Scratch on wing - insurance or out of pocket

recom273

This morning the wife found a radio tower with metal ropes terminating in the ground. The front wheel arch received a bit of scratching as she rubbed up against the steel rope. Not the end of the world, but the truck is only 8 months old so we will look to get it repaired. 

Insurance is “standard” Toyota insurance that came with the car. If it was back in the UK, I think I would probably pay for it out of my pocket, fearing a loss of no claims bonus, saving very little after the excess, etc.

Has anyone had a similar experience, I know a lot is dependent on the policy and the quote, but what’s the general rule of thumb for minor damage? Use the policy or pay out of pocket? Is the NCB worth even worrying about?

I’m not even sure if she should have come home. Are you supposed to call the insurance man on site? 

If me or Mrs NL do something inconsequential like the OP's missus, it's added to the half-a-dozen other inconsequential dings and scrapes and once a year, we turn it over to our favorite local panel and paint shop. Two or three days and 3000 to 5000 baht later, it's like a bought one (again).

Our NCB is 50%.

• Love It 1

39 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

If me or Mrs NL do something inconsequential like the OP's missus, it's added to the half-a-dozen other inconsequential dings and scrapes and once a year, we turn it over to our favorite local panel and paint shop. Two or three days and 3000 to 5000 baht later, it's like a bought one (again).

Our NCB is 50%.

That's definitely the way to do it! I suppose our tailgate is inconsequential but the front wing is a little bit more after a manoeuvring dispute with a PEA pole. Our Mighty X still had the original paint from 1995 so it was time for a full respray. We got two quotes, one was for 17,000 and the other 11,000. We went for the cheaper one which included a new tailgate.

2019-06-25 16.09.10.jpg

2018-05-31 14.49.49.jpg

23 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Our NCB is 50%.

The post was mostly about the NCB rather than a spray job.

So, you don’t claim on the insurance for these odd jobs? I have been told by others (Thai and westerner) that the NCB Isn’t worth worrying about .. true or false? I would like a 50% on my insurance for starters.

And i did suggest holding on a while before we push ahead, but it’s just really annoying on an otherwise immaculate truck.

My GF scratched the front bumper, estimate was 1500 baht. She said do it on insurance, the cost was 3000 baht, and our excess was 3000 baht. Lesson learned, pay out of pocket unless it is major, as the shops jack up the price to the insurance company  if they know it will be paid by them.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

My GF scratched the front bumper, estimate was 1500 baht. She said do it on insurance, the cost was 3000 baht, and our excess was 3000 baht. Lesson learned, pay out of pocket unless it is major, as the shops jack up the price to the insurance company  if they know it will be paid by them.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear.

• Like 1

We've repaired various small self-inflicted dents on cars here. We have first class insurance. The payment was about 1000 baht / damage. it really didn't affect our following yearly insurance payments. 

Also, unless it's major damage, I'd in future avoid resprays. Sometimes you will see the paint does not perfectly match (our blue car was hard to match correctly - from 2 shops). It's better to pull small dents out if possible and touch up stone chips.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

DavisH seems to disagree though. Minor repairs claimed for on First Class cover not affecting renewal premiums. Some of us can't comment on that because we don't have Comprehensive Motor Insurance.  

It's something I need to look into - I can contact the insurance company, now I have passed my driving test ????

• Haha 1