Cod and Pollock fillets in Makro , don't be tempted

worgeordie

Just now, Seppius said:

Villa have a great selection of frozen cold water fish, at least the Pattaya one does, two ok sized Haddock fillets for B290, Soles and Halibut from Alaska, Cod also

We used to be able to buy fresh ocean fish straight off trawlers in walking street in Pattaya. sigh.

I can remember buying a frozen fish meal here which caused me to void from both ends of my gastro-intestinal tract for about eight hours, at hourly intervals.

Since then, if it is not fresh protein, I won't buy it.

I have never bought cod from Makro, I did not know they had it. Rimping sells frozen cod. They also have a bin with frozen imported fish from either Alaska & Norway. Relatively pricey, but good.

Pangasius dory is a farmed freshwater fish also known as Vietnamese Sawai. That is everywhere, might limit how much you eat due to chemicals &  doctor it up when you do, but up2U. That green dripping sauce for fish and shellfish, works well.

• Like 1

Food For Foreigners in Phuket have cod loin which I've enjoyed on several occasions.   Speaking of which, I have a couple to defrost tomorrow for a Bacalhau Com Natas, a Portugese dish of cod and potatoes in cream.   Pangasius (or Dory fish) is a no-no.   Yes, cheap, but bears no relation to a western and UK in particular, white fish.   That said, I have had it under the guise of 'fish and chips' a few times, and if it's dried and seasoned well, and cooked in decent batter, it's OK.

2 minutes ago, pagallim said:

Food For Foreigners in Phuket have cod loin which I've enjoyed on several occasions.   Speaking of which, I have a couple to defrost tomorrow for a Bacalhau Com Natas, a Portugese dish of cod and potatoes in cream.   Pangasius (or Dory fish) is a no-no.   Yes, cheap, but bears no relation to a western and UK in particular, white fish.   That said, I have had it under the guise of 'fish and chips' a few times, and if it's dried and seasoned well, and cooked in decent batter, it's OK.

Agree with the Dory comments.

It was our best seller on a Friday night when I had a restaurant in Isaan. Yes, we dried the fish properly, seasoned it a little and made a very authentic beer batter. It was a passable substitute for a fish supper 14 years ago.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/4/2022 at 7:16 PM, Gottfrid said:

Sorry, but that is an all time low. I would never get tempted to buy imported frozen food. Really! What do you guys eat?

And then mention pollock???? That´s the worst quality ever. Get real!

I think the local SE Asian pangasius is worse.... by a long distance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/4/2022 at 10:18 PM, ESLTeacher1989 said:

How dangerous is it to eat though........those fish be swimming in the dirty mekong river full of ****...........those fish are literally fed **** for their food

That's why I generally won't eat any Thai or China sourced seafood....

As Spidermanmike alluded above, with China, you have no idea what you're getting, what they've done to it, or how it's been adulterated.

With Thailand, you've got local Pangasius and mass farm grown salmon raised in polluted pens that have been stuffed with antibiotics, fish feed made from fish sh**, and who knows what else, along with a documented past history of the locals adding orange food coloring to their salmon.

With fish and seafood especially, you need/want to be able to trust the supply chain. And I just don't here, when it comes to supermarket sold seafood.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/4/2022 at 5:23 PM, spidermike007 said:

I really try to avoid most food products from China. Who knows what they do to them and how they are processed. The safety standards seem to be next to nil, and the ethical part of the equation does not exist. Not to mention the frequently low quality. 

Just say no to China. If possible. 

I'm the same. I won't knowingly buy food products from there.

Even the Chinese tourists that come here seem to mass buy and ship home stacks of Thai food products. Maybe for profit, and maybe they know it must be better quality than what they can get back home.