, and then walk back to the checkpoint where I paid the 500 Baht fine, got my receipt and was then allowed to drive off, yes sans helmet as it had been stolen the night before when out on Bangla road.....

No one is going to stop driving here if they lose their license. If they stop you and you don't have a license you might have to pay them but that's it. 

Since the entire system is fatally flawed anyway, this is all a waste of time. 

The root of the problem (one of them) is that there is no enforcement of traffic laws. Cops are not equipped with training or cars for traffic law enforcement. I've never seen anyone pulled over for anything in 15 years here. Drive as fast and recklessly as you want, no one cares. No driver's license? Not a problem. 

6 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

So, if you drive  without a license they'll deduct two points from your inexistent license. The epitome of Thai logic.

Or when you driving while disqualified,  points deducted from the next license when the license is returned.

I can see this being abused by the Bib - like the cost of the fine is multiplied by the number of points you have accumulated - when you get caught with breaking the law with 9 points under your belt, they get the double bubble Brucie bonus. You can just imagine the reaction from behind the mask and sunglasses .. “mmmm, what do points make? Points make prizes!”

Edited by recom273

6 hours ago, JoePai said:

All driving license holders will start with 12 points each

Why do they make things difficult, always the opposite to what makes sense.

When you start you have No/Nil/Zero points, then accumulate them 

I bet they're trying to figure out how to sell points to someone who needs them.   That would never be possible with your plan!

3 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Nothing will ever change on Thai roads until Artificial Intelligence is deployed using Robocops to arrest and punish these road miscreants. Having said that, any type of AI would outperform the current outfit.

Thailand needs to go back to bicycles for a few generations until they learnt obey basic rules.

Murder and mayhem by vehicular madness.

The level of ignorance, rudeness and general p i s s poor driving here never ceases to amaze me. I love driving in general but I detest driving here, especially in Bangkok, where "me first" definitely is the only rule of the day. Admittedly, when I worked in Vietnam I used to enjoy and look forward to the relative civilization of Thai roads. However that warm and fuzzy feeling evaporated years ago.

"but I detest driving here, especially in Bangkok,"  I have driven and rode motorbikes many times in Bangkok and never had a problem with bad drivers, yet I cannot say the same about Pattaya, Nakhon Sawan, Phitsanulok, Rio Et, Khon Kaen, etc, etc.

Edited by NoshowJones

6 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Is your son called Toyota or Honda or Suzuki etc ?   555

Can a car be registered IN the name of a minor?

Yes it can. The car was the exs name and would not transfer it to me. The local DLT allowed it to be transferred to my son who was 9 at the time..

Edited by ripstanley

The penalty If you're caught driving while your license is suspended or confiscated will only cost you 2 points is totally absurd...if you're  caught driving while you license is suspended or confiscated, they need to impound your vehicle for 90 days!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JoePai said:

All driving license holders will start with 12 points each

Why do they make things difficult, always the opposite to what makes sense.

When you start you have No/Nil/Zero points, then accumulate them 

I sympathise with your total inability to understand.

All the systems of points have value, the Thai system is more easy to understand, get down to zero, by by license.

16 hours ago, webfact said:

From January 9 next year, any driver who breaks traffic laws will face not only legal punishment but will also get his or her points deducted. And if their points drop to zero, their driving license will be suspended for up to 90 days.

Pathetic.

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Since the police never pull over vehicles and issue tickets, we have little to be worried about. 

Assuming you are not joking, this comment is total nonsense, as it seems are many of your other 22,000 posts, or the at least the few I've read.
Only recently I was in a car with a Thai driver who was pulled over for still having red number plates and given a ticket by a polite policeman, and "tea money" was not accepted. Happened to me several times over many decades as well. 

Edited by Raphael Hythlodaeus

12 hours ago, ripstanley said:

Yes it can. The car was the exs name and would not transfer it to me. The local DLT allowed it to be transferred to my son who was 9 at the time..

