Lady Susan Hussey quits over remarks to charity boss Ngozi Fulani

Scott

27 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Seems Ngozi was cosplaying at being an African  , adopted an African name and wore African clothes and pretending to be from African and when she directly got asked where she was from, she didn't want to answer because it would be revealed that she is from the U.K with Caribbean descent and nothing to do with Africa and that's why She was hesitant in replying to the question as to where she was from .

Absolute nonsense. 

If Britain is serious about creating an anti-racist future, then removing people like Lady Hussey is meaningless.

The truth is there is nothing that can be done to reform the royal family—similar to a slave plantation the only way to modernize it would be to turn it into a museum where we could learn about its horrendous history. The only anti-racist action is to abolish the terrible institution and leave it in the past so that we can create a better future.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/prince-williams-godmother-lady-susan-hussey-racism-scandal-is-not-surprising-to-black-british-people

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Seems Ngozi was cosplaying at being an African  , adopted an African name and wore African clothes and pretending to be from African and when she directly got asked where she was from, she didn't want to answer because it would be revealed that she is from the U.K with Caribbean descent and nothing to do with Africa and that's why She was hesitant in replying to the question as to where she was from .

This is where is all gets bizarre in my mind.

I'm American of Mexican descent.

Now I'm a white Hispanic which means I'm not of native central American stock.

So clearly I must be of Spanish roots somewhere in the past, should I therefore pretend to be Spanish?

Unlike this lady, I'm pretty comfortable being who I am, I don't need to invent an alter ego.

That being said it doesn't excuse what Lady Whatever did

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, James105 said:

It's certainly impossible to foresee an anti-racist future when the needle for racism is dialled so low that a non-racist question is now deemed racist.  

I haven't seen a MORE racist line of questioning from a public figure in years. The big problem is that she no doubt thought it wasn't racist.

• Like 1

Just now, cmsally said:

So it comes down to a problem based on subjective opinions. The problem is that we can take offence to just about anything if we want to. For example if a Thai person calls me a "farang" and they didn't mean it in an offensive way, should I take offence?

People have different ideas about what is racist, so whose definition should we use and why?

Quite so. All of the dictionary definitions of the 'racist' and 'racism' are about the same, not exactly, but near enough?

The problem is because the word 'racist' is used to widely now,for things that are not 'racist' its kind of lost its actual definitive meaning?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cmsally said:

So it comes down to a problem based on subjective opinions. The problem is that we can take offence to just about anything if we want to. For example if a Thai person calls me a "farang" and they didn't mean it in an offensive way, should I take offence?

People have different ideas about what is racist, so whose definition should we use and why?

If someone finds a statement offensive then that statement was offensive. That is the dictionary definition. There is no definition which allows the offender to determine the offensiveness, or otherwise, of their comment.

• Like 1

Just now, VocalNeal said:

No? Offensive is subjective. If someone finds a statement offensive it is they who are offended. One cannot be offended on behalf of others. 

So what if someone is offended. It is up to that person to deal with whatever ails them. 

Being offended is a sly way of trying to curtail free speech.

Show me a dictionary definition which supports your view. While not all claims of offense have merit, the right to claim offense is exclusively that of the victim. The offender never gets to claim the victim doesn't have this right.

Again, show me a credible link supporting your view.

• Like 1

"Why do we take Offence?

One of the most common reasons people take offense is insecurity. Insecurities are based on one's self-concept, ideas and feelings about self (Coon & Mitterer, 2009). When the self-concept is challenged, one will question perceptions of self and insecurities ensue."

https://www.sagu.edu/thoughthub/the-psychology-of-offense/

So basically we have to pander to people's insecurities. 

• Thanks 2

" Your eyes look very green today" (context - it's St. Patrick's day----> I take offence because I think he's suggesting I'm an Irish nationalist)

" You are looking a bit pale today"  (context - I think she is using this as a traditional British understatement, therefore I take offence because she probably means I look like death warmed up!)

"That colour suits you sooooo.... well " (context - I think she is being sarcastic (another great British trait) , so she really means I look terrible, somewhat resembling a Xmas tree-----> result = I take offence) 

So if I want to play the victim I guess it pretty much depends on me. Victimhood is starting to look like a profession !

7 minutes ago, cmsally said:

"Why do we take Offence?

One of the most common reasons people take offense is insecurity. Insecurities are based on one's self-concept, ideas and feelings about self (Coon & Mitterer, 2009). When the self-concept is challenged, one will question perceptions of self and insecurities ensue."

https://www.sagu.edu/thoughthub/the-psychology-of-offense/

So basically we have to pander to people's insecurities. 

It's called decency.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

Very interesting

British sarcasm in this context -

"I can absolutely see you are from the East end of London."

Translated for non- Brits "I never would have guessed you were from the East end of London in a million years"

"I absolutely adore your accent".

Translated for non- Brits " every sound that exits your mouth sounds like fingernails going down a blackboard"

"Your outfit is simply so unique and colourful"

Translated " You seem to have had a power outage while you were choosing your clothes and you certainly don't own a mirror."

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

If someone finds a statement offensive then that statement was offensive. That is the dictionary definition. There is no definition which allows the offender to determine the offensiveness, or otherwise, of their comment.

So the term 'causing offense', by this definition, does not address if it is good or bad but talks only of the state of mind of the offended. Therefore causing offense can be a good thing. Communicating truth. Helpful and can have a good and positive outcome.

On 12/1/2022 at 9:28 AM, RuamRudy said:

Did you actually read the transcript? It wasn't a misused word we are discussing. She was massively offensive in her relentless probing of a British born woman, seemingly determined to to force the woman to say that she is not anglo-saxon.

you have a recording do you?