This country never ceases to amaze me.

36 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

This country never ceases to amaze me.

Sorry, I take this back. A minor can be registered in UK as the legal owner of a vehicle without proof of age. But if DVLA suspect that it is a minor they can refuse the registration. The legal owner is also responsible for taxing and insuring the vehicle, and for paying any fines imposed for say parking or speeding, and will be the one prosecuted if it is not done.

Edited by KannikaP

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Two points will be deducted if they are caught jumping a red light, driving against the prescribed traffic direction, or driving while their license is confiscated or suspended.

Minus two points if driving while under suspension... laughable.

I thought they wanted to get serious?

21 hours ago, KannikaP said:

So you can get caught DUI THREE TIMES before a 90 day ban.

So you didn’t even read the first sentence in full ? The bit about losing points plus the legal punishment for the offence.

On 11/22/2022 at 11:32 AM, proton said:

went to the local licensing/tax office yesterday (for hours!) No info about this at all, even the wall charts explaining the road signs has information missing????

been trying to locally renew my tax disc for ages now - told I have to get the car resprayed before they'll issue a new one......lunacy......

On 11/22/2022 at 11:35 AM, ThailandRyan said:

So how will points be given out for those speeding tickets issued by the camera to the owner of the car. Are they going to try and identify the driver or just add points to the owner of record even if they do not have a license to drive or what?

Bar code tattoo on the forehead.

Are these offenses committed with video evidence or on the say so of the Brown mafia, more power to extort, I was pulled over in Bangkok yesterday accused of running a red light, when in reality I passed while green but traffic was slowed as I crossed the junction due a traffic cop approaching traffic in search of another victim, told wife the fine was 1000 baht, thought from September 1st it was 4000 baht, I demanded he issue me a ticket 3 times, at which point he told the wife to step out of the vehicle away from the dash camera.. she returned 2 minutes later after being extorted out of 300 baht… Message to Big Joke you still have a long way to go

• Like 1

So, these are the rules - for everyone.

1.   For minor offences, we will deduct one point. For serious offences, we will deduct four points,

2.   Speeding, failing to stop for pedestrians at a zebra crossing, talking on the phone while behind the wheel, or driving a vehicle with no license plate will cost            the driver one point.

3.   Two points will be deducted if they are caught jumping a red light, driving against the prescribed traffic direction, or driving while their license is confiscated          or suspended.

4.   The three-point deduction is reserved for illegal road racing, while the highest penalty of a four-point deduction will occur in serious offences like drunk driving.

However, the following exceptions will apply:

1.   Do you know who I am?

2.  The RTP reserve the right to ignore: 

Rule 2, 3 & 4 if they can't be bothered, don't understand the rule of law or are busy on their phones.

3.   The RTP has no desire to take further action on those drivers without licenses as they don't know who they are.

4.   If the illegal racing takes place at night, the RTP may be otherwise engaged. Therefore, no action can be taken

5.   All foreigners are exempted from these exemptions.

On 11/22/2022 at 11:49 AM, worgeordie said:

So you can be caught 3 times for DUI  , 6 Times running a red light ,

maybe off the road for 3 months ,and all good the start over again, 

they are not that serious about cutting accidents or deaths on the roads.

or maybe pay the cop 500 Baht and get no points......

regards worgeordie

Not sure about this because the court can order licence suspension for DUI on the first offence. This may be over and above any suspensions ordered by a court or perhaps it is overridden by court penalties. Very unclear.

On 11/22/2022 at 11:35 AM, ThailandRyan said:

So how will points be given out for those speeding tickets issued by the camera to the owner of the car. Are they going to try and identify the driver or just add points to the owner of record even if they do not have a license to drive or what?

My question too. Many people drive other people's cars. My wife drives my car and her brother drives her car.  

What about company cars?  I might transfer all into a company name, if there is an advantage.